Leashing Your Grey

Guest maidmarcia

Guest maidmarcia

I was just curious as to whether everyone here keeps their grey leashed 100% of the time when they are outside (beyond a fenced in area).

I met another grey owner who told me she treated her greyhound like any other dog. She took it hiking without leashing it and never had a bad incident with him.

Has anyone else found that their grey does ok off the leash, or does everyone follow the strict leash rule?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I signed a contract that I would never have my pups unleashed unless in a fenced area.

Same here. Mine are leashed...I have had the snap come loose a couple of times when Pop shook and the snap has never done that since. Pop didn't even realize the snap had come undone...mine are either on a leash or in a fenced in area.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest maidmarcia

I signed a contract that I would never have my pups unleashed unless in a fenced area.

really? wow, I've never heard of that.

I was just wondering what other people do with their greys. Licorice is very good at coming when he's called and will even stop mid-run to return to me (while at the dog park) so I've thought of letting him run on back trails...

Just curious about other's input.

I always leash mine, unless fenced in. I signed the same thing upon adoption, never to let Tracker off leash, unless in a safe area. But friends of ours let their greyhound off leash in certain areas (familiar to their dog, far away from any traffic, practically no wildlife distraction), and have done so for years w/o problems. From what I understand, they're MUCH more relaxed around this issue in Europe, seemingly w/o particular problems. Don't know how that works over there.

Thing I don't get is: this breed was used to hunt way back when, and must have been off leash to do that. How did they ever manage to get their dogs back? Sorry, don't mean to highjack this thread. And I am NOT questioning keeping greyhounds on leash, just wondering.

I wouldn't no matter if I signed a contract or not, my hounds don't have good recall. And I'd be very nervous and wouldn't enjoy a walk with them loose. But my poodle was good with recall and highly obedience trained and I never let him off leash either! I have met people who let their greyhounds off lead very successfully, I have no idea if they signed a contract or not.

Same.

I would never risk my dogs' lives by allowing them to be unleashed in an unfenced area.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

A good read pinned in our GT Amber Alert forum: How Not To Become A Member of the Runaways Club by Marcia Herman.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest 4dogscrazy

I am way tooooo lazy to spend a week walking all over gods green earth trying to find them! And I've used all my vacation days this year!

Seriously I only know of one person who does it, makes me nervous when they're around!

Guest maidmarcia

Licorice has great recall... It could be better and I would never walk him off leash through the busy/traffic congested parts of the city, but I think with training and in a quieter area with less distractions, it's very possible.

I guess re: hounds being hunting dogs way back when, there was less traffic/cars. That would appear to be the biggest hazard for them nowadays... dashing across the street while chasing a cat.

However, it's not limited to greys. I had a husky for years and I could never let her off leash because she had poor recall and was constantly chasing other animals. Only when she was 11 (old and tired) was I able to walk with her outside off leash.

Licorice is far better than she was with regards to recall.

maidmarcia, I suggest you bow out of this thread right now. Asking about letting your greyhound off of a leash is the best way to get eaten alive here. I'm not kidding! having said that, please don't let your dog off the leash unless he's in a completely enclosed area. if something in the distance catches his eye, something that you can't even see, he's gone and nothing you can do will stop him.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Always, always on a leash. My dogs have good recall until they see a squirrel, cat, bunny, etc... then I cease to exist and they hear nothing I say.

Raven got loose a couple of times in her younger days. She popped out of her martingale collar once and out of her harness the second time. There is no more sickening feeling than chasing your loose dog as she weaves through traffic down a busy street or disappears into a national forest. Now she wears a slip collar for walks since it's the only thing she can't wriggle out of.

I also signed contracts with leash clauses for each hound. Even if I hadn't they'd still be leashed. IMO it's not worth the risk of losing them.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Leash. My dogs are pretty good at coming when called, with a low prey drive. Every once in a while a cat or squirrel or plastic bag catches their eye and they bolt. When they hit the end of the lead they are back but for that split second they are gone. They are not even chasing what triggered them. They are just running. Leash.

I am a DH. Spencer and Shane are my dawgs. Mosby is The Cat. Greyhead is our wife (pronounced woof).

Guest UpperHandAndy

I'm actually glad this was posted - I was thinking about asking a question about this earlier today. Andy is leashed 100% of the time, unless in our backyard or for the first time today, in a baseball diamond (and he had no idea what to do lol)....I also signed a leash clause in my contract. I unhook his leash IN the car, and he doesn't step out of the car without it on. Andy has snuck out the door, once by me, and once after my BIL left the door open :angry: and he was "fairly" easy to get back. BUT, I panicked. I was terrified of losing him. SO, that being said, yes, I leash all the time.

My original question was to be something similar - I've seen video and pictures (not so much on here but on you-tube, other grey sites, etc) with dogs froliking in the ocean, around fields, rivers, etc and even one romping around in the snow in their front yard next to the street :eek . I was puzzled because I have always been told it's a big no-no to have one off lead. So, aside from fenced areas, are beaches or watery area supposed to be more secure? You'd sure think so with all the video out there.

It's quite common with Greyhounds & honestly I think it should be with other breeds. The only difference I see between Greys & other non-sighthound breeds is the speed at which they can depart.

My dogs are only unleashed in a fenced are or in performance sports areas.

ETA: Breed matters not. This applies to all my dogs... 99% of the time. ;)

Edited by kudzu

I'm actually glad this was posted - I was thinking about asking a question about this earlier today. Andy is leashed 100% of the time, unless in our backyard or for the first time today, in a baseball diamond (and he had no idea what to do lol)....I also signed a leash clause in my contract. I unhook his leash IN the car, and he doesn't step out of the car without it on. Andy has snuck out the door, once by me, and once after my BIL left the door open :angry: and he was "fairly" easy to get back. BUT, I panicked. I was terrified of losing him. SO, that being said, yes, I leash all the time.

My original question was to be something similar - I've seen video and pictures (not so much on here but on you-tube, other grey sites, etc) with dogs froliking in the ocean, around fields, rivers, etc and even one romping around in the snow in their front yard next to the street :eek . I was puzzled because I have always been told it's a big no-no to have one off lead. So, aside from fenced areas, are beaches or watery area supposed to be more secure? You'd sure think so with all the video out there.

My boys are leashed.

I have pictures of my boy loose in the ocean because I swam him out to a sandbar and let him go. He does swim, but we were pretty far from shore so he really had no place to go. The sand bar we were at is HUGE!!!!!

Guest meggera

Just READING "unleashed dog" makes my blood pressure climb. 50% of the time while in our fully fenced in yard I still keep Vanille on the lead just in case she decides to try something funny. I, personally, would never let her off-leash unless she is in an enclosed and secure/safe location.

Gunda was off leash on almost every walk (4 or 5 times a day). We let Spriet off leash also, but not as much. Now she doesn't get off leash anymore (we don't want to let her run), due to an accident a few years ago (broken heel).

We got both Spriet and Gunda when they were 8 weeks old, so we trained them as soon as they came here.

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.rapiddogwear.com

anne_sas4_qf3zva.jpg

A good read pinned in our GT Amber Alert forum: How Not To Become A Member of the Runaways Club by Marcia Herman.

This. Greyhounds are *sighthounds*. Trust is a deadly disease and off-leash is just not worth any of the risks.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest KennelMom

It's quite common with Greyhounds & honestly I think it should be with other breeds. The only difference I see between Greys & other non-sighthound breeds is the speed at which they can depart.

My dogs are only unleashed in a fenced are or in performance sports areas.

ETA: Breed matters not. This applies to all my dogs... 99% of the time. ;)

This.

Leash.

Applies to all breeds. I've been involved in training dogs for nearly 40 years now. Most dogs whom people *say* have good recall, don't. Even the few dogs who do actually have what a trainer would describe as "good recall" often have it only situationally -- in a familiar area, during a familiar activity, etc. Change that and all bets are off.

In addition to the problem of a lost and/or dead dog, there is the problem of dogs who get in trouble close to home. Some folks here are going through a horrible and costly time because their dogs often ran, leash-free, from the car to the house after a ride. Except one day they didn't. They bolted and got the neighbor's cat.

Take the dog to a fenced area to run. On the unfenced trails, where your purpose is to meander, sniff around, explore -- keep the dog on leash.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.