Cantel ? To 12-27-11

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest FordRacingRon

First off, Cantel is a greyhound but not mine. She was however my dogs only and best friend. Cantel went to the bridge yesterday morning at 12 1/2 years old. Cantels mommy and daddy are not members of Greytalk so I doubt they will post anything here,,but she was a special dog to me and my girl so I wanted her to be remembered. Cantel was not sick, she went the way most of us hope our dogs go. She was fine, made a couple of moans, layed down, and passed.

We adopted our girl a little over 6 years ago. At the time I was a very quesitoning guy so although we did have an adoption rep come to the house, I kept calling the lady that at the time was the local GPA president,, Sandy. I bugged her about everything and we eventually became friends. We would occasionally visit her so my dog, Leia, could have some pack time with Sandy's dogs. Back then Sandy only had 2 greys,,Cantel and Reggie (but the house always had a lot of fosters there). Reggie is the alpha male and in charge and when fosters would come into the house he would let them know who is boss. Cantel was his younger sister (Reggie is still with us) and her and Leia had an instant bond between them. When visiting, whatever Cantel did, Leia would do and in the reverse also. They were personality wise almost the same dog except that Cantel was a real love muffin and wanted to be petted a whole lot.

Eventually we became pet sitters for each other. When we would go out of town Leia would stay with Cantel. As times progressed, Cantel would have an occasions to stay here with Leia (Sandy's other dogs went to other sitters). At first I was hesitant to have 2 dogs in the house,,Leia is our first dog ever and our only pet ever. But after the first time here I knew that Cantel was just the perfect sweetheart of a dog and she was welcomed here anytime, so she did spend some time here. Cantel was the queen of the beds and had a gift of always seeking out and taking the best bed in the house. Whe she was here Leia rarely got her best bed. Cantel was good. Sandy once told me Cantel has this trick she pulls at home. If a dog is in the bed she wants, she would go to the front door and bark as if someone was there. All the dogs would rush to the door to see who it was, at which point in time Cantel would run back and steal away her prize bed.

I said my girl lost her only friend. About 5 years ago Leia was attacked by a pitbull. Lot of pain, big hurt mentally and physically. When she finally recovered there was one thing she couldn't get over, Leia no longer liked dogs. Wanted nothing to do with them at all. Greyhounds she would tolerate but if one gets to close to her she will give out the warning growls. Except with Cantel. She became the only dog Leia liked and looked forward to seeing. The absolute only dog in the world Leia liked.

I was lucky enough to have Cantel here over the Thanksgiving holiday. She stayed here with us for 14 days and I am so happy about that now. I was able to do things for her her parents didn't have a lot of time to due because I am retired and they both work. Cantel got a lot of walks,,which she loved,,and car rides. She loved to hang her head out of the window. So once a day I put her in the car , rolled down the window, and drove around at about 10 mph so she could sniff the air. We still have dog snot on the window (1994 Buicks don't get washed as often as new cars!) and now I am not going clean it.

I don't know much more to post. I know Cantel was a great racer. I know she was Sandy's absolute heart dog, and the first grey she ever adopted. I know Sandy is a wreck now. So if you can, please spend a few moments thinking of this wonderful soul, look for her light in the sky, and if you are the type please say a small prayer for Sandy. She is recovering from breast cancer and doesn't need the mental anguish that this is causing her.

Godspeed Cantel. I do love and will miss you

EDIT because I can't spell at all

Edited by FordRacingRon

I'm so sorry Sandy lost Cantel. cry1.gif I haven't talked to Sandy in forever, but if you talk to her, please pass my condolences on to her.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Oh how heartbreaking for everyone involved. My heart goes out to Sandy. I will keep her in my prayers. I will keep good thoughts for Leia, that she find another best friend to keep her company. My condolences to all who knew and loved Cantel.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest FordRacingRon

I'm so sorry Sandy lost Cantel. cry1.gif I haven't talked to Sandy in forever, but if you talk to her, please pass my condolences on to her.

I was a total and complete shock. Cantel's eyes were a bit bad, she had a hitch in her git-along, Sandy said her back bothered her a bit,,but she was pretty healthy for her age. Reggies is the one they expected to go first, he is older and not in the greatest of health . But God needed a super sweet greyhound for some reason and Cantel got the call.

Paula,,I will tell her. Leia is actually going there for 1 night in a couple of weeks,,should be wierd for all involved.

I'm so sorry for your friend's loss, and yours. Cantel sounds like a perfect girl who will be much missed.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My sympathy goes out to all those who loved Cantle, she sounds like such a special girl.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

So sorry for the loss of your friend.

Sounds like she led a happy and long life.

Hopefully Leia will find another hound to bond with.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

OMG. I'm very sorry to hear this news. :cry1 Cantel was one of the first greyhounds I placed when I was doing placements for GPA. She was such a very shy hound, and I was uncertain if she'd be a good "first" hound for Sandy and Brian. She turned out to be perfect, and such a sweetheart. She always gave me kisses when I came over... and I spent a lot of time there when I lived in SoCal. I'll send Sandy a note. She must be heartbroken. :( I'm sure Leia will miss her, too. :brokenheart

Godspeed, precious girlie... go find Wells, and all your other buds at the Bridge. :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Sandy it broke my heart when I got your email. I know your heart is heavy & broken now but hopefully soon the memories of you precious Cantel will help you smile again

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

I am so very sorry for your loss of such a wonderful friend. Prayers for Sandy as she continues her recovery battle and the loss of her best companion. :grouphug

Godspeed Cantel, special girl. :gh_run

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so sorry about Cantel :( :( :( hugs to your dear friend :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest FordRacingRon

I was able to battle my computer and the internet to get this picture uploaded. Her is the lovely angel when she was staying at our home last summer:

48745aec99b8e1fe04220f0467d2e645.JPG