Need Help Choosing A Name!

Guest Kaila

Some of you might remember the first post that I made here where I was seeking advice about Greyhounds as service dogs. I'm SO HAPPY to announce that I've found my service dog candidate! But now I need a name!

I got a little ahead of myself and sent a tag to be engraved and riveted onto a collar that I'm having made for him. (Can you tell he's going to be spoiled or what?) His current name is "Storm" (aka Stormy). But it doesn't seem to match his sunny, happy disposition. He's a small fry, just under 70 pounds, and a total lovebug. Here are some pictures:

5A2F0D31-928E-462E-8872-3D5915A48DF7-974-0000009059A5C8D9.jpg

4EEED363-F942-4B96-983F-3B0EF8832DCE-974-00000090D0E1FDC4.jpg

CBCE5079-BB4B-46DA-AA57-6E93C240B762-974-000000907BDEC25A_zps439ccae0.jpg

7FE02903-0237-4D39-8A62-547D23BCB921-974-00000090B7ABB609_zps7037d01e.jpg

They haven't made his collar yet.. so I'm going to get a new tag engraved if I can JUST come up with a suitable name! Nothing I like seems to fit! Here are some on my list, but please feel free to recommend anything else that you like too. :)

- Zeke

- Harvey

- Henry

- Darby

- Wally

I'm seriously considering leaving his name as Storm.. It'll grow on me, right? But I figured I would ask what you guys thought he should be named, and if something really jumped out at me I could always change my mind.. ;) I'm just glad to hear that his training is going well and he's a happy, healthy boy.

Edited by Kaila

He's gorgeous. I'm not the one to ask about names though, I kept all or part of all my dogs racing names. Mine recognized their names so I didn't change them.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

So happy you found your service dog! I like all the names, even Storm so I'm not much help but now that I look more closely, I think he could be a Zeke.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Aw, I do love a tuxedo hound! Congratulations on your handsome boy. Does he recognize his name? Or does he respond to any of the ones you listed? If so, you may have your answer :) . Have fun with him!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Does he respond to Storm? Even if he does, you can change it, though you might consider it a bit more. My JJ was "What a Story" and responds to "Story" so I am assuming that's what they called him....I actually call him JJ - but will occasionally squeel "Story" or "What a Story" and he tears around the yard smiling.

That all being said....I think Wally is adorable given his career as a service dog. Extremely friendly sounding!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Nycelle

He's is beautiful! I like Storm, actually. But I think Darby is awesome. I'm a big fan of "ee" sounds-I think it makes it easier for the dog to learn.

Wishing you both the best as you start your adventures together!

I like Zeke a lot, but I say call him whatever you like best. He will learn to respond to a new name in a matter of days if you decide to change it. He's a very handsome boy. Congratulations!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Perhaps you could call him the opposite of Stormy which is Sunny or Sonny. I'm sure he'll respond to whatever you call him.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

A few people thought he looked like a Zeke and I do as well, but I really love the name Wally; it's so down-to-earth and endearing!

But I also know what you mean about feeling kinda funny about changing it, since he comes running to the trainer when she calls him in the video. But of course, he'd get used to a new name, too. Gee, not much hellp here, am I? After all that, I think I like "Wally" best.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

How about Izzy ?? That would be a fun name for a fun hound.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Ooooo I love Izzy. But otherwise Wally is my favorite, I agree with others that its very approachable sounding.

Our boy was 'Willie' when we got him, and he seemed to know it. But we changed it to something more fitting and he learned it within a couple of days... he doesn't respond to his old name at all now. No regrets!

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

But I also know what you mean about feeling kinda funny about changing it, since he comes running to the trainer when she calls him in the video.

That's where my hesitation comes from. If he were just going to be a regular pet dog, I would change it and not be bothered by it. But because he's working for months with a trainer to be a service dog AND he already knows his name, I feel like changing it might mess up his training. :\ His recall is so good (and this is in the very early stages of training, he still has many months ahead of him)--I don't want to risk messing him up!

I did consider Izzy (since his racing name was Izz Our Storm), but it sort of reminds me of Isabelle. Too girly, I thought. :\

I actually like Stormy best. It's a great greyhound name showing the power they have when racing.

Wally would be a good name for a basset, but not a grey. I'm showing my age but every time I called for Wally images of Tony Dow would dance in my head.

If he already knows his name I'd certainly leave it. He's got enough change on his plate already. Don't think of storm as bad, think of it as powerful.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

It seems like people are split between Wally and Storm! ^_^ He's still a youngin', only turning 2 years old on October 28th, so he's still a sweet puppy at heart and SO eager to learn. I'm looking forward to partnering with him, for sure. :wub:

But I also know what you mean about feeling kinda funny about changing it, since he comes running to the trainer when she calls him in the video.

That's where my hesitation comes from. If he were just going to be a regular pet dog, I would change it and not be bothered by it. But because he's working for months with a trainer to be a service dog AND he already knows his name, I feel like changing it might mess up his training. :\ His recall is so good (and this is in the very early stages of training, he still has many months ahead of him)--I don't want to risk messing him up!

I did consider Izzy (since his racing name was Izz Our Storm), but it sort of reminds me of Isabelle. Too girly, I thought. :\

What about asking the trainer if she thinks a name change would affect his training negatively? Or you could maybe even choose the name you like, and then ask the trainer to use "Stormy Wally" (or whichever name you choose) when she calls him and then when he learns that, eventually drop the "Stormy".

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop