Sup, Mans?

Guest starbuck

Guest starbuck

I've already asked a few questions and added a few comments here and there, but I'm largely new to both the boards and dog ownership. My husband and I adopted Starbuck (Star Press, originally) in early February after watching the movie 50/50, in which Joseph Gordon-Levitt's cancer-stricken character inadvertently adopts a greyhound named "Skeletor." Truthfully, it was really after doing a lot of reading, research, and speaking with friends who have greyhounds, but Skeletor was definitely the inspiration. We're both pretty low-key individuals and we already had two cats, so we wanted to make sure that we had a relaxed, cat-friendly pup.

Starbuck has definitely been a learning experience (and schedule changer) for both of us, but she's amazingly tolerant and we're figuring a lot of stuff out together. To that end, we just signed up for a beginner obedience course that starts next week, and we're thinking about taking her with us on our annual trip to Florida as well.

Here are a few pictures I've taken with my junky camera phone.

p2hh3l.jpg

Modeling her fancy new bandanna I made.

5VOhll.jpg

Crashing after playing with her duck for 5 minutes.

5ajYMl.jpg

Smiling.

jyvz8l.jpg

Snuggled in.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Greys make great travel companions! Most travel a lot in their careers from farm to training to various tracks to adoption :) welcome!!!

She's beautiful...how awesome to be inspired by the movie. Greyt choice :)

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

What a beauty! wub.gif Congrats! confetti.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest starbuck

Do you know about the Greyhound Event of Michigan May 18-20, not too far from you? You should go!

I just heard about it recently, but I'm not sure we're going to be able to swing it (as our Florida trip is only a week or so after). I'd like to at least try and stop by on one or two days.

What a beautiful girl. It may seem like a lot of extra work now, but soon it will be 2nd nature and you'll wonder how you ever had fun without a dog. What do the cats think of Ms. Starbuck?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest starbuck

What a beautiful girl. It may seem like a lot of extra work now, but soon it will be 2nd nature and you'll wonder how you ever had fun without a dog. What do the cats think of Ms. Starbuck?

The cats were initially a little upset and perplexed, but after a week and a half they stopped puffing themselves up and hissing when she walked into a room. It's also pertinent noting that Starbuck likes to steer clear of the cats, for the most part. I was trying to get her to come downstairs with me the other day, and after being super annoyed that she wasn't coming when called, I walked back up to see that my nine pound cat was sitting in the doorway and Starbuck didn't want to step over her. (She also seems to be pretty nervous around small dogs, too.)

This is Wrex, the best, most-friendly, fun-loving, cuddle-monster cat in the world. He also fetches.

EL7hal.jpg

This is Luci. She's sort of evil, but she's also awesome. She was the bravest when we brought Starbuck home.

atNP9l.jpg

Congratulations!

She's very cute. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest starbuck

Congrats on your new addition! A trip to Florida!! Wow, good for you. I have always loved travelling with my greys!

Yeah, we'll see. We're still very inexperienced. The nice thing is that she loves car rides and my family's place down there has a tiled floor (not great for zooming, but awesome for clean up). I'd definitely appreciate any traveling tips and tricks!