Jack's Diagnosis Is In

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please member that corticosteroids like pred will just melt muscle mass off of gh's. This is one of the many reasons I found budesonide favorable over pred. I would not expect Jack to gain weight while on the pred.

:( well, the vet hopes to change his meds at some point, and budesonide is one she is considering.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Thanks for asking. :). He is doing OK... still eating quite a bit, but still might be losing weight. I don't know for sure if he is, or if I am just hypersensitive to it....we will know next Tuesday for sure. His poop is marginally better, but still very soft.

He has been a bit less enthusiastic about eating, so maybe that means he is absorbing more....also not pooping as often and I guess that could also mean he is absorbing more nutrients. His incision is nicely healed, too. :). Now if he could just get some meat back on his bones!

Another dip in the roller coaster ride that is Jack's condition. :(

He was limping horribly this morning, so off to the vet we went. They xrayed his leg (rear) and found that the bone looks fine.

Vet thinks it "could" be a blood clot, since pred can cause clots. If it is, his leg should swell, bruise, and be cold.

If it's a clot, aspirin therapy 'could' help, but due to his disease, he's not really a candidate for aspirin therapy. Sometimes, she said, dogs have to be put down due to a clot. She has only seen a dog with a clot once before.

She also says she doesn't think his weight loss is due to the pred, but due to his disease. Don't know if I agree with that. Since 9 days ago he has lost another four pounds--down to 68, keep in mind he was 85 when we got him less than three years ago. :(

This whole thing really sucks.

Yes, it does really suck :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Can't stress this enough-pred melts muscle mass off of hounds! Their weight may stay the same but, the fat/muscle ratio will change. Also, please check Jacks urine-look for protein. Yes, pred can cause clots but, if he's tossing protein in his urine that can predispose him to clots too. One final thought-he can be a candidate for aspirin therapy. One of my girls was being treated for an immune mediated disease and was on a immune suppressant dose of pred -she also was also losing protein (secondary to her immune disease) via her kidneys (for the vets out there her UPC was 9!)--Couto put her on 20mgs of aspirin daily. Now she was on tummy meds but, never developed any bad side effects do to the combo. Most vets will tell you that you can't use the two concurrently but, according to Dr Couto the aspirin is a low enough dose so you can.

Hang in there Jack. Maybe I missed it but, did the histopath come back on the mass?

The mass was "clogged lymphatics and necrotic tissue".

Tonight Jack is bearing more weight on his leg but is still kind of loopy from the pain shot they gave him.

Seems like every day, lately, brings a new issue. This morning his front leg is swollen, around the 'wrist'.

I guess that if something can go wrong, it will. And we are all getting very tired of it--especially Jack. He is just not himself at all the past two days. :(

I can't imagine your sorrow.

Godspeed, good boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am stunned and heartbroken for you. I am so very sorry.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

My heart is breaking for you. I know how much he was loved by you and your family. :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I just can't believe it. I'm sorry.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:cry1 I'm so very sorry!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--