Beth Needs Good Thoughts

Please send good thoughts for Beth ... this morning she injured the remaining weight-bearing toe on her foot with the amputation. We were on leash on grass and she wasn't doing anything dramatic, just jumping around a little, excited by some dogs behind a fence barking at her! She did a few tripod strides but occasionally does that if something pokes in the gap where her toe is missing -- I pulled out a strand of grass stuck in there and went on without thinking much of it. I did keep a close eye on her gait and she really wasn't lame at all as we walked back to the house. But after breakfast when she was on my bed I noticed the toe is swollen up and there is an odd spot of blood on it, both of these on the outer side of the toe.

My wonderful, awesome vet (who knows me and Beth VERY well) wasn't on call but I called him at home and he met me to see her. He thinks with the blood it may well be a puncture wound (we hope) or else a sprain/partial tear of the toe ligament -- at least no signs that it's a full tear like her original injury, which left the toe flopping around. This toe does seem to stay in place when she walks -- he found a little mobility in it but couldn't really determine that it was more than it would have normally. Beth got a dose of antibiotics and will go in first thing tomorrow for x-rays.

I am kind of a wreck -- I live in fear of her injuring that one remaining middle toe, and now maybe it's happened, and not even doing anything I thought was a risk! But meanwhile :inlove :inlove :inlove toward my vet -- as I was apologizing yet again for calling him at home on a Sunday morning he pretty much said that it was fine and I should call him directly any time Beth has an emergency. He loves her very much!

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Hopefully it was just a puncture wound and she'll be fine. Good thoughts for your sweet girl.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Poor Beth -- I hope it's just a small puncture, too. Glad she's on antibiotics already. LOVE your vet.

We'll keep sweet Beth in our thoughts for a quick recovery. Please keep us posted?

Oh absolutely -- I'll post again as soon as I know more tomorrow.

Has anyone ever seen a dog's toe swell up dramatically within half an hour or so from a puncture? My vet said yes, it could -- might have hit a small bleeder or something.

Edited to add later: the swelling might be a little less now but there is some very dramatic dark bruising on that toe and adjoining areas. That would tend to support the idea of a puncture wound with some internal bleeding, wouldn't it? I don't recall significant color changes when she tore her ligament, even though it swelled on the day after.

Edited by PrairieProf

Best thoughts for the incomparable Beth!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Many good thoughts for Beth!!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Probably just a puncture wound. They can swell up fast sometimes. Try icing the toe to help the swelling go down.

Even if she did injure it more seriously, she'll be fine. There are several dogs around here who have feet with no middle toes!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Probably just a puncture wound. They can swell up fast sometimes. Try icing the toe to help the swelling go down.

Even if she did injure it more seriously, she'll be fine. There are several dogs around here who have feet with no middle toes!

That's good to know about the swelling, which looks pretty gross -- yes, I am icing it per vet's instructions. I keep reminding myself about the visible blood on the toe in a spot where no rubbing is possible -- something hit her foot from the outside.

Can you PM me about the dogs with no middle toes? My vet asked me about that -- not that we are at that point yet! But I'm always thinking "what if..."

P.S. Love your new siggie!

Edited by PrairieProf

More good thoughts for Beth! I hope it's nothing serious.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest zombrie

Hoping it's not going to be an issue, but we had a dog in the kennel with no middle toes. He did just fine. He ran around in the field and kept up with the other dogs with all their toes :P The only time he had a problem was when he walked on the pea gravel, I'm assuming it probably just felt funny.

The toe is still all swollen up, but I took her out for a pee/poop walk (not as short as ideal, because she needs a while to get ready to poop) and still no limp whatsoever, after maybe a little stiffness the first few steps when she came out of her crate. Gotta be a good sign ... we're not going to chop off a toe she doesn't limp on!

Sending good thoughts for Beth.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Energy11

YOUR VET ROCKS!!!

I miss that, I really do! My vet/former employer in Florida was like that.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things, and it does sound like bruising that is causing a lot of the swelling. I'd definintely go with the antibiotics, x-rays, and maybe see what the vet thinks about giving a NSAID like Deramaxx or Rimadyl, which also helps the swelling, and of course, the pain. (*she may already be on this :)

Sending love, hugs and good thoughts your way!

Dee and The Five.

YOUR VET ROCKS!!!

I miss that, I really do! My vet/former employer in Florida was like that.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things, and it does sound like bruising that is causing a lot of the swelling. I'd definintely go with the antibiotics, x-rays, and maybe see what the vet thinks about giving a NSAID like Deramaxx or Rimadyl, which also helps the swelling, and of course, the pain. (*she may already be on this :)

Sending love, hugs and good thoughts your way!

Dee and The Five.

:) The vet didn't mention it and I didn't think to ask while I was there, but I did give her a Deramaxx when I got home -- figured it couldn't hurt and might help. I'll ask tomorrow about continuing.

I also just ordered a box of fancy Belgian truffles for the vet staff (not too big a box, as I'm sapped from all my vet bills between Beth and the cats) -- I realized today that with my immense gratitude and, really, love not only for my vet but for everybody at the hospital, I need to acknowledge them for the holiday.

Sending lots of good thoughts for Beth. My angel Nick had the 2 middle toes of his right hind leg amputated. He'd had a bad track injury that wasn't treated correctly, and the toes were so crippled that, upon retirement, the vet amputated them when he was neutered. We had a few weeks that were tough while things healed, but he did fine for the rest of his life. He sometimes held that foot up, but I think it was more because he was so used to doing that. We didn't walk him any distance on concrete, and he sometimes wore a Therapaw on that foot.

You DO have a wonderful vet. And I'm sure he knows how much you appreciate him. It's awesome that he loves Beth so much!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Well, good news: Beth's toe looks much better this morning, the swelling is down as much as 75%. She still acts fine, no limping (and wanted to jump around as usual when we were crossing some frosty grass!). My vet checked the toe again and thinks it was almost certainly a puncture wound the way it responded so fast with a day of antibiotics and icing -- you can see she's still a little ouchy right in the spot where it went in (where there was blood yesterday and now a little scab). So we agreed to skip the x-rays unless a problem develops. Beth will be on Simplicef for 14 days and Deramaxx the rest of this week, kept on leash this week, and he'll recheck her Thursday.