It's Official...

Guest 302Crew

Guest 302Crew

Well, it's official! Our boy comes to his forever home (our home) on Saturday. :colgate

We're very exited, and nervous...but mostly excited. He'll be our first grey.

All that we know is that he's 3 years old (I hear I have my hands full) and he's like a bull in a china shop. He's apparently a very happy boy, who is VERY excitable - so this should be an adventure. :blush

As soon as I can - as soon as he's comfortable enough - I'll snap some pictures of him.

I've been spending months reading and learning about the breed. Now that the time is finally here I feel like I have a million questions... :blush

Guest 302Crew

I do! It's JA's Ballad. He came up with GiNA a couple weekends ago. :colgate

He's on their Facebook page. I've been stalking all the pups since they arrived in Canada. :blush

BALLAD!!!!! I have pictures of Ballad! We brought him up from Buffalo!!! He is so sweet, cute and funny. I fell in love with him!!! He's very strong :lol

Ballad is the red guy

Ballad.jpg

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest 302Crew

LOL!

Blair must have told me 20 times about how strong he was. :lol

I'm going out to look at harnesses today. I can't buy it yet (I need him there for sizing), but I want to get an idea of what's available.

Sooo excited...

He's very happy and his tail never stops wagging. I bet he'll be great with kids.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

LOL!

Blair must have told me 20 times about how strong he was. :lol

I'm going out to look at harnesses today. I can't buy it yet (I need him there for sizing), but I want to get an idea of what's available.

Sooo excited...

IMHO The BEST harness is from 2Hounds/Wiggles Wags Whiskers - Harness most greyhounds will fit into a Large

:confetti

Congrats on joining the cult. (yes, us greyhound owners belong to a cult)

So, when are you going to chip?

to chip: verb. Taken from old Lays potato chip commercial where nobody can have just one. In greyhound language, means to adopt another greyhound or two or three or four or....... :rolleyes:

Guest 302Crew

Can you believe we actually briefly discussed 'chipping' last night? :blink:

We'll let the big fella get settled first and then we'll see. :blush

Oh Chilidog: Thank you for the link for the harness - It looks fantastic!

Congrats!

Keep in mind that while a harness gives you more control and prevents them pulling on their neck and choking with the collar, ultimately they have more power to pull you with because it is better distributed. Training him early not to pull will be key.

I use a harness because I like the control and can better hold Ryder, but he can certainly put more umph into it as we walk.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Isn't it greyt that someone knows your boy. ;)

The WWW harness is awesome. When I used it for Dodge, I connected the harness to the Martingale collar for more control. There is a short extension you can get from them to hook the leash to both.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Can you believe we actually briefly discussed 'chipping' last night? :blink:

We'll let the big fella get settled first and then we'll see. :blush

Oh Chilidog: Thank you for the link for the harness - It looks fantastic!

To be honest, if I could go back in time I would get two at the same time. That way they are both "together" adjusting. Once you have one in the house for a while, they might be a bit "who is this dog...I'm the boss here". Two at the same time is the way to go, I think :)

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

He's a cutie, and sounds like my kind of hound!The big, goofy, male hounds are the best!! Can't wait to see more pics!! :)

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I have one of the harnesses that chillidog recommended....they are great! My JJ is a boisterous bouncy big boy who was just three and just weeks off the track when I got him! He still jumps, leaps and bounds around 18 months later. I use a harness and martingale collar with him with two separate leashes. I use a coupler leash with both for my Dustin who does not tug on me (harness for him is just for safety if he slips the collar). For JJ, I tether one leash (the one to my harness) to my belt buckle (be sure that both you and your jeans are strong enough to withstand a good yank) and hold a portion of it in my hand as well and then hold the other leash on his coller with the same hand and use that for control when necessary. I do that so that I don't always have the collar pulled tight....I can walk him effectively from the harness leash and use the collar leash to control him when he's bouncy.

Also be careful getting him in and out of cars.

Funny, though, I was just thinking this morning of how much his joy for life makes me smile.....

Best wishes!

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest 302Crew

Well, I went out to look at harnesses today, and I've decided (like most of you suggested) to go with the WWW harness.

Between the endorsements from people that use it here, and what I've read on the website, AND what I've seen out shopping. It clearly seems like the way to go.

So, hopefully between the harness and working with him on leash (training - I've been reading the posts under "Training and Behavior") we'll make strides in the right direction.

Now I just have to wait to get him here to get his measurements. I'd feel more comfortable doing that so I get the right size.

Until then, we'll work with what we have.

Thanks to EVERYONE so much for the advice and warm welcome.

:colgate

Guest 302Crew

I haven't met him yet...but a few of the people that have (foster mom, agency people) have told me that he doesn't lead well. :blush

I've had two phone calls about it - just got one tonight. The agency people seem to love him though...I keep hearing about how goofy, and excitable he is...and just happy to be alive and experiencing new things.