Belly Trouble With Dustin - Need Advice

Ugh...now he has those horrible gurgles from going to long without food. I got a few pieces of bread in....and another sucralfate.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

After I got some bread in last night, the gurgles subsided. I think the grass eating desire at that point was connected to the gurgles....Unbelievable.

Five o'clock wake up ...no interest at all in his meal...but I offered no tempations either. I got a pepcid in him, though. Came home from barn at 7:30....had to entice him w/chicken broth and (though I hated to do it), a tiny bit of whipped cream (less than a tablespoon) spread on kibble...he ate maybe a little more than a quarter cup. I am watchin him now on the nanny cam and he is resting. From where I can see he hasn't gotten sick, but I can only see one of the bedrooms.

He has NOT pooped since yesterday morning. I am hoping that is simply becaue anything he ate came back the other way all day.

He is very lathargic on his walks, though. Breaking my heart....

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Hope it is just a passing 'bug'.

If he has not eaten .. or thrown up what he did eat... he will not poop.

I wouldn't look for poo until tomorrow...from today's breakfast.

:goodluck

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Oh, poor, poor boy :cry1 What time are you seeing the vet today?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Thanks, Nancie. That's what I was thinking.

The vet is at 4:00 today Kerry. I am heading home from work now...and will probably aim to get to the vet a bit early. This was supposed to be both boys annual physical.

Update on Dustin....

Had vet appointment this afternoon. He managed to eat about a 1/4 cup of ID this morning and 1/4 cup about an hour before vet appointment. His desire for it was poor, but at least I got it down....but still had to add to it - i.e. white thin sliced turkey...just a couple pieces.....

He held those both down.

Anyway....when she pressed on his lower belly/intestine area, he yelped! Of course, my brain just screamed BLOCKAGE.....she was concerned as well. However, XRAY showed huge gas pockets.

We are not sure why the vomiting....it is possible that the chicken was bad - given the cat getting sick on it - but given his fragile state, that could have sent him into this tail spin.

He is to continue w/the Flagyl and sucralfate until the dosage is done. Then five days of panacur.....I am concerned because he drank some water from his little pool. I try to keep it fresh, but if it sits 18 or 24 hours in the heat, I would imagine it could have parasites....and I usually try to dump it, but he may have gotten some.

She also has him on Proviable pro-biotic. It's two days worth of paste and about eight days of capsules.

Finally, the loss of interest in his food over the last several months is a concern - so he is gradually switching from the dry i/d to Royal Cannon dry with a little wet on top to entice him. I think that would have even enticed him over the I/D. The ingredients on this certainly look a lot better. I have never been thrilled w/ corn being the lead ingredient in I/D.

His spirits seem better since he has held some food in.

I can't thank you all enough for the advice....and just the comfort of knowing that you all are out there helps immensely!

Oh thank goodness he seems a little better after eating. Come on Dustin, keep eating!

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest SoulsMom

I once rushed Soul to the vet because he was acting very distressed for no reason at all. He even tried to eat the rugs. When they got him on his back for X-rays he let out a HUGE fart. After that he felt MUCH better. I call it our "$300 Fart Bill" Oh, these IBD dogs keep us on our toes! Hope the food change helps :kiss2

I once rushed Soul to the vet because he was acting very distressed for no reason at all. He even tried to eat the rugs. When they got him on his back for X-rays he let out a HUGE fart. After that he felt MUCH better. I call it our "$300 Fart Bill" Oh, these IBD dogs keep us on our toes! Hope the food change helps :kiss2

Wow...that is one expensive fart! Ironically, just before we went to the vet, he let out a pretty good burp and seemed to brighten. All I know is given how much gas was in there three hours ago...and the fact that he has not been farting, I am bracing myself for what may be coming!

OMG...Amber.....just as I finished typing that last line, a certain odor seemed to rise from the warm body lying next to me on the couch....and NO DH is KNOT home!!! LOL!!!!

It may be a very long night here!!!...But in a good way.......Keeping my fingers crossed for continued....uhm....emissions.....

Bet you never thought the day would come when you'd be excited about gaseous emissions!!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Bet you never thought the day would come when you'd be excited about gaseous emissions!!

I'm used to it with the horses, Nancy, but not the hounds!!! :) And somehow the horse emissions don't quite make ones eyes water!

How is Dustin this morning?

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Kyle...thanks for checking in.....

He seems much more like himself. He is still a bit "weak" looking, but his eyes are brighter. He has held food down since late Wednesday night...though I had to force feed him a bit of that. He LOVES the new food and has picked out the ID just to eat the Royal Canon special diet. He did poop this morning. It was soft - and looked like it had a small bit of digested blood (as it was dark), but overall, not bad.

He is a good boy and takes his probiotics - a paste - along with the probiotic capsule.

The vet really believed that he had a bad flare up and when he built up all the gas, the pain really took him down.....

Interesting...we hadn't discussed that. We chatted about pepcid in the future to settle the stomach.....but not something to relieve gas....something to consider.......

I've had several dogs that had to stay on pepcid and carafate for a long time.

He is just a sensitive soul. He will go onto the pepcid next week. Right now, between the carafate, flagyl, probiotic paste, probiotic capsule, and upcoming five days of panacur, she figure we should start that next week.