Bone Cancer In The Vertebrae

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

update post 1

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Did OSU have any suggestions as to what the abnormalities might be? Full bloodwork and a VF test sure wouldn't be a bad idea. Sending best wishes for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry Lorinda. That just sucks, but even Dr Couto isn't infallible. For what it's worth, OSU wasn't convinced that Dude had osteo just from the xrays either.

Several things to think about:

>Will knowing Power has cancer change how you go forward with his medical care?

>If you do find out it's cancer, what are the treatment options, in that location, if any??

>Can you afford to do this treatment and can Power handle it given his physical shape and general attitude?

>If you decide to treat as if for cancer, what's the downside for him if it's not?

>If you're not going to treat for cancer, how, if at all, will this change what you would do otherwise regarding palliative care?

>Can you control his pain adequately to give him a good quality of life, whether you treat or not?

Unfortunately cost does figure into this. If DH's Mom hadn't just passed, we wouldn't have had the extra $$$ to treat Dude's osteo (we're probably over $10K and still counting). The on-going treatment we're doing now is managable though still spendy.

Fine needle biopsies can be just as inconclusive if the needle doesn't hit exactly the right spot. It's hard to do just in a leg so I can't imagine trying it in a vertebra. A larger biopsy will require major surgery. And sometimes, taking enough bone to test can be a problem if there's not enough good bone left.

We will be thinking of you and Power and your whole family. Please keep us updated! :grouphug

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Several things to think about:

>Will knowing Power has cancer change how you go forward with his medical care?

>If you do find out it's cancer, what are the treatment options, in that location, if any??

>Can you afford to do this treatment and can Power handle it given his physical shape and general attitude?

>If you decide to treat as if for cancer, what's the downside for him if it's not?

>If you're not going to treat for cancer, how, if at all, will this change what you would do otherwise regarding palliative care?

>Can you control his pain adequately to give him a good quality of life, whether you treat or not?

We will be thinking of you and Power and your whole family. Please keep us updated! :grouphug

These are all VERY good questions to think about. some I have rolling around in my brain, but it is good to see it on "paper"

like a check list,, makes it easier to think thru.

Thank you!

Power goes in tomorrow for a chest X-ray, and if clean, :hope , we will do a full blood work up, with tick panel and valley fever test. I don't know how far we will go with all this, but this is a good start and will give us a more clear picture........ I think a glass of wine is in order :blush

we'll take it from there, and i'll let you know what we find out.

Thanks for the support and prayers!

lorinda

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

It's so hard when there is no clear diagnosis. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. Hope the tests tomorrow goes well.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Ugh! I was so hoping that OSU could provide an answer. Still sending prayers for him :candle :candle :hope :hope and hugs for you. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest BlackandBrindle

I don't know what vet you've taken him to, but I'd suggest taking him into see Dr. Yokam if you haven't already.

I'm so sorry you haven't got answer yet, but we are sending lots of good thoughts for your boy. :grouphug

another update,, post 1

It's hard, but each piece of information adds to your aresenal of how to go forward. Here's hoping Power has an easy week for you. :grouphug

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Still keeping Power and you in our thoughts. I hope it's not cancer, I really really hope so.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh, Power! :kiss2 Beautiful boy - we all want you to feel better. Lorinda, I wish there was something that I could say or do to comfort you. Please know that you are both tucked tightly in my prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I'm afraid to say this out loud.... :ph34r

Power is 100% BETTER!!! :mum

no crying out, no pain pills, head is up, ears are up, he can lay on either side (before it was only on the left) NO LIMPING!

I just don't know. all the experts say, could be cancer, looks bad, but we can't confirm cancer, but it could be.....

We had another set of X-rays taken the other day. It shows lungs clear,, it shows the space between the vertebrae is really small,, like the disk is collapsed or mostly gone,, that could cause the pain! it shows the area being static and old looking...instead of active or mothy..

the blood work is perfect! no tick disease, kidneys and liver perfect.. still waiting on the VF, but the vet is pretty sure it will come back neg......

this morning in talking with the vet, she said that they were talking about Power, and looking at his X-rays again, wondering if it could be a blood

clot, that doesn't sound good to me, but she said, it could be dissolving, and it would present itself in the way Power has been acting.

Well,, IF Power gets painful again, we will go to Prednizone or Rimadyl. treating for inflammation first,,

This morning i had a hard time keeping the boy from doing ZOOMIES in the yard,, that's how good he feels!!! :rolleyes:

Does cancer have this roller coster?

If it's cancer, he'd be in pain,, all the time, right, in varying amounts,, but not this 100% better thing???

Well, i said it all out loud, I hope i didn't jinx it....

crossing all toes, fingers, paws and anything else that can be crossed,, i'm crossing it! :P:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

:goodluck:goodluck:goodluck:goodluck:goodluck

Here's hoping Power is OK now and that it was just a horrible scare for Mom!

Well, that's an awesome update! I hope he continues to feel great, and it's not the bad C. I don't know if you said how old he is? I just wondered, because my old girl developed spinal problems that sound a lot like what you described from the second x-rays. Basically, some of her vertebrae had lost most of their "cushion" and the bones would rub together or pinch a nerve. Hers was in her lower spine/hip area, and the pain would come and go, but sometimes it would be so bad she couldn't stand or walk. If this turns out to be what Power has (or something similar), acupuncture was a huge help for her. If the worst happens, acupuncture is still helpful for pain control.

:candle

Guest KennelMom

That's GREAT news about your boy! I hope he's healthy and happy from here on out!

Does cancer have this roller coster?

If it's cancer, he'd be in pain,, all the time, right, in varying amounts,, but not this 100% better thing???

We actually went through several months with Rocky where he'd have painful "episodes"...then back to normal for a while. I'm sure the threads are still around H&M. No one had a clue what it was...took two MRIs to find the cancer in his spine. Before that we'd already spent a small fortune on diagnostics (blood, xrays, physical exams) at two "regular" vets before we transferred over to the specialty hospital.

eta: when they did find the cancer, there was no question about the degradation of the bone and he was REALLY REALLY painful by that point...to the point that we couldn't really control it anymore anyway.

Edited by KennelMom

Lorinda, we'll take any good news, any news that he's feeling better. I hope that he continues to improve.

Still sending prayers and white light, and suited up for your beautiful boy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown