Osteo Thread

I would imagine it's hard to give "advice" without seeing the dog and getting a full history, etc. Their initial consult is largely focused on the diagnosis based on x-rays, which is all they really have to go on. And even then, most vets are hesitant to say what's "right" with something like osteo, because in all cases, it's a terminal disease with no real "good" outcome. So it's hard. :(

Dr. Marin was very helpful with my follow on questions about amicar, post-op stuff, etc. Don't hesitate to ask her something if you do have something else that you need answered. Worst case, she says she can't help with it.

I did include in the consult form that what drugs our vet had put Faye Oops on. I was hoping for confirmation from OSU that they were the best drugs/dosages for our situation. I guess I will follow-up with another e-mail. I've just been hesitant because I didn't want to be a nuisance.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine it's hard to give "advice" without seeing the dog and getting a full history, etc. Their initial consult is largely focused on the diagnosis based on x-rays, which is all they really have to go on. And even then, most vets are hesitant to say what's "right" with something like osteo, because in all cases, it's a terminal disease with no real "good" outcome. So it's hard. :(

Dr. Marin was very helpful with my follow on questions about amicar, post-op stuff, etc. Don't hesitate to ask her something if you do have something else that you need answered. Worst case, she says she can't help with it.

I did include in the consult form that what drugs our vet had put Faye Oops on. I was hoping for confirmation from OSU that they were the best drugs/dosages for our situation. I guess I will follow-up with another e-mail. I've just been hesitant because I didn't want to be a nuisance.

I wouldn't hesitate to ask. Dr. Couto was always great about responding, although sometimes he would be very brief in his responses. It's understandable given how many free consults they do. He did get on the phone with me after the initial diagnosis though. That was before the new consult system.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

In that case, I would definitely go ahead and ask!

I was also worried about being a nuisance, so I went ahead and became a paying member. Made me at least feel better about my incessant questions!

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Jen, I'm not off work next week, I'm off the following week. So I'd probably schedule her surgery for NEXT Wednesday and hope to pick her up Friday evening or Saturday morning and then I'll be home the 7th-11th.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I agree about the day after surgery. We purposely waited two days to see Charlie and it killed us waiting. When we did go, he dragged the vet down the hallway. He was so drugged up he wasn't himself and wouldn't really acknowledge us at first. Overall though his wound did not look too bad, ugly, but not too bad considering.

The patch can make them anxious.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm not sure if OSU has an exact "protocol" for non-amp cancer patients. Each dog and situation is so different that I would bet they will only have genral things to say. But DON'T hesitate to ask any questions. If they do have info, they are most happy to share it. If they don't, they will tell you.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Jen, I'm not off work next week, I'm off the following week. So I'd probably schedule her surgery for NEXT Wednesday and hope to pick her up Friday evening or Saturday morning and then I'll be home the 7th-11th.

Ah,that makes more sense, sorry.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It's a tough situation because I really don't have any time accrued yet that I can take off for something like this. I am pretty sure I could probably get away with quite a bit, but, I don't want to push it because I LOVE this job and don't want to take advantage, you know? It's a super stroke of luck that I have been scheduled for this at home virtual classroom training for quite a while now. I can set my office up for her so I can keep her close by. I'll pretty much be sitting at the computer listening to stuff all day, so I'll know when she needs something.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Just to clarify about palliative care for Faye Oops from a previous post. FedX is receiving pamidronate but NOT radiation. he did have one dose of radiation but his pain got worse so we didn't pursue any more.

I never asked OSU about palliative recommendations. I work closely with my vets (we got to both in the office for their respective specialties) and use a combination of gabapentin, and novox (generic similar to rimadyl) regularly with tramadol as needed (longer walks or rainy days).

Just to clarify about palliative care for Faye Oops from a previous post. FedX is receiving pamidronate but NOT radiation. he did have one dose of radiation but his pain got worse so we didn't pursue any more.

I never asked OSU about palliative recommendations. I work closely with my vets (we got to both in the office for their respective specialties) and use a combination of gabapentin, and novox (generic similar to rimadyl) regularly with tramadol as needed (longer walks or rainy days).

Thanks. Although our vet has experience with greyhounds, this is our (DH and mine) first time dealing with osteo which is why I was hoping to get some confirmation from OSU that what we are doing for Faye Oops is OK. Our vet currently has Faye Oops on 100 mg of Tramadol 2x/day and 10mg Piroxicam 1x/day. We have an appointment for Faye Oops on Monday for bloodwork (vet wanted to make sure the meds aren't causing any kidney or other issues). I'm planning to bring up some of the treatment plans brought up here for further discussion with her.

Faye Oops has been doing really well. She hasn't had any negative reactions to either the Tramadol or the Piroxicam. Her limping is barely noticable. She is going up/down stairs and on furniture for her snuggles. I hope it continues, but I just keep waiting for the ball to drop on us.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I'm not sure if OSU has an exact "protocol" for non-amp cancer patients. Each dog and situation is so different that I would bet they will only have genral things to say. But DON'T hesitate to ask any questions. If they do have info, they are most happy to share it. If they don't, they will tell you.

This is what I have observed. Their in-canine patients get a very thorough work-up. Based on this, they recommend either amputation, radiation, pamidronate, etc. Recommend might be too strong of a word. They present the options and the associated statistics, risks and benefits. I doubt they would be able to give any treatment plans without seeing your hound. However, they should be able to answer specific questions.

I do know that they tend to use a combo of tramadol, deramaxx and gabapentin (with 15 to 20 mg of famotidine given 1/2 hour before meals) for palliative pain management. Of course, this depends on the dog's pain level -- but these are the drugs they tend to try first.

Jane

Thankfully the Deramaxx is doing it's job...Pinky is not limping today at all. Should hear something on the FNA tomorrow.

but I just keep waiting for the ball to drop on us.

We all know that feeling all too well, hang in there. :bighug

:nod I know it's easier said than done, but try not to let those thoughts take over. It could be months or longer before things start to progress quickly and if you spend all of that time worrying...(says the girl who spent all of that time worrying ;))

Dr. Less called this afternoon - FNA confirmed a sarcoma. She is scheduled for surgery Monday November 7th. He would have done it next week, but, he has to be out of town later in the week. He didn't want to do her surgery and then take off and be unreachable. I thanked him for that. She will likely spend the night at the ER because they don't have overnight staff in their clinic. I think I'd much rather she be looked after all night, even though she'll have surgery Monday morning and then be transported to the ER that night for overnight observation.

We spoke about Amicar and he sent a script to my pharmacy for me to pick up. We discussed post surgical pain meds and I think we're going to go with the patch...at least for a couple of days. I talked to him about deramaxx and gabapentin, we'll probably use that once she is home and I know she is eating (and thus will take the meds without me having to stress her by pilling her).

I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster that is slowly being pulled to the top of the big hill....

It's a small donation to the auction, but made with you all in mind.

http://www.2houndsdesign.com/cgi-bin/2hounds.pl?category=GBA&item=1320595065

Judy

Thank you. :thumbs-up

Dr. Less called this afternoon - FNA confirmed a sarcoma. She is scheduled for surgery Monday November 7th. He would have done it next week, but, he has to be out of town later in the week. He didn't want to do her surgery and then take off and be unreachable. I thanked him for that. She will likely spend the night at the ER because they don't have overnight staff in their clinic. I think I'd much rather she be looked after all night, even though she'll have surgery Monday morning and then be transported to the ER that night for overnight observation.

We spoke about Amicar and he sent a script to my pharmacy for me to pick up. We discussed post surgical pain meds and I think we're going to go with the patch...at least for a couple of days. I talked to him about deramaxx and gabapentin, we'll probably use that once she is home and I know she is eating (and thus will take the meds without me having to stress her by pilling her).

I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster that is slowly being pulled to the top of the big hill....

I'm sorry. :(

You will definitely want her to be somewhere supervised the night of surgery.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

IMO, 24/7 medical supervision post-surgery is an absolute must.

Thank you Judy!!!!!!! The auction is raising over $10,000 for OSU so far!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Berk's red cell count went from 150k last week to 78k this week so no chemo today. :( We'll try again next week.

Doh! Hope it's better next week :goodluck

Aside from that setback, how's he doing?

How many rear leg amps vs front leg amps do we have here? I know Charlie was a rear, and that Twiggy and Berk were fronts...

Aside from that, he's doing great! He's even jumped on the couch a few times this week, after I said that he hadn't post surgery. :)

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding tripods and snow/ice? The concepts of "go slow" and "take it easy" are not ones Berkeley believes in. We had a dusting here and the porch was slippery and he lost his footing a bit but was able to recover... I'm envisioning have to leash walk when things are slick, I think.

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Doh! Hope it's better next week :goodluck

Aside from that setback, how's he doing?

How many rear leg amps vs front leg amps do we have here? I know Charlie was a rear, and that Twiggy and Berk were fronts...

Sara is a back amp. Not osteo but another form of cancer.

Aside from that, he's doing great! He's even jumped on the couch a few times this week, after I said that he hadn't post surgery. :)

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding tripods and snow/ice? The concepts of "go slow" and "take it easy" are not ones Berkeley believes in. We had a dusting here and the porch was slippery and he lost his footing a bit but was able to recover... I'm envisioning have to leash walk when things are slick, I think.

Oh no! I didn't even think of this!!!! Sara had her amp in March and by the time she got home, we were done with the snow for the season. UGH!

I posted a thread on ice and snow solutions a while back. I am going to try to link to it but I've never done this before. Here goes:

My link

I am going to try the residential heated mats mentioned in this link. I will post when I get them and have an opportunity to see them in action.

Jane

I posted a thread on ice and snow solutions a while back. I am going to try to link to it but I've never done this before. Here goes:

My link

I am going to try the residential heated mats mentioned in this link. I will post when I get them and have an opportunity to see them in action.

Jane

Thank you! I just sent the link for the heated mats to my husband. That may do the trick. Let us know if you like them!

We have a ramp out to the yard and when it gets icy, oy. :rolleyes:

Berk's red cell count went from 150k last week to 78k this week so no chemo today. :( We'll try again next week.

That stinks, but at least he's in good company. Twiggy was supposed to have chemo today too, but the machine said neutrophils were 1,800 and the manual count was 2,100. Onco said she was borderline and didn't want to do it today. We'll be trying again next week too.

That's Twiggy, too (minus the couch part - if there was a dog on my sofa, I'd have to ask who it was and who took Twiggy!). I have some nice neoprene/fleece boots for her, but getting them on her should be interesting.

My link

Jane

Those look great, but I'd have to buy a ton of them. I have about 30 yards of common area sidewalks to cover just to get to the city sidewalk. Although I'm sure my association would love for me to keep everyone's sidewalks clear all winter! :)

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties