Jack's Diagnosis Is In

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's doing well, thanks for asking. :). Went for blood work today, and the vet is pleased with his progress. Poop is really runny, though. He is eating about 6 cups of ultra low fat food daily, and is not losing weight. :yay

Will get bloodwork results by Thursday.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Oh I wish you the best with this, prayers are with you.

The poop will change if its a different diet and will for a few days, add some pumpkin or make some cooked ground beef/chicken or turkey w/pumpkin to help get the poop under control.

good luck Jack, you are in greyt hands!

Kathy

p.s. if your vet isn't educated on natural supplements, they will be the first to say no. Speaking from someone who has a lymphoma dog survivor 6 months now w/no signs of it. We did the treatment and I also consulted w/Dr Becker a natural vet who agreed w/the treatment and then gave extra natural supplements to clean the body and help fight to keep the cancer in remission. You can do a phone consultation with her too....she is a world of knowledge.

Edited by gr8kids

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.

Forgot to add that he will be starting on prednisone. We have to see how the bloodwork comes out first. She is concerned about his albumin level, as well as protein. He is currently on pepcid, flagyl, and clavamox.

She did say he seems to be doing well, and there's no fluid in his gut--which means the bowel repair is holding.

I have to take him weekly for blood work, at least for awhile.

Glad to hear he is holding his own!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Honestly, I have been amazed at how well he's done. Aside from the diarrhea, that is. If *I* had had similar surgery, I would probably still be whining. :lol. He was under anesthesia for FOUR HOURS.

He is still thin--73.8 yesterday, when his normal weight is more like close to 85--but at least he didn't lose since last week.

If we can get this under control, I won't even complain about the price of the food. :lol. Promise. :lol

Edited by rascalsmom

Blood work results: total protein is up, to 4.3. Albumin is up a bit, from 2 on 9/27 to 2.3 now. Liver enzymes are normal.

Jack will be starting on prednisolone as soon as I get the prescription.

Hopefully this will work. But so far, everything is heading in the right direction! :)

GO JACK!!!!!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

go Jack!!!! :yay

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Many prayers for this to be managable!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

This is so frustrating. I got the 'script for the prednisolone--the vet clinic doesn't keep it on hand--and took it to the pharmacy to get filled. It was for tablets. The pharmacist tells me he only has it in SYRUP and eye drops. He calls the vet, and then he calls me back. They decided to use the syrup!! I am rather upset about this--he needs to get more than 1.5 teaspoons (8ml) twice daily, and this stuff smells like a kid's grape medicine. He does not like it, it is hard to get it into him. Tablets would be SOOO much easier, he will take any kind of pill in a gob of canned dog food.

Why doesn't someone have the tablets??!!

We are about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh. This is really ticking me off. It's stressful enough going through all of this--ultrasound, surgery, and now all these rather expensive meds and we have to give him SYRUP??

Prednisolone is on backorder. Our clinic was running low, and we've been trying to get it for the past month or two with no luck, and the distributors don't even have a release date. From what I can find, apparently prednisolone tablets are only produced by 1 manufacturer, unlike many generic drugs that are produced by multiple manufacturers.

Is there a particular reason your vet wants Jack on prednisolone instead of prednisone? Prednisone is converted into prednisolone by the liver in dogs (and in most other species), so the 2 are considered pretty interchangeable as long as liver function is normal.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg