My Poor Rubyjewels...

Guest FullMetalFrank

Guest FullMetalFrank

I feel awful; like my worst nightmare happening all over again. I went to work today; Gene was home with the dogs. I figured they'd hang out in the living room and watch TV until I got home at noon; but a friend came over and distracted him and he went out to say bye to his friend, only intending to be outside for a minute. It was probably more like ten minutes, I wasn't here so I don't know. He knows we always muzzle if we can't be supervising. But, somebody got snarky with somebody, and again, I can't say for sure who it was although I would put my money on it being Neon, and poor JulieBug now has about a ten inch square flap of skin hanging off her back and a couple of small lacerations on her neck. Gene frantically called my work just as I was about to leave to come home (I got off early, wish it had been earlier) He heard someone screaming from outside and ran in. Jewels had gone up to the top of the stairs and neither of my other two has a scratch on them. So I will never know what happened; there was no food out Or anything like that; and by the look of her skin tear it was more of a tooth catching and tearing rather than a vicious assault. It's superficial; the subcutaneous fat layer is intact and it's a fairly clean tear. Very little bleeding. We got her to the vet before they closed and they finished up their appointments then got her into surgery. This is a different vet than we have used in the past; they are next door to my work and I have met both the doctors there, they are wonderful. I have taken guests from my work over to be looked at and the one vet is very grey-savvy and I like his demeanor. He explained his approach to the surgery and says he will use the cold laser on the wound before he closes it; to stimulate blood flow and inhibit bacteria (?) and then he will take a series of tacks to help hold the skin close to the subcutaeous and help prevent fluid pockets/seromas from forming. Then he will staple the perimeter. No guarantees that the skin will survive, but he feels this approach gives us the best chance of that. The high estimate was around $550.00; which I think was fair. NOT good timing for this to happen. Not good at all; but Gene's wonderful Mom is going to cover it until we can pay her back. That is his saving grace right now. :angry:

So anyways right now she should be about half way thru or better and we are waiting for them to call. We do get to bring her home; Gene just set up her little "hospital" room (X-pen, ortho bed, in the living room where she likes to sleep.) So if you can spare a prayer or two for my little Jewels, please do! Oh, and keep buying those collars! ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no. Big hugs for you and gentle skritches for her when she gets home.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

I hate when things like this happen. It sounds like your vet is taking every step possible for a good healing.

Gentle hugs to JulieBug and prayers for a quick and uneventful healing.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Awww, poor Juliebug. I'm sure she'll be fine. Those things happen Robbie, especially when you have several hounds. I'm sure Gene probably feels awful and has learned a lesson. Hope she heals quickly.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest FullMetalFrank

She is an incredibly brave, sweet girl; and I knwo she will be fine; but it is so hard not to be scared to death for her. She is a young, healthy girl, just 4 and in really great shape. Oh-gotta go, gene's on the phone with her vet right now.

Many well wishes for your baby......

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest FullMetalFrank

OK... They are finishing up and I get to go pick her up in about two hours. I was mistaken; the laser therapy is after the surgery so they're doing that now, it sounds really promising and the doc is anxious to see how well (or if) it helps with this type of wound. She is having one session today and will have another on tues. when they check her healing progress. The laser has some palliative properties, some antimicrobial properties that actually penetrate into the wound, and also should help increase blood flow to the area. So I guess my girl is being a little bit of a research subject; but he is only charging us $25 for today's laser and next week's will be $25 but no charge for the office visit. If it helps even a little that is well worth it. It makes me feel a little better knowing that if her results are really positive, it could help other patients down the road.

He also said she handled the anesthesia very well, good vitals the whole time; to which I replied, "Well; she is an athelete" and he said "yes, she is!" I can't wait to get her home.

Oh Robbie!I remember your first nightmare very well. I can just imagine this has got you in a tizzy. I'm glad to read that things are looking towards a very positive outcome.

What a horrid scare.

Hope she recovers quickly and well!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending lots of be-well thoughts to sweet Ruby!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Guest FullMetalFrank

Oh Robbie!I remember your first nightmare very well. I can just imagine this has got you in a tizzy. I'm glad to read that things are looking towards a very positive outcome.

Yes... I was a wreck there for a minute. But... I had to remind myself, this is NOTHING like what happened before (I had to tell Gene that, too; since although he knows about it, he wasn't around when it happened.) My girl is going to come home. This is more of a "normal" greyhound disagreement occurrence than like what happened between my boys. It was hard; I had to explain the magnitude of Iberia's injuries to Gene and the awful, horrible scene I encountered. My girl will come home; my house is not drenched in blood. Yes; I am distraught. Gene is more distraught. But my girl will come home and bear nothing worse than a scar.

Glad to hear she did well Robbie. Laser therapy on wounds really helps. I wish more vet's would offer it.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Sending healing thoughts to your Ruby....

Nancy, Nixon, Bandit & 'our Ruby'

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg