Bathroom Problem...

Bella tried to do her #2 about an hour ago, while she was squatting I saw (standing about 40 feet away) that nothing was coming out, then I saw red/pink something. She did a small GSOD, so I was thinking vet asap. She then stood up and walked toward the house with her butt down...bf came home at that moment and she acted fine! Bf suggested we walk her to get her stuff moving, and she did her business but it was pure pudding! Then she went again, and it was almost water like. I'm thinking maybe something is stuck in there, and the pudding poop is going around it? Geez, never thought I'd be posting about something like this! lol

Thoughts?

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

She pooped yesterday evening, all was good. She's had a chicken foot...which is the only thing I can think of that she might not have crunched up properly.

I dunno how to check anal glands...google here I come.

Did you examine the 'pink/red something'? Any idea what it was?

Is she eating? Drinking?

How's her breathing? Heavy rapid breathing can indicate pain.

If she seems 'normal' as far as her eating/drinking/behaviour, I'd just keep an eye on her.

If she is any sort of distress...take her in.

Nancy

editied to say we posted at the same time...

We'll look for an update later....

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest KennelMom

unproductive pooping (or vomiting) are definitely something to watch very closely. Not sure I'd rush her to the vet over one episode unless there were other things going on, like pacing, panting, stretching, not settling down, abdominal tenderness, vomiting, lethargy. But if it continued another day or two, I'd take her in. If she tends to be an eater of stuff she shouldn't, that'd be an extra concern.

Hopefully all is well...will keep an eye out for an update. Depending on the vet, they may freak out over the chicken foot. I love that the vets we see here don't bat much of an eye if they see a belly full of raw chicken on an xray.

Edited by KennelMom

Vet took xrays, no obstruction, but she might have seen an intussaseption...might, she's not sure. She suggested pain meds and to watch her overnight, if she's in pain then rush her back, and they will get a referal to the local univeristy (guelph) for surgery :( She was basically clueless. If Bella is ok overnight, I'm taking her to her regular vet to get another opinion...I took the xrays.

Is this something that might be worth sending to Dr. Couto? I'm so lost.

Vet took xrays, no obstruction, but she might have seen an intussaseption...might, she's not sure. She suggested pain meds and to watch her overnight, if she's in pain then rush her back, and they will get a referal to the local univeristy (guelph) for surgery :( She was basically clueless. If Bella is ok overnight, I'm taking her to her regular vet to get another opinion...I took the xrays.

Is this something that might be worth sending to Dr. Couto? I'm so lost.

Not to make you totally freak out, but sometimes with intussusceptions the colonic mucosa can protrude from the anus... i.e. possibly the red thing you saw. Intussusceptions suck to diagnose because they're really hard to see on rads. An ultrasound would be better. Thing is, Bella really has no reason to get an intussusception (which doesn't mean it can't happen... there doesn't always have to be a reason)... intestinal parasites and parvovirus are the major ones, but anything that results in altered motility of the gut can technically cause it.

Don't freak out. This doesn't mean Bella has an intussusception. Just throwing out random facts because I'm studying for boards and I need to convince myself I know a few things. Plus, they might help you. That's what I tell myself anyway. Give me a call if you decide to take her in... because if she does go to surgery I'm on call for anesthesia. But she won't because there's nothing seriously wrong (at least I'm sending good vibes for nothing to be wrong with Bells).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Thanks Krissy. If it's not that, then what could it be? (dumbass me was so freaked out, that I didn't ask the vet this :rolleyes: )

Could it have been just a one time, err, too hard pushing? Cause she's not showing any other symptoms.

Guest zombrie

A thought just crossed my mind, awhile ago when Doolin was having all his tummy issues, he had some chicken that really didn't sit well with him. While he was going #2 he screamed while he was going. Turns out he was just so inflamed in there it was just so painful. I remember noticing how red his bum was. A couple days of fasting and he was fine. Maybe the chicken foot just didn't sit well with her?? Hoping it's something like that so the cutie can feel better real soon!

Thanks Krissy. If it's not that, then what could it be? (dumbass me was so freaked out, that I didn't ask the vet this :rolleyes: )

Could it have been just a one time, err, too hard pushing? Cause she's not showing any other symptoms.

Yeah, I was going to say that it could have been a rectal prolapse from straining. If she seems her usual self otherwise I would probably not worry TOO much. Just keep an eye on her. If she seems unwell in any other way though, I'd be concerned.

And like Brie suggested, it could also just be inflammation. If all she got out was pudding it's possible that her bowel is just so irritated and inflamed that it was painful and caused her to strain. I know she's had chicken feet before but maybe this one just didn't sit well with her, or maybe she didn't chew it as well as she should have and had some bone fragments that have irritated her.

Hopefully she feels better in the morning. Let me know!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Thanks guys :) I'm hoping it's nothing major, I'm such a baby...that I was in tears after we left the vet :rolleyes: She's resting now, those pain meds are working great, she's sooo sleepy. Even if she is 100% in the morning, I'm going to take her to her regular vet so he can have a look at the xrays.

Glad Bella's home & resting.

We'll check for an update tomorrow.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

We slept in, she didn't move all night...I was up every couple hours checking if she was breathing :blush , she was just zoned out. She's still a little tired right now I'm thinking from the pain meds, no panting at all...gums seem normal color. We are going to our reg vet for an...other opinion at 11am.

Hoping everything is ok and the pain meds don't mask anything. that's what I always worry about.

I'm sure she'll be fine. Hang in there.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Things seem good! She went to the bathroom, a bit soft...but not really runny! I never would have thought I'd be so excited and anxious about poo! :lol In all of the blur, somehow I didn't mention it was chicken feet, rather I must have said just "chicken bones" :rolleyes: So vet thinks it was just a one time "too much pushing". He gave some anti-biotic meds, incase the chicken feet were bad, and I'm boiling some rice right now :) Thanks to all for the good thoughts and advice :grouphug

Greyt news! I hope she is back to feeling 100%.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson