Using A Coupler To Walk Two Dogs

Guest iLoveLucie

Guest iLoveLucie

Does anyone use a coupler to walk two dogs?

With the recent adoption of our second hound, I got a coupler thinking it would make it easier to walk the two dogs on my own and not get tangled up in the two individual leashes. It worked great when both dogs were moving in the same direction, and helped keep our new guy moving forward since sometimes he freezes up when he sees other dogs. But I had a few close calls when the male went to lift his leg and our female was in between him and a tree. It also doesn't give any room for the dogs to wander and sniff - which seems to prevent our girl from going at all.

Not sure if they will get used to a coupler and figure out how to do their business appropriately?

You might need a longer coupler. What length are you using now?

Also, most boys are either left-legged or right-legged when they "go" so you might be able to switch sides with them. Just make sure you walk past a tree on the correct side! ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Liz_in_PA

I use one as I got tired of playing chinese jump rope with them. Dash has peed on Bonnie's head once or twice. I've gotten faster at moving her. As a benefit, she was always dawdling and he was pulling ahead. That has dimished.

Also, I have a fear of Dash getting freedom. With the two of them attached, there's no way that they will cover that much ground.

So in short, it gets easier. And they don't seem to mind too much.

I considered a coupler, and then quickly un-considered it. I find the flexibility of holding 2 leashes and allowing the dogs 6 feet of freedom to be an advantage not to be messed with. I never have a problem with tangled leashes or anything like that. I'd rather the hounds not be tied at the hip when out and about - where is the 'fun' in that? JMHO.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I considered a coupler, and then quickly un-considered it. I find the flexibility of holding 2 leashes and allowing the dogs 6 feet of freedom to be an advantage not to be messed with. I never have a problem with tangled leashes or anything like that. I'd rather the hounds not be tied at the hip when out and about - where is the 'fun' in that? JMHO.

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

i rarely use mine and will sell it really cheap if you are interested. i use it in sitations where the dogs need to be close and not milling around, ie- meet and greets but we are now only allowed one dog per handler. it's not a big bulky coupler, 1/2" braided flat black nylon each strap is 12" long. it has brass clasps- that are not gigunda so they don't slap the dog in the head. i personally like a thinner leash for my pups. but after soooo many years of walking 2 dogs, i feel naked holding one leash. i use it w/ a 4 ft or 2 ft leash. the 2 foot red and black braided leather leash is also for sale if you are interested. pm me privately.

Edited by cleptogrey

I used to use a standard coupler. It was good in theory, but the dogs hated being so close to each other. And since they walk at different paces, it meant they were constantly being pulled by each other.

If you can get one custom made to a longer lengths (i've seen custom rope/leather ones for sale) it might be worth it. Or I could just mail you mine! rolleyes.giflol.gif

Guest sheila

I've used a 24" coupler to walk two male dogs that both walk politely at heel on a leash. They even could manage to pee/mark without soiling each other if I stopped and let them jockey their positions a little. I stopped using the coupler though when I had the frightening experience of an off leash pittie rushing us. The pittie was circling us and lunging, I had one hound wanting to fight back, one hound wanting to run, with 100 lb me trying to hold them both back while simultaneously trying to use my feet to kick the pittie away from us. If that pittie had managed to make contact with my two leashed together........I don't even want to think about it.

I might use a coupler again in a controlled environment such as a GH event, but never for walks in my hood.

Guest dobiegrey

I use two climbing belts attached to me, with two 6' heavy leads attached to them, than harnesses on the dogs (you gotta remember one of my dogs in a bit of a physco doberman) than I have collars on both of them, a gentle leader on the dobe and a martingale on my Betty with nice flexi leashes on those, I know I know, sounds crazy and trust me people look at me on my walks but I always tell them I am actually training for the Iditarod!!! Starts conversations to say the least. But I feel real secure having them undercontrol like this, plus having them around my waist lets me use my whole body to hold Jack should he get crazy when a "god forbid" a bike goes by!!! It also can allow my hands free to do pick up of poop etc. I am so use to it that when we do meet and greets I take Betty with the harness attached to the walking/climbing belt and it gives us both lots of freedom. I think if I had two greys as good as Betty I would use the walking belts attached to their harnesses hands free. We rarely get tangled, it is usely Jack that gets himself tangled up in his own lead! Betty just stands and looks at him like he is crazy! Anyway that is how I walk two, I use to walk two Dobies on a coupler but they broke it is very short order and scared me to death!!! I get this all on them in less than a minute or two max and off we go!

Edited by dobiegrey

Guest sophiesmum

I had the same experience. It worked great at first with them both in the same direction, but once they got to a tree and started sniffing around then we would get into some tangles if one dog went around the other. I found that I was spending a lot of time trying to move them back into position and it became a hassle.

My guys exhibit displaced aggression on occasion, turning to snark at each other when they're pissed that they can't reach the enemy dog they see in the distance. When that happens, I need to be able to get them away from each other--quickly.

I use 4' leather leashes on my two. The leashes are short enough that the dogs rarely get tangled in their own leashes, let alone each other's; but I can have one leash in my left hand, one in my right, and stretch my arms out and keep the dogs apart.

Another problem with a coupler: Sam pees faster than Jacey. He starts sooner when we get out there (Jacey dithers, trying to find the right pine needle to pee on), and she doesn't finish quickly once she does start. Sam was trying to drag her down the road while she was squatting. Good for a laugh, as she tried to dig in her toenails and hang on, but not actually fun for the poor girl.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I walk four hounds with separate leashes and don't usually have any problems. They either walk behind or next to me without much shifting around.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

I have a coupler that can adjust so that the dogs are either closer together or farther apart, depending on how I want them to walk. I alternate between using the coupler or using two 4ft or 5ft leashes, it depends on my mood, and how the dogs are walking. I find that I will use the coupler when Rio is being really really stubborn and wanting her own way...putting her on a coupler and shortening it up with one of the boys walking with her will usually straighten her out as she is forced to walk the way they do (they are very well behaved, and I can control her far better). She does tend to get peed on a bit, but with the coupler being easily adjustable, I can lengthen it before we get to the pee-spot so she can move out of range quickly before she becomes a target :lol . A few walks on the coupler, and she is back in line and I can go back to the two leashes again. I also find the coupler useful if I have to walk all four dogs by myself, which is frankly rarely due to a torn rotator cuff in one arm that limits my functioning and sttrength in that arm. But sometimes it is unavoidable. Because I do it so rarely, I have not mastered walking with 4 leashes and get myself impossibly tangled in the leashes when trying to pick up poop if someone (Rio) decides she HAS to go...it is quite comical :rolleyes::blush at least with the coupler I have a bit of a chance of becoming less tangled. :lol

Rio aka El Rio (Dec. 4/07) - Home May 16, 2010
Tiana aka CTW Tyra Time (June 7/07 to December 9, 2016) - home July 1, 2010, we miss you terribly, Sweet Girl :weep

Willy aka Starz Predator (Oct. 15/06) - home Aug. 29, 2010
and littermates Merlin aka CTW Excalibur & Mirage aka CTW Mirage (Jan. 1/08) - home Dec. 5, 2010
& June 3, 2012
missing Beagle-Chihuahua, Kasie Lynn (March 15/95-Sept. 13/10)

I don't like them for normal walks but I recently used one for my 2 on a hound hike and it was great.i also used 2 when I was walking 5 hounds so I only had to hold 3 leashes. Mainly I like them for walks that aren't about pottying.

I fixed my leashes by adding a rubber ring so that the dogs can have the whole leash or I can slide the ring down the leashes and they are coupled closer together. Works greyt for my girl who likes to lag and/or stop as the other dog does the pulling to keep her going.

june

I tried one with the girls...it didn't work at all for them. It's in a drawer around here somewhere.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I think it depends on the reason you are walking, as well as "how" you walk your hounds.

1) are you walking for the dogs to get out of the house and sniff things (have a fenced yard for their regular business), or are you walking because you have to walk?

If you are walking your hounds to just sniff around and be out in the great outdoors, I wouldnt use the coupler (I do have two couplers and use them for walking 4 hounds).

If you are walking your hounds because you dont have a fenced yard and they have to go, then use the coupler and walk your dogs, not the other way around (dog determining where you are going).

I dont know the brand name of my couplers, but basically it is a 3' leash with a ring, then two 3' leashes attach to that ring. I have two of these leashes. I have a fenced yard, so when I do take them for walks, its at a leisurly pace and I allow them to determine generally where we are going. When we go out to events, or on vacation, the couplers go on and I determine when/where we walk, its safer that way.

I've used a 24" coupler to walk two male dogs that both walk politely at heel on a leash. They even could manage to pee/mark without soiling each other if I stopped and let them jockey their positions a little. I stopped using the coupler though when I had the frightening experience of an off leash pittie rushing us. The pittie was circling us and lunging, I had one hound wanting to fight back, one hound wanting to run, with 100 lb me trying to hold them both back while simultaneously trying to use my feet to kick the pittie away from us. If that pittie had managed to make contact with my two leashed together........I don't even want to think about it.

I might use a coupler again in a controlled environment such as a GH event, but never for walks in my hood.

I used to use them, but now find it easier to walk with separate leashes and for the reason Sheila mentioned, would not use one in the future even if I didn't. It just doesn't allow enough control for me in an emergency situation.

If you do want to use one, I found it worked better to get one that was adjustable and to give the dog on the "outside" (farthest from you" a longer portion than the closer dog. That seemed to work better overall.

But I find it easiest to loop both leashes over the same hand, grab them a little ways down, and then raise my hand up to about shoulder height. The leashes never get tangled that way and my arm doesn't get tired. When I want to really walk instead of just sniffing, I'm shorten up even more and drop my hand back down to my waist and off we go.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest katethegreyt

I'm one of the no coupler crowd too. I could see them being useful for certain training situations, but for everyday walking, they make me feel like I don't have enough control.

I prefer two leashes (4' is a good length for me). I have both looped over my right wrist, the slack taken up with my right hand, and the dogs heeling to the left. I keep the leashes separated in my left hand by poking a finger or two in between them (it's kinda like what I do when I ride a horse with two reins). Similarly, with my right hand, I usually keep a finger between them so I can take up slack or loosen an individual leash if needed without messing with the other one. I just don't like not being able to feel each individual dog.

I LOVE my couplers! Our walks are for exercise, not sniffing so that probably makes it more practical. I have an adjustable coupler that allows up to 2+ feet per dog but I seldom adjust it past about 6 inches for each. I have walked males and yes, you do have to strategically maneuver to avoid anyone getting peed on. But again, we usually are not walking to find a place to pee. Shopping at Home Depot is so much better when I have a coupler instead of trying to handle leashes. We were there today with 4 hounds and two leashes.

I sometimes have fosters and I like to put them on a coupler with a seasoned dog as it seems to help them to pick up the cues quicker.

If I had to give up my couplers I would be very unhappy lol.gif

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart