Lehto, Need Quick Advice

Apparently, this afternoon, Lehto ate the tennis ball his agility teacher gave him.

Tonight he has thrown up twice after our walk and a little treat.

Looks like he bit the rubber in tiny little pieces.

Just not sure if I should feed him tonight.

Would be kibble with ground buffalo and beef added.

And what are the signs of blokage that I need to look for. If needed we will be at the vet first thing in the morning.

Sigh, puppies. :(

Edited by galgomum

Personally, I wouldn't feed him tonight. Maybe you can induce vomiting with some hydrogen peroxide. I know he's thrown up twice, but if he hasn't thrown up all of the bits and pieces, might be a good idea to try and get them out of him that way.

I would be concerned given the volume of rubber from a tennis ball. Might be worth the trip to the vet.....I definately would not feed him......

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest KennelMom

unproductive vomiting would be a sign of blockage. If he's puking and stuff is coming up, that's what you want. I wouldn't induce vomiting in case one of the pieces he swallowed is really large...that's a choking hazard. Would I feed him? I dunno...probably. I mean, the stuff is going to come out one end or the other.

Things you want to watch for: abdominal tenderness, bloating, unproductive vomiting and/or pooping, pale gums, vomiting undigested food, lethargy.

Most things dogs eat seem to pass through, fortunately, but it never hurts to have an picture of his insides so you know the size/shape of what you're looking for to come out either end. Not sure I'd go to the evet unless you see some of the symptoms I listed previously. I would probably make a trip to the vet tomorrow for some xrays.

Edited by KennelMom

I don't know if making him throw up would be a good idea, if he didn't chew it all into little pieces a larger piece could get lodged in his esophagus if forced back up. Hopefully some more experienced people will see this and give advice.

Edited to add I see others have posted some good advice. I hope everything will be okay.

Edited by 4My2Greys

Would NOT induce vomiting.

If he isn't *repeatedly* vomiting and hasn't vomited for 2-3 hours, you could feed him a light meal. If that stays down, give it an hour and feed another light meal.

Would also not rush to the evet unless you see continued distress. I would probably head for your regular vet tomorrow. X-ray might or might not be useful. If he's got a very large piece in his stomach, they might want to go in after it. If smaller pieces in stomach or intestines, vets usually hope that they pass on their own.

Fingers crossed for small pieces that make their way out easily!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest dobiegrey

Been through it!! Vomitting and panting and general discomfort. My Jack has eaten many inappropriate things and I can say that most have passed on their own. But we have gone through the "BIPS" route at least 3 times, they X--Ray his belly after giving the "bips" than wait usually overnight (as long as there is no sign of distress) and see if the BIPS are moving into his lower gut. Also when he ate a bone once we were told to give him Mineral Oil but again he was in no distress. I would just watch him reallllll close. Good Luck Petra I feel your stress I have certainly been there!!!

"

We had a foster with a blockage and the symptoms were lethargy and lack of eating. She just didn't want to do anything because she felt so uncomfortable, I guess. Hopefully everything passes without issue!

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

What Kennel Mom and Batmom said.

Are you SURE he ate the whole thing?

That was what I was wondering!!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Ok, first off, I am not the type running to the vet really fast if I can avoid it, in general I think common sense can safe you a lot of stress and money.

So I decided to wait, since he seemed not in too much discomfort after he threw up the last time.

Waited a bit longer and fed him a bit of food and he seems to be doing ok.

I'll stay up for as long as I can.

But yes, I am positive he ate the whole thing. Think he chewed it into very small pieces seen what he vomited up.

As for now, no more vomit, although I am sure not everything came out yet, hope the rest will pass.

But I'll keep a good eye on him and if he seems to be in any discomfort (he is sleeping now), he will be seeing the vet.

Thanks for all the info, I'll let you know how he is doing tomorrow.

Ok, reading back : safe should probably be save?

Edited by galgomum

Correct, "safe" should be "save" in the context you used it. Your English is far better than the majority of us on GT so save yourself some worry & let that go. :D

How is Lehto this morning? Hopefully he was as thorough in his chewing of the entire ball as he was with the bits you saw last night. The possibility that he whittled it down to a manageable size & then swallowed that last chunk is what would concern me most. There is a local service dog organization that will not allow any tennis balls at their facility because multiple dogs managed to sneak the balls into their kennels & eating those resulting in a few blockages. Tennis balls are rather like raw hides. Most dogs are fine with them and even if they chew off a bit & swallow it they pass it no problems. However, when it is a problem it is a BIG problem. So caution is always advisable. We have tennis balls out in our home all the time but I won't leave them in a crated dog any more. Tennis balls & a bored, crated dog seem to be just asking for trouble.

Hope Lehto is better today. Perhaps this was just revenge for removing his jingles? ;)

Just seeing this now. Glad he seems to be doing okay. I would have done the same thing as you. Now I'd just watch for things on the other end. If you don't already, I'd probably do leash walks or yard trips only when I could follow him around so I could inspect his stool. Maybe he vomited it up already, but if not I think you'll feel better if you see evidence that everything passed safely.

Are you keeping the pieces until you can reconstruct a whole tennis ball? :lol;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If he turns out to be a big boy there might also be the risk later on of him swallowing a regular-sized tennis ball (or getting it lodged in his throat or stuck at the very back of his mouth). You can get bigger tennis balls at Petsmart; only issue with those is they are heavy and HARD so not good for a dog who flings toys around unless you're a long ways from any windows. Certainly good for supervised fetch games tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Been keeping an eye on him all day, his poops are speckled with tiny black dots.

He really chewed it into very, very small pieces.

I'll talk it through with the vet, but right now, he is as happy as can be, considering he didn't get to run in the backyard because of the rain.