Lilac Rests At The Bridge

Guest houndstooth4

Guest houndstooth4

I fooled myself into thinking that this day would never come. When we adopted a seven and a half year brood mama, I figured we'd give her a few good years of spoiling and retirement so she could boast that she'd lived the good life when she went over to the Bridge. Ha! What a joke on us mere mortals. Last month when we celebrated her sixteenth birthday, I realized that she'd spent more than half her life here with us enjoying retirement. She was sassy and full of life, even while she pushed my buttons as she got older and more....eccentric! She outlived the two Greyhounds we already had at that time who were younger than she was. I have been so incredibly blessed to have her in my life, and she's certainly taught me some important lessons; to be patient with those that you love, to take time to enjoy life every day, to let the ones you care about know it, to speak your mind, and to see the beauty in old age.

Lilac liked to have things a certain way. She came over and burped in my face to let me know dinner had been well-prepared. She barked at me when her bed wasn't in the right spot or her fan wasn't blowing on her. She refused to have help of any kind. She stood stubbornly in your way if she wanted your attention to tell you she loved you. There will never be another like her. It was a sad morning, and when I came home and turned off her fan, I felt like a chapter of my life had closed.

We've shared a lot of her life on our blog, Tales and Tails, http://talesandtails.com, and there is a tribute with more pictures of her there today. Hug your hounds, and remember to enjoy every day of the journey!

6098036189_dda197704c.jpg

The Beauty of Age by houndstooth4, on Flickr

5682429240_3fe6d3fd0d.jpg

Lilac in the Sunshine by houndstooth4, on Flickr

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry for your loss. What a special girl she was and how blessed you were to have her so long. Godspeed Lilac.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

16 years old. G-d bless her. I am so sorry for your loss of beautiful Lilac.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Godspeed, Lilac. You obviously had a very important job to do to have stayed so long. We should all hope to be so blessed. I am so very sorry for your loss.:f_red

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Oh damn. Damn damn damn.

I'm so sorry.

Run with the angels Lilac.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

To a lady who had a life well-lived. I am so sorry. I have also always enjoyed your blog and your tribute there was lovely, too. Rest well, Lilac.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

What a lovely tribute to your beautiful girl. Run free, Lilac! :gh_run

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Carrie, I'm so saddened to hear of Lilac's passing. I've loved reading her stories & seeing her pictures. What a grand, gorgeous ole gal she was!

How lucky she was to be "your girl".

And, how lucky you were to be "her Mom".

Your tribute to her on your blog is wonderful!

Barb, Tick & Mac

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

A life so well lived, and a girl so well loved.

God speed baby girl, we will tuck your family in our prayers as they begin the journey without you

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

She obvioulsy had a wonderful life with you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Lovey_Hounds

16 years old and half of them with you, you were both very blessed. I understand how empty your house seems, i lost my broodie not to long ago and lets admit there is nothing like living with a broodie they are a special kind of hound.

Im sorry for your loss, she is watching you from the bridge and knows how much she was loved :f_pink

Guest RiverCityGang

What a beautiful girl ! 16 years old !! So very special and how wonderful for you and her to have her to such an age ! Enjoy the Bridge, Lovely Lilac!

She was an exceptional girl, wasn't she? I'm so sorry she had to leave you.

Godspeed, Lilac.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm sure your love was a factor in Lilac having such a long and wonderful life. I'm so sorry you had to say good-bye.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson