Poor Traveler Needs Good Thoughts

heartdogs

Yesterday Laura noticed Traveler was looking bloated but he didn't act like bloat was the problem. This morning he wouldn't go out or eat so off to the vets we went. When Joe walked in the exam room his first thought was bloat so he took him back toxray but that's not the problem. His entire abdomen is full of fluid, stomach looked fine, & Joe said he couldn't even really hear the heart when he checked it. Now we aren't to use the C word so just hope it's a heart problem that can bee treated with meds. Traveler is my big white lover boy, my gentle giant, & Noelle's protector so we need him to get well. All the girls here are upset that I came home alone.

BTW all you vet techs don't they teach you that a sick dog should not get vacs until well? It makes me mad that they want to get sick dogs shots, you wouldn't take a sick child to the doctor for shots so what's the difference?

Prayers going up for Traveller. :hope

The techs are motivated by $$$ (like most vets they work for)- not the dogs well being. Glad you knew better than listen to them. Too many people give them way too much credence and the dog winds up paying the price. It is disgusting, sad really. JMO.

This tech is NOT motivated by $$$!!!!! Actually I take extreme offense to that comment. Don't know how it happens in your world but, FYI techs really do care about the patients they care for-- believe me we are NOT in it for the money- it is one career that is grossly underpaid!--nor do we receive commision.

Sorry for highjacking this thread- just hit a nerve.

As far as the op's hound I would suggest bloodwork and an ultrasound asap. Wishing for a good outcome.

Edited to add that I do not beleive in over vaccinating pets--actually neither do the vets I work for--and they would never, ever vaccinate an unwell pet.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest LittleGreys

Lots of good thoughts for Traveler. Sorry you had a problem with your vet tech, but we are not all the same. We don't vaccinate sick dogs at our clinic, actually our doctors decide on all vaccines, not up to the tech. And I am not money motivated, I have not had a raise for over 3 years, no matter how much a client's bill is, I get paid the same.

:hope

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

:goodluck

I hope the problem can be found and fixed quickly, and that Traveler is soon well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Sending good thoughts to Traveler. Hopefully it turns out to be something that can be treated with meds. :hope

BTW all you vet techs don't they teach you that a sick dog should not get vacs until well?

Not sure what prompted this question, but the receptionists at my clinic are trained to be thorough. For every pet that comes into the office, regardless of the reason for the visit, they check to see if the pet is up to date on vaccinations, on HW preventative, due for any routine bloodwork, etc. If a pet being seen for a problem is noted to be overdue on vaccinations, the receptionist will inform the owner of this. And if the presenting problem seems to be minor, they will ask if the owner would like to do the vaccines if the vet feels it's ok. The majority of time, I don't.

The techs are motivated by $$$ (like most vets they work for)- not the dogs well being.

As a vet, I find this whole response quite insulting. I have never known any vet techs to be paid on commission or production, so $$$ has nothing to do with their recommendations. Vet techs tend to have rather low salaries relative to the amount of expertise and education they are expected to have. In fact, it's a field with very a high turnover rate because even those who love their job often can't make enough to earn a comfortable living staying in the field.

Even vets' salaries are very low compared to just about any medical profession in the human field. Believe me, most vets choose to be in the field because they care about animals. If it was about money, there are a number of careers in the human medical field (and other jobs that require fewer years of schooling) that pay a lot better and require a similar (or less) investment in time and education. However, any business owner, including vets, need to keep an eye on the bottom line if they are going to stay in business and be able to keep providing their services.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

sending many, many prayers!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest BrianRke

Sending good thoughts for you and Traveler.

Also want to add... Im sure there are a handful of vets out there that try to milk people out of money but personally I dont know of any. My vet does everything he can do to keep costs down because he knows I have 3 hounds. They do price match on all the meds and he rarely charges me for an office visit.

The other vet I use for accupuncture, Dr. Anna Simms, drives a 1992 Honda Accord, and does home visits. She recently came out to euthanize my parents 14yo Springer. She drove an hour to their house to do it. All she asked for was a donation be made to the Floyd Co. Humane Society. This angel is definitely not in it for the money.

continuing to send prayers :hope hoping he'll do better once he's back home :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

It doesn't look too good-he hasn't eaten since Friday, sill has fluid in his abdomen, has comgestive heart problems & fluid in his lungs. He is home but seems stressed still & not pleased with me, maybe tomorrow will be better. Everyone at the vets said how sweet he is, I knew that, & what a good boy he was for them. I'm letting him just rest now, still won't eat but we'll see if things are better tomorrow.