I Am A Bad "grey" Mommy.... Or

Guest Hollys2hounds

Guest Hollys2hounds

Help!

I am a bad grey Mommy. I need some help!

My dogs have not had "cookies" in 6 months! I do give them cooked chicken as treats, but they have not had a crunchy treat in a very very long time!

I found a correlation between stomach gurgling / upset stomach, and treats. All three of my dogs (2 greys and one mixed breed), all had constant tummy issues. Gurgling, diaherrea etc. When I stoped giving them "cookies"... stomach issues ceased.

I feel bad, does anyone have any ideas to share.

Everytime I go to Petsmart or the like, I look down the treat aisle, and ponder, "why mess with a good thing?"

So I leave the aisles empty handed.

My boy, Gunner has a very sensitive tummy, and either we deal with bad gas, or worse.

Any advice?

Well, Hill's makes prescription cookies with hydrolyzed protein designed to go with their I/D, Z/D, and D/D diets, so you might try those -- I don't care for the ingredients too much but they are designed to work for IBD-type dogs. Beth liked them fine when she had them after her pancreatitis scare. Otherwise, you might try a cookie made to go with whatever food you feed, or with similar ingredients. I like the Natural Balance limited ingredient treats and they seem to agree with Beth. I'd stay away from random treats at Petsmart -- I've browsed that aisle plenty of times and most of the treats they sell are pretty iffy.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

We bought a cheap food dehydrator and make our own treats. My hounds LOVE dried chicken, but it was so hard to find any that wasn't made in China. We take boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pound them flat and dry them overnight. It's houndie crack.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest Hollys2hounds

The food dehydrator sounds like an excellent idea! Gonna look into this!

I have tried "cookies" from only the better manufacturers. And only the better ingredients.. Mrs. Hubbards Peanut butter ones... etc! but the result has been bad. Even tried baking my own: peanut butter chicken yogurt cookies...

I have never tried the Hill's ones... will check it out.

My advice is to remember that you're responsible for what goes into them, and if what you're doing now is working, messing with it makes no sense.

They're not children. They don't watch TV ads and understand the concept that other dogs might be getting treats and they aren't.

:colgate

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Lexie has a very sensitive tummy and is only allowed certain treats. No, u are not a bad mommy but a good one for doing what's best for them. Can they have cooked sweet potato slices for a treat? Lexie can eat those or Buddy Biscuits the sweet potato flavor agrees wit her tummy.

http://www.cloudstar.com/prodcat/original-buddy-biscuits.asp

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

I have one dog that can't eat most commercial treats, he's sensitive to a lot of things, like molasses (do you know how many treats are made with molasses? about 99% of them :rolleyes:) If you aren't sure what they are sensitive to, the dehydrator is a good idea, you can do sliced sweet potatoes and liver as well as chicken breasts! Little pieces of cheese are usually well received around here too :lol

Edited by Remolacha

Guest Hollys2hounds

I agree with Beth! A few pieces of extra kibble do suffice as a yummy treat!

Just curious what other dog mommies do with furbabies who have ultra sensitive tummies!

I know I am doing the right thing for my guys. The vet says he has never seens greys in as good shape as my guys.

Actually, since they stopped eating "cookies"... Their weights are perfect!

They are both turning 8 this year, and they are active and happy pups!

Thanks for the advice!

Glad this topic was brought up- was going to share my new recipe. I have a dehydrator and I usually just dehydrate chicken strips but, trying something new tonight.

Today I brought skinless boneless chicken breast and yams. I ground each in the food processor and mixed the two thoroughly (50/50%). I formed small bite size patties and popped them in the dehydrator. I'll leave them in their for about 12 hours. I'll let ya know how they turn out!

One of my dogs (not greyhound) has stomach issues and so I give all three those little carrots that come in a bag and I use their venison kibble. No tummy problems, carrots are healthy, and my pups are happy!

Glad this topic was brought up- was going to share my new recipe. I have a dehydrator and I usually just dehydrate chicken strips but, trying something new tonight.

Today I brought skinless boneless chicken breast and yams. I ground each in the food processor and mixed the two thoroughly (50/50%). I formed small bite size patties and popped them in the dehydrator. I'll leave them in their for about 12 hours. I'll let ya know how they turn out!

15 hours later and they came out greyt!! If your dog can tolerate chicken this might be an option for you. My hounds give them a 2 paws up!!

Don't forget there's other kinds of treats too, ear scritchies, tossing a toy...they know they're loved with or without cookies. :)

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I'm no dogfood snob, but I do try to buy the best food in my price range. No corn, etc. A while ago we ran out of dogfood on a weekend, and after exhausting the nearly empty fridge and cupboards (the humans needed a shopping trip too) of dog-edible stuff - canned tuna, canned chicken, leftover roast chicken, leftover hamburger, etc... I broke down and bought a small bag of "junk" food from the grocery store. Our nearest store with real dogfood is almost an hour away. I think it was Beneful, which I normally wouldn't buy. My dog thought she'd gone to HEAVEN! It was like a Big Mac meal for her! LOL! So - I bought real food the next day - and started giving a few pieces of "Big Mac" food as treats. She's a happy camper. She does take "regular" dogfood as treats, but the Big Mac food is the BOMB! :lol I definately believe in dogfood as a "cookie" - and if they like a junk dogfood a lot - that's a REAL cookie - and CHEAP, too!

My advice is to remember that you're responsible for what goes into them, and if what you're doing now is working, messing with it makes no sense.

They're not children. They don't watch TV ads and understand the concept that other dogs might be getting treats and they aren't.

:colgate

:nod :nod :nod

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I use "different" kibble as treats too. Small or local pet food stores (not PetCo or PetSmart) often have all kinds of small sample bags of kibble. Whenever I go to my favorite store I ask for couple samples. They are always very generous with them, I assume they get them from the vendors for free. A small handful tossed on the floor is a good distraction treat for when I am leaving the house.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Hey, I'm pretty sure they would take chicken over cookies any day! I made the bad mistake of thinking I can give raw chicken to my GP the other day, she pooped and puked all over the place for the next 24 hours.....she will never get chicken again. Bet she won't miss it....The Greys have no problem with chicken, so they will continue to get it from time to time.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)