I...need...to...breathe...and Have A Drink...

Guest lovnmygreys

Guest lovnmygreys

Ok, this is the first time that I have posted something when I was angry. Let me start by saying I didn't touch or even raise my voice at the doggies, I know that they don't know any better. But O.M.G. they dug a hole into my 1 1/2 year old couch. :angryfire I don't know what to do with these two. They are already muzzled all day because they destroy things when they aren't. My house isn't really conducive to corralling them in any particular room if they are going to have access to the doggie door, and I DO NOT want to crate them all day. How do I teach these freaking cute as hell greyhounds that there are just some things that they can't do?! :shakefinger:rules Then, how do I go about fixing my couch?! It's a fully connected cushion on the recliner end of the sofa. I'm thinking I'll have to have a professional upholsterer take care of it. So until then, how do I keep the OFF the couch while we are at work?

I'm not sure, but I think the most infuriating part is that they are so damn cute and it's really hard to stay mad at them. I...must...stay...strong...

Oh...let me add, that we cover the couch with a huge blanket, plus we have towels tucked in under the blanket...grrrrrrrr

That's why they tore up the sofa. If you put any sort of blanket on it they will try and nest in it and the couch was in the way.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

May I ask why you don't want to crate them or corral them? Are there incontinence issues that require access to the doggie door? How old are they?

I know you obviously want them to make sure of the doggie door since you have one, but if neither is a senior or has a medical issue that would prevent them from holding it for a reasonable amount of time (i.e. half to a full working day depending on if you can go home at lunch) then I would say scrap the doggie door access for now until they are less destructive.

Is not wanting to crate them an extension of wanting them to use the dog door or is it that you feel like a mean person putting them into crates? Do they hurt themselves trying to escape crates? My general opinion is that the crate is a tool to be utilized. It's not mean and it is in everyone's best interest unless you have one of those dogs that goes beserk. Tearing up a couch is not healthy for you and it's not good for the dogs. Chances are they aren't eating the things they destroy but you don't know for sure. And next time they might damage something dangerous... something heavy that falls on top of them or an electrical wire that could kill them or start a fire.

If there is nothing that precludes the use of a crate or a doggie door I would go there and see how it goes. Don't feel like a bad person. Just do it. And of course provide them plenty of mental stimulation in their crates as well as when you are home. Take them to obedience classes to teach them rules and self control. Make sure they're getting enough exercise before you leave them in the morning too. Good luck!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Greys are so dang cute its hard to discipline them....I completely understand! I have a 3 year old that is a land shark, the only thing I have found was bitter apple spray. It has been the cure all, some people say it doesn't work, but it works for mine. I think if you try it and it has no effect then try fooey spray and it should work. People seem to say usually one or the other will work.

I spray it on everything she could possible get her mouth on and since I have started doing that I have not had any problems!

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

A friend of mine puts mouse traps on her sofa and chair when she's out. They aren't the wood type, but made out of some kind of plastic. That works for her.

Another thought is to get the clear plastic runners that you put on carpet to keep high traffic areas clean. They have little pointy things (technical term here) on the back. You can turn the runner over so the pointy things face up. I think if they jump on that one time they might get the hint.

I feel your pain. I've had greyhounds that like to destroy things too, and it's not fun! Kiss their cute noses for me though.

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

Sorry that happened. It's very unfortunate. I do know how you feel. Had a Lab rip the arm off a sofa one. Seriously, it took her approx 3 min.

If they are getting into trouble you need to restrict their access to the house. Like Krissy, I am wondering your reason for not wanting them crated. Crates can be a real blessing, especially if you have a floor plan that makes baby gates, closed doorways or xpens difficult to use or dogs who will not respect those boundaries. We use all of that options at times. In fact, we're using all of those currently.

As for the question about the sofa, I have a suggestion. Let me preface this by saying I do my utmost to avoid aversive training techniques but admit I have in the past used a particular product specifically for keeping dogs off the sofa. It is not for dogs who are noise sensitive. Also, it will essentially punish all the dogs even if only one is getting on the sofa. The product is called the "Sofa Scram" & it makes a screamy alarm type noise leading my critter sitter to refer to it as the sofa-screamer. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750650 We used it off & on for years. It worked for all but two dogs. One learned to tolerate noise long enough to evict it off the sofa. The other, our Luna-tic, considered it a toy! This is not an item to be used in a house with anxious or noise sensitive dogs. It is essentially a very annoying deterrent.

if no one home here the dogs are outside, I don't have a very trusting nature lol Fortunately we have sheltered areas for the dogs from the rain and wind and the sun in the hot weather and they have access to the backyard which looks a little like an open cut mine sometimes. Did wonder if I could send the digger up to a mining community to make some big money :hehe They also have their day beds outside as well. The night bed is the couch for one and an armchair for the other dog. My dogs can also see out into the street through a gate so know what is going on all the time. I have come home to a destroyed dog mattress outside and toys minus the stuffing but that is a lot better than the couch.

A friend of mine puts mouse traps on her sofa and chair when she's out. They aren't the wood type, but made out of some kind of plastic. That works for her.

:( ouch they hurt, I had a cat bring in and drop a live mouse once. I got paranoid and bought plastic traps the next day, didn't catch anything so she must have dealt with it. Anyway some months later a piece of paper slipped behind a cupboard so I got on ground and put my arm behind the cupboard and tried to get it and bang a forgotten mouse trap got my finger. ouch ouch ouch it sure hurt but I did see the funny side of it

Don't leave the traps SET on the couch - snap them in front of them a few times, then move them to the couch, and snap them there in front of them. Then you can leave them on the couch unset. One of cour clients does this for their dog.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

When I needed to keep Doc off the chaiselongue (when he'd hurt his back and wasn't meant to jump up) I just left an upturned wooden stool on the middle of its seat when I went out. Could you do something similar?

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

When I needed to keep Doc off the chaiselongue (when he'd hurt his back and wasn't meant to jump up) I just left an upturned wooden stool on the middle of its seat when I went out. Could you do something similar?

actually I think that is a bloody good idea, or even lay a dining room chair on it

Put a string, or two, of clean aluminum cans, with the string ends tucked in so the cans can't be pulled off. Put them close enough to make noise if they're disturbed. The noise may deter them and no doubt they won't want to lay on them.

ETA: I'd be very upset too but like you, I'd be upset at the end result, not my girl. Annie B is a very easy going dog and I can't imagine her doing something to cause anger, but I know that no matter what she might do, I would understand and love her just as much.

Edited by Feisty49

When we dog sit I just pile pillows and blankets on areas where I don't want the dogs to jump on to which works...along with really comfy pillows all over the floor.

I admire you for looking for an alternate solution to crating.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest KennelMom

an upside down carpet runner worked for us. There are some greys that figure out how to pull it off, but it's nice b/c you can cut it to fit where you need it to and it's not too expensive. It can usually just slide under the furniture when not in use, or roll up and store in a closet.

I feel your pain! Have had lots of stuff destroyed by the houndies over the years. I agree with Judy - putting blankies on the sofa can actually encourage the nesting behavior.

Guest lovnmygreys

Seriously you didn't scream and yell? Lol better than me.... Crates would have been set up within minutes. Being loose is a privelge that has to be earned. Luckily I only have only naughty one, not two!

Oh believe me, if I had actually seen it happening I think it would have been a very different story. But I know that all it would have accomplished at that point would be anxiety for them and a coronary for me. :headwall The crate idea bugs me because we are not home for a minimum of 9 hours a day. That would totally suck.

an upside down carpet runner worked for us. There are some greys that figure out how to pull it off, but it's nice b/c you can cut it to fit where you need it to and it's not too expensive. It can usually just slide under the furniture when not in use, or roll up and store in a closet.

I feel your pain! Have had lots of stuff destroyed by the houndies over the years. I agree with Judy - putting blankies on the sofa can actually encourage the nesting behavior.

DH is getting some carpet runner on his way home today. Already took the measurements. :nod

The crate idea bugs me because we are not home for a minimum of 9 hours a day. That would totally suck.

Fair enough however it is not a permanent situation. It is a temporary means to prevent damage and injury to the dogs while you reconfigure routines and train. Do not underestimate what mental stimulation and exercise can do. I am assuming that your dogs are destroying things because they are bored and not because of separation anxiety. If they are bored you need to rectify that by giving them constructive things to do. The crate is simply to keep everyone (and everything) safe while you implement those changes.

For example, last summer Summit and I were traveling around a lot and in our one housing situation he had anxiety that he'd never had before and actually chewed a hole in a door frame. I brought his crate from home to prevent him from causing any more damage but I also immediately signed him up for an obedience class (it was a level he'd already done but it was just to give him something constructive that we could do together) and started jogging him on his morning walks. I also found a park nearby with a playground where I could ask him for behaviours similar to those he does in agility, jumping over bars and up onto platforms. I bought him some new puzzle toys that he could work on in his crate. That solved the issue completely and nullified the need for the crate. It was a temporary measure. I didn't feel bad about it even though I was gone 9-10 hours a day (for the first week I came home at lunch and jogged him on my break to tire him out more).

If there is an alternative to a crate that works for your guys then that is great! My comment was more to just suggest that you not completely rule it out. It can be an important safety tool while you work things out.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

if no one home here the dogs are outside, I don't have a very trusting nature lol Fortunately we have sheltered areas for the dogs from the rain and wind and the sun in the hot weather and they have access to the backyard which looks a little like an open cut mine sometimes. Did wonder if I could send the digger up to a mining community to make some big money :hehe They also have their day beds outside as well. The night bed is the couch for one and an armchair for the other dog. My dogs can also see out into the street through a gate so know what is going on all the time. I have come home to a destroyed dog mattress outside and toys minus the stuffing but that is a lot better than the couch.

Although its the norm in Australia for people to leave dogs outside, it isn't necessarily in the USA or other places, and it isn't really even the norm for many greys in Australia. The extremes of temperature especially in summer are incredibly difficult for greys to manage (mine are starting to struggle a bit now and we're still in spring), the parasites and reptiles, the potential for them to kill wandering cats or wildlife, for which in most places you will be responsible even if your dog is on your property, and the potential for injury through rough play or running into a ole or sticks, means that many people leave their greys indoors. I certainly do.

Fortunately, my two tend to sleep when we're out, and all the rough play tends to happen when we're at home.

With the exception of one day when all the bedclothes were on the floor. Couldn't work out why till, after re-making the bed, I watched them take it in turns to run and launch themselves onto our bed, sliding with the covers across the bed to the floor. :rofl

Joe likes to nest into our mattress, so we just pile a ton of junk on the bed when we leave. It's mainly cardboard boxes, but also the ironing board, shoes, hangers and whatever else is laying around. We don't care much how stuff looks, so having a junk pile is fine. Wouldn't work for clean types, though!

Second the carpet runner idea for the sofa seats. When the terrier was a couch eater draping throws over the arms and back DID keep him from eating them.

Just wondering where the dog door is and why you can't gate an area off that allows them access to the door and not the sofa.. There are very wide dog gates available.

Joe likes to nest into our mattress, so we just pile a ton of junk on the bed when we leave. It's mainly cardboard boxes, but also the ironing board, shoes, hangers and whatever else is laying around. We don't care much how stuff looks, so having a junk pile is fine. Wouldn't work for clean types, though!

:lol

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Although its the norm in Australia for people to leave dogs outside, it isn't necessarily in the USA or other places, and it isn't really even the norm for many greys in Australia. The extremes of temperature especially in summer are incredibly difficult for greys to manage (mine are starting to struggle a bit now and we're still in spring), the parasites and reptiles, the potential for them to kill wandering cats or wildlife, for which in most places you will be responsible even if your dog is on your property, and the potential for injury through rough play or running into a ole or sticks, means that many people leave their greys indoors. I certainly do.

. :rofl

the only wildlife is birds and they usually come into front yard for water I leave out, I did have a lizard in backyard once that our dogs unfortunately got, never had a cat that wasn't ours in our backyard, they all know we got dogs I guess, I no longer have cats. We have heaps of sheltered areas for the dogs so they are protected from the heat and rain and wind. I will put a wading pool out for summer. I work part time so I'm usually home just after lunch time so that is about the time the real heat comes in so they are not out in the hottest part of the day. Bobby likes to dig holes to lay in for insulation as well, our back yard resembles an open cup mine at times.