Brown Teeth

We had a dog returned recently from a group in RI. Donny was immediately brought in for a dental as his teeth were really bad. I went and visited him at the vets (they're boarding him for a bit) today and I saw his teeth were completely brown. I said I thought he had a dental and the woman said he did. Even the vets were shocked at how dark his teeth were stained. Apparently he didn't really need a dental, but the staining made it appear he did.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? I should have taken pictures, but I didn't think of it.

His racing name was Country Trey. Kiowa Sweet Trey x Country Lesson pup. Does anyone have any family of his that has this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Guest TheDoggfather

It occurs whenever the people are raising the pups include antibiotics in their feed when the dog is a pup - if fed on a continual basis, there's a strong liklihood the teeth will have that brownish tinge/stain to them. It's ugly alright.. I'd KILL for Icee to have pearly whites, but, unfortunately... well...

That being said, though the teeth are stained, I haven't seen any other negative effects.

Wow.....That seems odd. I can tell you that our EZ (who has horrible teeth) - even after his dentals did not end up with white teeth. I wonder if it's something that some of them are fed early on.... Just a thought.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Sometimes brown teeth can be caused from the mother receiving antibiotics during her pregnancy. All 4 of my litter mates have brown teeth from that.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest GreyMom1998

My vet made a remark about the grey tinge of my new girl's teeth. Said it was from antibiotics, ie: tetracycline, recieved while a pup.

She did say that the enamel needs to be watched as it is softer than normal due to the drugs.

Laura, Boz, Rosie & Belle the new kid

It occurs whenever the people are raising the pups include antibiotics in their feed when the dog is a pup - if fed on a continual basis, there's a strong liklihood the teeth will have that brownish tinge/stain to them. It's ugly alright.. I'd KILL for Icee to have pearly whites, but, unfortunately... well...

That being said, though the teeth are stained, I haven't seen any other negative effects.

Yup, what Chris said. Tetracycline teeth.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest DoofBert

If the dog was a bounce, the previous owners may have had a dental sealer put on the teeth. We had Samos applied to Tessa last year... One of side effects can be discololed teeth

Guest BrianRke

I just had Daytona's teeth cleaned. He has some brown stains on the back side of his teeth that cannot be removed. This is not uncommon. I take our kennel dogs to have dentals a couple times/month and about 1/3 have this.

I just had Daytona's teeth cleaned. He has some brown stains on the back side of his teeth that cannot be removed. This is not uncommon. I take our kennel dogs to have dentals a couple times/month and about 1/3 have this.

Every tooth was completely brown. I've never seen anything like it.

I thought the antibiotics made the teeth a sort of yellowish-brownish color. dunno.gif

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

For those of us old enough to remember, Tetracycline was the cause of many children's teeth turning grey or brown from a pregnant woman having taken it, and I believe also from it being prescribed to children. When it was discovered that was the cause of the staining, the drug was no longer given to those at risk. It makes sense that it would affect other mammals the same way.

I would love to see a picture-- is that possible?? I have seen some pretty narly staining but, it's usually isolated to just a few teeth.

If I see him again, I'll take pictures. Hes being boarded at a vets right now then he'll move into a foster home. At that point I'll see if someone can get pics if I can't.

Yup, what Chris said. Tetracycline teeth.

That's what I was thinking too. :nod It's the only thing that makes sense to me if every single one of the teeth is completely brown.

I had a doctor prescribe tetracycline for me while I was pregnant. I was livid, and refused them. Thank heavens I knew enough to do that.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Sometimes brown teeth can be caused from the mother receiving antibiotics during her pregnancy. All 4 of my litter mates have brown teeth from that.

Yup. Our Celeste has brown teeth, but they are in really healthy otherwise. I do know from her breeder that her dam was very sickly when pregnant with 13 puppies . :eek She needed an emergency C-Section and several of the pups were raised by a surrogate. Thankfully, she wasn't bred again.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

My girl's teeth are grey. Her first vet said it was from antibiotics, like tetracycline or similar, when she was a pup while the adult teeth were forming but...

I thought the antibiotics made the teeth a sort of yellowish-brownish color. dunno.gif

A different vet, just this Weds, said she'd never seen grey teeth. That tetra normally stains teeth a yellowish brown. My own teeth have a yellowish tint & my mother always said it is from antibiotics. dunno.gif Who the heck knows?

Guest mhall

I would love to see a picture-- is that possible?? I have seen some pretty narly staining but, it's usually isolated to just a few teeth.

If I see him again, I'll take pictures. Hes being boarded at a vets right now then he'll move into a foster home. At that point I'll see if someone can get pics if I can't.

Do his teeth look like this?

245.jpg

If so, it's probably tetracycline teeth. They do look gross, and we actually had a vet tell us that Tarmac's teeth were dead and all needed to come out :rolleyes: Though they looked nasty, Tarmac had great teeth. He lived to be 9 and never had a dental.

Edited by mhall

• 2 years later...
Guest Suebaboo

i was just surfing the net, researching my greyhound's stained teeth when I came across this forum and had to join to respond to Sambuca. My dog, Country Smile, is Country Trey's younger half-sister (TNT Star Wars x Country Lesson), and she, too, has stained teeth. She has had one dental in our five years with her, but the vet says her teeth are strong - just ugly. Given the stories of other greyhounds' bad teeth that I have heard, I'll take ugly any day. Antibiotics must have been SOP with our dogs' breeder. Everyone gets a kick out of our girl's track name for obvious reasons.

Give Country Trey a hug from us!

Maybe different antibiotics/hormones cause different color staining? My Cash's teeth are all kind of grey colored - the same color as her blue fawn brindle coat! - and was told it was because of antibiotics during her early years.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Lillypad

Just what I love about Greytalk, learn something new all the time. Saw a hound with teeth just as you describe. Thought poorly of the owner, cause I thought they were not taking dental hygiene seriously. Fortunately, I didn't say anything out loud... feel I owe them an apology... egg on my face... LOL