Avril Was Attacked.

Guest PiagetsMom

I'm so sorry. I walk Mirage every day and this would probably be my worst nightmare. I hope Avril and your DH heal well and sending :grouphug to all of you.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry that this happened to you and Avril! I hope that she heals quickly and the seizures go back to being controlled. Zephyr was attacked by an off leash pitbull once and it was one of the scariest things. Any dog attack is so scary. It happened right in front of our house on Christmas Eve as we left for a walk in our normally safe neighborhood. He was able to slip his collar and run down the road to people that were coming to help, so luckily he only had small wounds. Unfortunately, I think my emotional wound was worse. It was a visiting dog to the neighborhood and normally a nice dog to people and the owners other dogs, but still off leash and just charged us. I carry pepper spray now, a larger can that sprays in a cone. Take care of yourself too, this is such a horrible thing to have happen.

I've thought about you often since Avril got sick with encephalitis. I'm so happy to that she has been doing well. I will be sending lots of love and healing thoughts that she recovers quickly.

Guest jettcricket

How scary and how horrible for you and your girl. I can't even imagine of what that must have been like. Sending gentle healing hugs to both of you.

So glad to hear she is better this morning. Keep healing, sweet pea!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm sorry Avril had to go through this. Magic went through the same thing 5 years ago. It was awful and so scary. We'll be sending healing thoughts to you, DH, and Avril.

Carol and Magic, who've been through this too.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

What an awful experience for you , your DH and Avril. It's good your DH was with you, things could have ended much worse without him there helping to get that dog off Avril. I hope she heals quickly and her seizures remain under control. A hug :grouphug for you and gentle scritches for sweet Avril.

I am so *terribly* sorry this happened to Avril (and to you) :cry1:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug I am sending a ton of good thoughts for speedy healing and hope the seizures were just a result of the shock. Glad to read your girl is a little better :)

I have been there. I know what it's like to see your beloved dog attacked and be scared of walking him/her in the neighborhood again.I just told myself to breathe, be rational and focus on all the times I walked him and he was fine. After Merlin was attacked in 2008, I started carrying a stick AND citronella spray. I had to use the citronella once or twice, from a distance. The spray goes very far, which is great, and acts as a good deterrent to keep approaching dogs at a distance - unless a dog is hell-bent on attacking, as in your situation and ours - in which case, the stick will have to be used. I don't want to to hurt any sentient being unless absolutely necessary, and this is one of those cases I deem to be absolutely necessary. However, I had to drop the stick after we adopted Sagan - I only have two hands and it's too much to have two leashes, poop bags, and in the winter loves to take on and off AND a flashlight... it would be impossible for me to hold a stick as well. The one thing I have changed is that I never walk in the street where the dog who attacked Merlin lives. He is still there, still out of control (he came from a puppy mill and is messed up in the head), and his humans are clueless. They tried to use a shock collar to stop him from freaking out when he sees other dogs - go figure... :headwall So I stay away.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about things happening so fast that you have no idea what's going on before it's too late. Sometimes it happens that way. But on many occasions you do have a little time and using a spray CAN help. As for the stick - it can be a bit of a nuisance, but I can guarantee that it will make you feel safer to know that you're prepared. I will admit that my eyes are EVERYWHERE when I walk the dogs, I am always on the alert for off-leash dogs, but really, it's like that wherever you live - because there are ignorant, irresponsible people everywhere. However, I won't let ANYTHING stop me from walking the dogs, because that's what they want and need.

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest BrianRke

IM so sorry for what you guys are going through. Im glad to hear she is doing well this morning and I hope she continues on the path of a speedy recovery. As with any traumatic experience, you are going to need time do deal with what happened. Its really good that you are looking at this the way you are, being grateful that it wasnt worse.

Sending hugs and good thoughts to you, your DH, and Avril. :grouphug

Guest greymama002

It is my worst nightmare to be attacked by a loose dog. I'm so sorry that Avril suffered this horrible ordeal on top of what she has already gone through. Many thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery .

Just seeing this.......I'm so sorry you've had to go through this. How scary & AWFUL!!

Prayers for your sweet Avril...I hope she is doing well today.

Kudos to your DH for jumping in with no regard for his own safety to protect her. Hope he's feeling better, too.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I am so glad she is doing better. We were harrassed by a loose pit bull late at night. He chased after us and was sort of herding them. I know how scared I was to take them back out and we weren't attacked. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I carry a big flashlight that I would use if I needed to.

Guest SueG201

my dogs were attacked by a boxer last winter, and thankfully I had steel tipped hiking shoes on, and kicked the boxer in the face with my boot many times to get him away. I never walk the dogs alone anymore due to the fear factor . I would call Animal control and have them try to capture this dog.

thank you all so much for continued thoughts for Avril. This girls persistence and attitude is amazing. She is an inspiration. She is doing greyt! She has real bad bruising which is to be expected but all her sutures look good. She hasn't bothered them at all. She is stiff but is getting around! So happy and I feel so darn grateful. This incredible dog has been through so much. She continually teaches me and amazes me at how to live life to the fullest. She doesn't seem to have any fear of being outside which I was a bit concerned about.

No seizures for two days. Wahooo!

She is taking over 20 pills a day currently. Some are because of the incidence. The rest are meds she will likely be on for life due to her problems this summer, encephalitis, seizures etc. But she is real good about taking them. Her appetites not great currently but it's ok.

So yeah. we are good. so good and so thankful. This could have been so much worse. Seriously, this dog is beyond amazing.

I wish I knew how to post pics here. She's a beauty too. a blue fawn and so precious!

Many blessings to all of you who are going through a rough patch with your hound(s). Thanks for keeping my girl in your thoughts!

these smart phones change words. LOL who knows what they will put...precious was precise, adorable becomes affordable. LOL

Pam and Avril.

Edited by Devotion

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Ah, your poor baby girl. Thank goodness she is doing better. I've had her in my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown