Munchie Had Her Stem Cell Therapy Today....

Guest LittleGreys

Guest LittleGreys

Munchie had her stem cell therapy done today. I don't know whether I am excited about it or sick about it. If you remember from my post when we originally took her for it 5 weeks ago, Dr Radcliffe did xrays and thought she might have a very early osteosarcoma in her shoulder. We re-xrayed today and he feels the bone loss has increased. He said his first thought would be to postpone the stem cell therapy and wait another month or more, but her quality of life is decreasing so much from the erosive arthritis that we felt she will be worse off from that in a month. He said if we are going for quality of life, do the procedure. It will help the arthritis and she will be more comfortable, but if she has osteosarcoma, I just signed her death sentence. But he said "if we go down, we go down swinging". So we decided to fight for her. Without the stem cell, she will have to be euthanized soon because of pain from the arthritis. There is hope that it is not osteo. Time will tell. I left her there and burst into tears before I even made it to my car. Called one of my best friends who assured me at least I am giving her a chance.

Dr R said we will see significant improvement in 72 hours, from the plasma injected into her joints along with the stem cells. He ended up doing more joints than planned, he added her spine and hips and stifles, I think. We had originally planned on shoulders, elbows and carpus. They also did an IV dose. She goes back in 2 weeks. He said that 2 week point will tell us a lot. God I pray this is not osteo. What if I just killed my baby girl??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thoughts for Munchie. You are doing what you feel is best for her, don't question that.

I agree with your friend. You're giving her a chance. Tons of positive thoughts for you and Munchie. :grouphug

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

It's just a hard situation. If you had decided the opposite, you'd be sick at watching her in pain and knowing that death was coming soon.

Sending cyberhugs and hoping for the best!

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Hugs and kisses for Munchie and for you. You are giving her the only chance she has. You both are so brave. White light and prayers for Munchie. You are doing what is best for your girl, do not question your decision. There are many of us that wish we had had that option.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

You're giving her a chance that she didn't have before. Sometimes chances don't pan out. Sometimes they do. I'm hoping for the latter.

Lots of hugs for yourself, and scritchies for your sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Awww... I am SO sorry to read this!!! I must've missed some posts...

We are hope.gif for sweet little Munchie. She got SO lucky when my DH saw her and she wound up going to you!!!

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Guest LittleGreys

We are hope.gif for sweet little Munchie. She got SO lucky when my DH saw her and she wound up going to you!!!

No Pam, we were the lucky ones. Every day with her has been a blessing. I am so thankful Glenn found her that day. It was meant to be. I am also so thankful to everyone who made that GUR possible.

We knew from that day that she was a fighter. I think she will continue to fight.

I don't know what she did today at the vet hospital while I was away, but as he was carrying her out to the car, Dr R said "that is one amazing little girl". :heart He was right, but he doesn't even know how much....

What if I just killed my baby girl??

Even if she has osteosarcoma, and the stem cell therapy makes it worse, I don't think this would be true at all. As you said yourself, "Without the stem cell, she will have to be euthanized soon because of pain from the arthritis." You're making the best decision you can in a difficult situation with no easy answers. Sending good thoughts for a positive outcome for Munchie! :hope

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest LittleGreys

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and support. Munchie had a rough evening yesterday, or at least it was hard on me watching her. It breaks my heart to see her hurting, you all know how that is. She had a good night, and seems much better this morning. She is covered in bruises, which are getting worse, but we figured out last time that she is a big time bruiser. So she looks horrible, but the swelling is all going down. The worst part is that he had to take the fat out of her abdomen, so she basically has a spay incision. Not what she needed on top of everything else, but a necessity. I took the rest of the week off work so I can be with her and she can be here at home in her own bed rather than having to go to work with me. She is loving all you hugs you all have sent to her. And today she gets all the goodies I bought for her at the pet store yesterday while she was having her surgery. She was too sick last night for them, but she should be excited to get them today. She loves stuffies!! Especially fuzzy ones that squeek!

She loves stuffies!! Especially fuzzy ones that squeek!

She hasn't changed! :lol

Guest trevdog

Sending lots of prayers and healing thoughts to little Munchie. Hang in there sweetie, you're a fighter. My gang is sending you some healing vibes too.

Guest dobiegrey

Praying for quick recovery, my Mom's dog had stem cell about 3 months ago and it has made a difference in her little dog for sure!! Good Luck!

Wishing nothing but the best possible outcomes for Munchie.

You did not sign her death warrant...erosive arthritis would if you did not try and give her a chance for some quality of life. If, and this is a big if, it is OS, you didn't sign her death warrant by choosing stem cell therapy...you choose the ease the pain in your beloved little Munchie out of love. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest budsmom

You guys are very brave and doing your best in a horrible situation, that's all Munchie would ask for if she could talk. Hugs to her and best wishes that this helps and she feels better! :grouphug

Guest LittleGreys

I am feeling so much better today about my decision. Munchie is doing much better, watching her in pain yesterday made me feel so guilty. I sent the xrays to my vet (also a close friend), she says she just doesn't see it, as she said 5 weeks ago. Last month she sent the x rays to Dr Hathcock at Auburn University, and he didn't see anything either. She send him the new film today and he says he still doesn't see anything either. I know Dr Radcliffe knows his stuff, so I know it is still a possibility, but knowing Dr Hathcock thinks the films are clear gives me renewed hope.

I had sent her original films to OSU but never heard back from them. I know they are short staffed, does anyone know how long it is taking for a response now?

So happy, I feel like I can breathe now. :)