9 Year Old Not Walking Right

Guest 4521walsh

Guest 4521walsh

Our 9 year old greyhound is limping badly and won't/can't put any pressure on his left hind leg. It's like he doesn't have any feeling in it. Vet is not open for a few hours. Any ideas from you more experienced owners what is going on? Thinking maybe dislocated hip?

Could be any number of things from minor to serious--Greta is always limping from one cause or another. As long as he is not showing signs of acute pain I suggest you just keep him quiet and still till the vet opens and you can get him there this morning. If there is a hot or swollen area, a cold compress will provide temporary relief while you wait. Never use heat on any injury without a vet's say-so. This is just my suggestion, I'm not a vet.

Edited by JaneW

Guest 4521walsh

Leg is not cold. Not sure if he injured it or its something else going on. Now it almost looks like he is losing motion in both hind legs! He has benn acting different lately. Not his chipper self. Notice him slowing down the last few months. Got him resting now and will head to the vet in an hour. Going to have a challenge getting an 80 lb dog into the car.

Thanks for your input and wish us (Lou and us) luck.

Best of luck. Sounds like a back / nerve issue, especially if there is any knuckling of a foot or lack of coordination or feeling. Discs are often the culprits, but anything where there could be swelling near the spinal cord (auto immune, bruising, etc) can cause it. Good luck at the vet - keep us posted.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

If you haven't left for the vet already, try this test. Take the dog's paw and turn it so he's standing on the top side. He should immediately correct it and put it pad side down. If it takes more than a second or so, then there's a neuro problem where the signal isn't getting from the foot to the brain. Try this on both rear paws, one at a time.

If it's just one paw/leg and isn't progressing, I'd wait til the regular vet opened. If it's gotten progressively worse in just a few hours, I'd go to the e-vet if the regular vet isn't open yet to try to stop the progression.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest 4521walsh

Lou has finally settle down and he is resting. Waiting for my wife to come home from work and then we are heading to the vet. He does not seem to be in pain right now. He seems more concerned about what is going on rather than in pain.

Guest 4521walsh

Lou did not make it. Very sad day here. My office buddy and best pal for the last 6 years passed away. By the time we loaded him into the van he could not walk at all. Had to get a stretcher at the vets to get him in there. The vet examined him and she said he either had a stroke or has cancer. Said we could try steroids for a day or two to see if he could recover. But as we sat there crying and trying to figure out what to do he kept getting worse. Just laying there and moaning with his tongue hanging out of his mouth. Looked like he was slipping into a coma. So we had to put him down.

What a great dog and a great friend. A gentle giant who did not bark once in the 6 years we enjoyed him (unless you count a few during his dreams). Did not have a mean bone in his body. The GK's loved him and he would play hide a seek with their toys when they where over. In fact did it just this Sunday when they where here for mothers day.

We noticed he had been slowing down over the last 3 months or so. Our normal 2 mile walk each morning which his enjoyed so much had become a chore these past few month and we even had to cut it short a few times.

Thanks for all your prayers and support. Lou is in a much better spot right now and so are we for having had the pleasure to be with him for 6 years. I saw a bumper sticker recently and when I saw it I told my wife "Wow how true"! The sticker said "who rescued who"?

I am so very sorry. I have been watching to see how Lou was fairing.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

My heart goes out to you. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Just seeing this. So sorry for your loss, and your pain! God Speed your Lou!

Sending lots of love from me, and our five seniors! Dee

I am so sad and sorry to read that Lou, passed. I was just checking to see an update.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm very sorry to hear about your boy :( Please note that this topic will get locked by the mods...all the ones in the health forum get locked if the greyhound goes to the bridge. Please feel free to post in the rememberance section when you are able. :grouphug

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss :( .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.