My Dreamer Is Gone...

Guest alwy151

Guest alwy151

I have been a serial lurker of GT for 3 years now. This board has been a great resource to me and husband from the beginning of becoming Greyparents. Thank you...

I have been overcome with grief and this is first place I decided to turn to help me get through the loss of my baby girl. Dreamer, was the sweetest dog in the world. Before getting her, I wasn't a "dog person" and avoided them. That all changed four years ago at a party when the host had a lovely sweet greyhound. From that moment, I was in love. The family gave my husband and I books on greyhounds before we decided to adopt our rescue Dreamer. We got Dreamer in May of 2009 and that was the best decision we made as a newly married couple. Dreamer, our girl was pretty easy to house-train (of course we had our share of accidents) but over the years she learned to talk to us. I can say our little girl was as precious as they come. Her personality evolved over the years and each day she showed us something new about her.

Being a grey she was a little skittish, well a lot-lol but she trusted us soooooooooo much. She knew that if I was about to clean and pull out the vacuum cleaner I would stay "up, up" and she would get up and go upstairs because she was terribly afraid of the vacuum cleaner. And she would stay upstairs until she knew I was done cleaning. Over the years, she made little new spots in the home. She went from just being in front of the fireplace to the lying between the living/dining room floor. From there to the stair landing, from there to the hallway, from there to foot of our bed, from there to the floor in the guest room. During the day she rotated from spot to spot. Her new spot the last few months was moving her bed from in from in front of fireplace to the under the coffee table-LOL

She greeted us both daily. She would look out the windown when she sensed either me or my husband coming home. She would also whimper when she saw one of us getting out of car. Now, those greys are fast! Normally, I would look at here in the window and smile while opening the side door. By the time I opened the door she was down the stairs, through the house, and at the kitchen entrance standing by the stairs (our window was on the staircase landing (one of her spots) and directly above the side door). Literally, as I turned the key she was there with a greyt smile. Now, that it was getting warmer the window was open so I would greet her from outside by saying, hey "ma-ma" my nickname for her. She loved that name, along with Dreamer, D, and DD.

She grew so much over 3 years. She learned to wake us in the morning, wait for us to take her out (not one accident in 2 years, except when she got sick last summer). She didn't have sleep agression, no food agression just a gentle baby.

On May 28, 2012 we lost her suddenly. She went out for her normal morning walk. My husband said her poop looked a little watery and he thought she might have worms or a tummy ache because she was trying to eat grass. He also said she didn't really want her food (well, I kind of had her trained not to eat until I put a little small treat in her kibble, yogurt, small piece of cheese, etc...) so that wasn't unsusal. We discussed taking her to the vet (being Memorial Day they were closed) I then suggested he contact our adoption agency because the owner knew A LOT on greys, naturally. Anyway, I got up went downstairs, she got up off her pillow walked over to me, I petted her. Then I suggested my husband take out again to pee (because when she gets tummy aches she has to go more). So, he took her out again, she pee'd. I watched them from inside the house she looke a little tired but herself. They came back in and then I proceeded to put a little shredded cheese in her kibble. I called her into the kitchen and she started to eat. I went upstairs to get my phone. When I came back down she was standing by her bed, looking at me with sad eyes. I was like po' baby you have a tummy ache. I walked into the kitchen and noticed she ate a little bit of the food/cheese. I thought maybe a yogurt would help but she turned up at it. I put in back in the fridge. By the time I came into the dining room she was sitting down. I called her, she came, I petted her on her head. On the way back to her bed she fell over and started convulsing. I've never been so scared in my life. My husband and I was a mess. We didn't know what to do! We called vet, of course, it's closed. I couldn't even comprehend the number the vm gave for the ER. I wrote the # wrong each time. To make a long story short, she died that moment. We still rushed her to the pet ER and they confirmed she was gone...

I do have regrets, I wish we tried CPR, I wish we took her to the ER that morning; I wish I would have gotten a necropsy. I spent the entire day crying my eyes out. Not having grown up with a dog/pet. I had no idea how much it would hurt! I cried, cried and cried. I still can't eat. I took a day and half off work because I couldn't handle going to work. I miss my sweet baby girl. I have this huge hole in my heart. So much of my life revolved around Dreamer "ma-ma". She was my baby girly, my only child and she's gone at young age of 7.

The pain is so real and so deep. I love you Dreamer, now run free...

8/11/2005-5/28/2012

gabi_d7b_ucsst.jpg

Edited by alwy151

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I am so SO sorry :( That is horrible. I lost a Borzoi that way. It was so crushing. I hope some day another Grey can help you heal.

Guest patgam

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry for the loss of Dreamer. What a beauty!

Your tribute was very touching.

Run free pretty Dreamer!!

:f_pink

Oh no! What a shock! I'm so very sorry. Please don't beat yourself up over this. It happened so fast and you did your very best for Dreamer. She had a very good life with you.

:f_pink

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest alwy151

Thank you Jenbo, robinw, greybookends, patgam and FastDogsOwnMe...

@FastDogsOwnMe, I will always be a Greymother and in a few months I will start looking. It's something about greys, they have a place in my heart.

Edited by alwy151

I'm so sorry your baby left you so suddenly! :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:grouphug My heart is breaking for you. :weep I'm so sorry. Dreamer -even her name is special. Someday after all the tears you will realize she will be with you always. Love is always stronger than the pain.

Dreamer maybe you can send your Mom a sign when the time is right sweetie.

:f_pink :f_pink :f_pink:f_red:gh_child

I'm sorry you didn't have more time with Dreamer! :brokenheart

Soon your memories will bring you joy ~ until then, know that you gave her a wonderful life and know that she loved you right back!

:candle:angelwings

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful Dreamer.

Remember all the good times you had with her......

:bighug

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

My gosh, what a horrible shock. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Your girl was obviously loved very much. My heart goes out to you.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am so sorry Dreamer is gone! Your words are proof of how much you loved her and how much she loved you and DH. I hope your memories help heal the jagged edges of your hearts. She would want you to remember with a smile on your face. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your beautiful girl. Try to forgive yourself--I have owned dogs my entire life and used to work as a vet tech for a number of years and would have made the same decisions you did. You made the best, most reasonable decisions you could have made with the information you had at the time.

The most important thing to remember is how much you love her and the great life you shared with her.

~Amanda

Guest alwy151

@ JillysFullHouse, BatterseaBrindl,HoundyGirl, Yankeegreyhound, RaineysMom, 3DogNite, racindog, Neighsayer, duncan41 and revamp thank you for your kind words.

I'm such a mess, I know things will get better daily.

@revamp, I trying so hard not to feel guilty. Yesterday, I ordered "Coping with Sorrow on the Lost of your pet" to help me get through this difficult time.

How awful for you. I am very sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl, Dreamer. Our John E was fine at breakfast and gone by lunchtime. You never know, so we must take each day one at a time and keep them special.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Oh I am soooo sorry. I don't even know what I would do if I saw one of my greys convulsing. Watching them break a leg is bad enough. Beleive me when I say, I know how you feel. The loss is so painful. Run free sweet Dreamer. If you see Angel tell him I said hi.

Sheila
Loved by

Mozart, Sherri, Xavier, McCleary, Tigger. Amelia and 2 Salukis Poppy and Zarah