Does Anyone Use Fish Oil For A Shiny Coat?

Guest iLoveLucie

Guest iLoveLucie

Just curious. Will the fish oil capsules sold at the supermarket work or do we need something "special" for a dog thru our Vet? Can we just add it to the dogs food? How long before we notice a difference?

I get the regular over-the-counter ones at the drugstore and I give it twice a day. I suggest starting off with just 1 pill a day because it might cause some runs in the beginning. Make sure that it is just fish oil and nothing else added in like some other vitamin or mineral.

I do. Once a day. Everyone says our dogs' coats are soft and shiny. Over the counter, BJ's or Kirkland gives you a lot of pills for low cost.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I use it, although not for that reason per say. Quality of fish oil can vary a good bit and some places are better about making sure their oil is pure (not from fish with toxins). For those reasons, and because I wanted a liquid rather than capsules, I use Icelandic salmon or anchovy oil. Both are available on Amazon for a reasonable price. You just pump the oil out onto the food. Neyla loved it, Zuri took a little while to get used to the taste, but will eat it now. For him @75 lbs, he is supposed to get 3 pumps per day. I would start with 1 pump, then work up over the course of a week or two for your pup.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I drop a capsule of fish oil in with breakfast and dinner for the dogs. I think the dose per capsule is 1200mg. I get fish oil from Costco (Kirkland brand) and the dogs and I share a big bottle. :blush The vet has blessed this dosage. All 3 have nice shiny coats. I really don't remember how long it took to see results--I've been giving for several years.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Yup...

On the recomendation of my vet, all the dogs get a fish oil capsule dropped into their kibbles twice a day. Gobble them right up.

We buy a big bottle of salmon oil capsules at Costco.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Stripeyfan

We originally started giving it to Kelly for his IBD, as fish oil can help calm intestinal inflammation. But it has also given him the most gorgeous shiny coat! We get it from a human health food store.

Guest Swifthounds

The coat condition is a nice side effect. I give it to help organ function and lessen inflammation and joint issues.

You want fish body oil. Sometimes salmon is more palatable to dogs, but it has more omega 6s (the ones you sleazy have too much of in the diet), so is less ideal than a mixed mackerel/anchovies oil.

The number on the front (1200 or 1000 mgs) is the amount of oil, not the amount of omega 3s. Flip the bottle over to see how much DHA and EPA are there. You should start at a dose of 300mgs combined DHA/EPA per 30# of weight and if for joints or no improvement, feed that amount daily per 10# of body weight.

Guest DoofBert

Yepper, we use SALMON oil..... everyone gets 1000 U per day except for Bacchus..... he's also supplementing for his degenerativemyelopathy. He gets 2 tablets each day plus some vitamin e>

And bTW, we bought the 'special ones 'fromour vet.... didn't have as much oil per dose.

shiny coats all around....... the shiny pokeynose black pack.

Edited by DoofBert

My vet told me specifically to get the kind made for humans, and not a special dog kind (I don't know why).

I give the dog two or three per day (trying to get about 300mgs combined DHA/EPA per 30 lbs of weight) and sometimes I don't even have to put it in his food - when he hears the bottle open at meal time he comes over and begs for one!

8409816506_4027b1afc8.jpg

Batman (racing name CTW Battle Plan) adopted May 2011, passed away July 2017

Buffy (racing name CTW Bathsheba) adopted Oct 2012, passed away March 2022

Just wanted to add that you also want to make sure that the vet notes that you are giving fish oil in his/her records because it has "aspirin-type" properties in that it hinders clotting so the vet should know that in any type of emergency/medicine situation.

Also, if your dog is ever due for any type of surgery - you want to stop the fish oil 10-14 days before the procedure. Some vets will let you know this and others won't .... so make sure that you are on top of it.

I give it to George, and like Swifthounds, for its anti-inflammatory properties as well as the benefits to his skin.

I also take it myself, although I'm currently taking Krill oil.

I buy a big pump bottle of Grizzly Salmon oil from Amazon.com and give him 3 pumps once a day.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We use Grizzly Salmon Oil as well. KV Pet Supply or Amazon have better prices than pet stores. Go easy on it at first as adding a bunch of oil all at once to their diet can give them diarrhea.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My vet told me specifically to get the kind made for humans, and not a special dog kind (I don't know why).

When I was looking into this, everything I read said that the omega-3s need to be vitamin E stablized or you get oxidation, which is easier to find in human versions. I use Cosco's brand for Patrick for his arthritis.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Swifthounds

Grizzly is a good salmon oil, and a good choice I your hound has or might have a soy allergy, as the vitamin E used to preserve most fish body oils is soy derived. It will, however, go rancid faster (though not rapidly - just don't buy a 6 month supply for the number of dog's you have) because ts preserved with Rosemary.

Guest manawatugal

I don't give fish supplements as I would rather give the whole fish and as my boy so far won't eat whole raw fish (he's raw fed which I'm sure has helped) he has tinned sardines twice a week. I've only had him 4 months and I have progressed from kibble to 100% raw apart from the obviously cooked sardines and I am also trying a NZ product called 'MyBeau' made by www.palamountains.co.nz a vitamin and mineral supplement that comes in a liquid paste form that is supposedly 99.5% absorbable. This is kind of experimental as his coat was quite dull and he had really dry flaky skin when he arrived. So far his coat is looking really good, dry skin is diminished but I am not sure which of these things is the cause, maybe all in combination.

My guys get liquid salmon oil once daily on their kibble. The dose is 4 pumps from the spray bottle. Their coats look fantastic.

I have also given salmon oil capsules from Sam's Club. Riley would take them as if they were treats, but Raven turned up her nose. They both like the liquid stuff.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

lakse cronche salmon oil- 4 squirts once a day. excellent skin and coats. 88 oz for $48 - it last 1/2 year for 2 dogs. i tried costco capsules, olive oil, safflower oil, solid gold suppliments, nupro, bacon fat, this seems to do the trick. going to order more today, doggiefood.com seems to have the best price so far.

Guest larock

We've been using the wild salmon oil for a couple of years now. I think it's mostly Omega 3 (not 3/6/9). I must day we have the softest pups in town!

Edited to add: DH and I take Omega 3 as well - we also have shiny coats too!

Edited by larock

Guest dmona

Every morning; one for me and one for Nike. He has a lovely soft coat.

You didn't mention if you have a lovely, soft coat!!!!

Summit is on Hill's J/D for his joints and it has lots of fish oil (for the omega 3). Not only has it firmed up his poo, but people are always commenting on how soft and shiny he is. He also gets tinned sardines every other week or so.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Be aware, though, that adding fish oil to food is not without risk, though I believe strongly in Omega 3's and take it myself. I know Soulsmom strongly believes adding fish oil is what triggered Soul's HGE, and I definitely suspect it was what caused Beth to almost get acute pancreatitis.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad