Dogs Killed One Of My Cats...

I'm at a loss right now. I came home, and the dogs, presumably Payne, killed one of our cats. I don't know what happened. I'm utterly devastated. Some of you might remember my thread about Tia, the 6-week-old kitten we found on the side of the highway. Unfortunately, she was the one it happened to... This is shocking. I'm scared for my other cats. I don't know what to do. Help!

Edited by a_daerr

The dogs should be muzzled while you are gone - as they can attack each other or other animals especially since you now have three dogs. Can you put the cats in a separate room?

My three dogs are always muzzled when I am gone and I also put my seizure girl in a separate room with baby gates.

edited to add-- I'm sorry this happened, RIP little kitty

Edited by MaryJane

I'm sorry for your loss.. and the shock.

Kittens are not like cats as far as many dogs are concerned.

They squeak, they ignore signals, cues, boundaries and danger and lack common sense.

Curiosity... as the saying goes...

I have a mature cat AND a 4 month old kitten. I make sure the kitten and his litterbox is in the bathroom at night so I don't have to worry that his antics are bothering a sleeping greyhound.

Also if kitty is very active and I have to go out on an errand.

Grey is very patient and will give a whine when he has been tested and has had enough.

We have a squirt bottle to remind kitty that grey doesn't want to share his bed.

Likely in your case the mature cats are fine, they know the unwritten rules.

Edited by Laur

Guest houndog990

I'm sorry for your loss.. and the shock.

Kittens are not like cats as far as many dogs are concerned.

They squeak, they ignore signals, cues, boundaries and danger and lack common sense.

Curiosity... as the saying goes...

Likely in your case the mature cats are fine, they know the unwritten rules.

yes sorry for your loss. it IS terrible. i have a kitten killer- however she is fine with cats. unless they were in the dog yard.

Sorry for your loss.

As others ahve said...Muzzles should be worn.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I am sorry for your loss....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest HoundWorks

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the shock. I do know that my boy acts very differently towards squeaking kittens than full grown cats. Like it was mentioned above I think it's the lack of cues, the way they move and the noises they can make. RIP little Tia :(

I'm so sorry for you....Please understand that your hounds only did what is natural for some.

Mine are muzzled when I am not home for fear of the cat. He's pretty strong, but I worry about him being cornered. I also have babygates to the upstairs. I keep them just above the floor (like six inches) locked into the walls raised like that so that cat can go under and head upstairs - and I do that for the basement as well.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Oh, how tragic! No words of wisdom from me; I just wish words could comfort you.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, little Tia.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

So sorry to hear about your kitten. :( You posted a couple weeks ago about Payne being 'hot and cold' with the cats. Were you separating them when you were away? I'm probably overly cautious, but even though my dogs are completely cat safe, my hounds are crated and the cats are closed in another part of the house when I'm not home.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

We do have two rooms upstairs that are "cat only" rooms. They have baby gates with smaller holes that only the cats can fit through. One room has their food and water, the other has our guest bed and a bay window where they sit most of the day. Recently, we blocked off one of the rooms because my male cat started peeing in there. So... I don't know if Tia tried to run in and got cornered. She was definitely the most brazen with the dogs and was not afraid to be around them. I really don't know what happened. I'm just shocked and saddened over the whole thing. I did so much to keep that little kitten alive, and now she's gone...

I guess I took for granted that Henry and Truman are truly "cat safe" dogs. I thought that once we got past the initial curious phase, Payne would be the same way. I don't blame him for what happened. It was my own stupid fault for not keeping a muzzle on him unsupervised. It's just so weird because I've seen Tia walk up to him on his bed, play with his tail, roll balls past him... he barely glanced in her direction anymore. He has discovered toys lately, and he's been playing more and more with squeaky toys and stuffies. Maybe he just got wound up and reverted back to his instincts.

Either way, I'm thinking that this is probably my answer regarding whether or not to keep him... as much as I love him, I could never fully trust him alone with the cats. I never want to go through something like this again.

I think you hit it on the head...He's beginning to play with is toys...that's why I don't trust JJ with the cat....he loves to make his toys squeak and shake them, etc.

If you muzzle Payne, you won't have to worry about your other cats...then he can stay with you....

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Ouch. I can see how once the dog seems cat safe for a while, its so easy to forget about ingrained behaviors from his previous life. I'm so sorry for your cat, and I hope you don't have a guilty conscience for it. It is one of those situations that carries a very high price. On a different note, it is indeed a lesson that you can now share with other grey + cat owners for everyones safety. Our grey has never shown interest in our cats, but I know after reading this I will be extra cautious to muzzle him when I'm not around, just in case.

Sorry for your loss but thank you for sharing.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Guest apocalyp

Remember though if you muzzle Payne you have to muzzle the other as well. It's unfair if he has to defend himself if he's the only one muzzled. I'm sorry for your loss and from now on don't take any chances, they're animals and although they may seem fine one minute, they can turn in a second.

Best of luck with your pack.

I am very sorry. Personally I agree this may be a sign that Payne may not be right for your household. Yes, you can and should muzzle your pups when you're out and I know you know that now but I would be nervous if I had cats. Both my boys were 'supposed' to be cat safe however I would not have trusted them for a moment as I have seen what they do with furry things that run or squeak and truly believe that their instincts would kick in. Payne likely didn't know any better and the kitten to him for some reason looked/acted like a toy. It doesn't take much for one of these pups to kill a kitten. Again I am sorry and if you choose to keep Payne, then muzzle always when you are out and if you forget (we've done this), turn around and go back home and muzzle them. You will be glad you did.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Ouch. I can see how once the dog seems cat safe for a while, its so easy to forget about ingrained behaviors from his previous life. I'm so sorry for your cat, and I hope you don't have a guilty conscience for it.

Thanks, I do... but this means a lot.

I think you hit it on the head...He's beginning to play with is toys...that's why I don't trust JJ with the cat....he loves to make his toys squeak and shake them, etc.

That's what I figured happened. It wasn't a vicious attack. No blood, no puncture marks. It looks like he just picked her up in his mouth and shook her- probably broke her neck. A few months ago, we had an incident with my other two outside and they got a squirrel. They didn't kill it though, just shook it and carried it around for awhile.

Edited by a_daerr

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'm glad to see that you're not blaming the dogs though. They did nothing wrong. We currently have 3 greys and 3 cats. Our greys are not muzzled or crated either, but our cats are all adults. I can see now how things would be different with a kitten. RIP Tia.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

We do have two rooms upstairs that are "cat only" rooms. They have baby gates with smaller holes that only the cats can fit through. One room has their food and water, the other has our guest bed and a bay window where they sit most of the day. Recently, we blocked off one of the rooms because my male cat started peeing in there. So... I don't know if Tia tried to run in and got cornered. She was definitely the most brazen with the dogs and was not afraid to be around them. I really don't know what happened. I'm just shocked and saddened over the whole thing. I did so much to keep that little kitten alive, and now she's gone...

I guess I took for granted that Henry and Truman are truly "cat safe" dogs. I thought that once we got past the initial curious phase, Payne would be the same way. I don't blame him for what happened. It was my own stupid fault for not keeping a muzzle on him unsupervised. It's just so weird because I've seen Tia walk up to him on his bed, play with his tail, roll balls past him... he barely glanced in her direction anymore. He has discovered toys lately, and he's been playing more and more with squeaky toys and stuffies. Maybe he just got wound up and reverted back to his instincts.

Either way, I'm thinking that this is probably my answer regarding whether or not to keep him... as much as I love him, I could never fully trust him alone with the cats. I never want to go through something like this again.

Please don't assume that it was Payne, you can't be sure - it could have been one of the other dogs.