Kebo Update

Guest greytkidsmom

Guest greytkidsmom

Our sweet Kebo has been through a lot but the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter. I thought I'd update everyone on his progress over the last month.

He has been cleared to eat normal kibble (soaked in water) instead of the kibble "gruel" we had been serving for the last 4 weeks.

The boy hasn't missed a meal and he is keeping our fences safe from the rest of the neighborhood.

Just last week we were able to retire the "cone of shame." He had been wearing one on and off for the last 3 months.

Our vet cleared him to try small hard treats and Kebo thinks they are like crack to him. It is the closest thing to a "happy dance" I have seen in quite some time. Later this week he will be reintroduced to his old friend, Purple Bear.

I hope that our experiences with Kebo will help others with oral or facial tumors. There is so much support and information available regarding osteosarcoma and amputation that we felt a little orphaned. North Carolina State University Veterinary School was such a help to us as we nagvigated the studies, diagnoses, treatment options, and treatment decision. They were so supportive and informational to us as our sweet boy was in the hospital so far away from us. We are grateful for our cancer-free funny faced boy. Our hope is that we will have many many years of kissing that sweet nose from years to come.

I think he has a lot to offer as a therapy dog - does any one have any information about how to get trained and involved in pet therapy? My internet searches just confuse me.

Here are the requisite pictures...

p320854542-3.jpg

handsome happy boy - just turned 9 years old

p705573257-3.jpg

the unwelcome lump

p34349525-11.jpg

His second surgery - all of the red was bone that was removed and covered with a mucosal flap made from his gum tissue.

p889163661-3.jpg

postop day #3 - the day he was released from the hospital

p962397340-3.jpg

postop day #10 - loving the "cone of shame"

p1018122079-3.jpg

showing off his still stunning looks

p824228528-3.jpg

Yesterday - almost 5 weeks since surgery. I can eat krunchy treats!

p899640644-3.jpg

Mom says ah look a little lake the pretty dog named Wabi that lives with Miss Xan.

We just can't stop kissing his sweet nose. He may look different on the outside but he is our same Kebo on the inside.

So happy to read that Kebo continues to make a successful recovery from his surgery. I hope that you will continue these updates. We can't see enough pictures of his sweet face. :)

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Way to go, Kebo! Enjoy your treats, you sure do deserve them!

My understanding in the United States is that you need to acquire the Canine Good Citizen certification and then you can do your evaluation with your chosen therapy dog group. I consistently hear about Therapy Dogs International as a top therapy dog group to join. Good luck with that! -- it's very rewarding for everyone!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Ah he's one sexy looking boy!! Thanks for the update- I was thinking of him-- keep them coming! You might want to check out TDI-- therapy dogs international. That group has an exclusion where a greyhound doesn't have to sit in order to pass the test--that was a plus for my hounds!

I believe the key to the therapy dog issue is the insurance. Some facilities are mandated to have some sort of pet therapy in their programs, and carry their own insurance. Thus, you don't need any insurance of your own. Usually, these facilities just have someone in charge "interview" your dog, and then you are on your way to visit in that facility. My local veterans' home is like this. Other facilities require you carry your own insurance. You get this insurance via certification with a group. I had TDI (therapy dogs international) certification for many years and on 4 dogs, but when they retired, and I moved, I was unable to find an evaluator closer than 3-4 hours away. The TDI test is an extension of the Canine Good Citizen test. They are aware of the special needs of greys, and allow testing in an martingale, and greys can pass their test without sitting. I am in the process of certifying my new girl with Therapy Dogs, Incorporated. Their evaluation consists of three supervised visits with a tester/observer. The T/O guides you on the appropriate behavior and how to achieve it--almost one-on-one tutoring. Delta Society also certifies, and has quite stringent requirements---My friend's greys have always been delta dogs. Many of the local 4H clubs have certifying procedures---you might check them out. All the certifying agencies and facilities have medical requirements of some sort---UTD on shots, fecals, some require extra immunizations---they differ. Please persist in your search for an agency to certify/visit. It is incredibly rewarding, and a good deed for your community. When my new girlie is certified, I will return to visiting my local hospital. The docs and nurses are just as happy to see a visitor as the patients are.

Just had another thought: Why don't you call some facilities in your area, ask if they have pet a pet visitation program, and if they do, ask who is the certifying agency for the pets who are already visiting. They might even be willing to give your number to someone who has a certified dog, and you could take it from there...

Edited by oldrunners

So glad he is doing well, and possibly even more handsome than he was before :wub: :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kebo looks greyt and I am so happy he is doing so well! He is a very handsome boy and all the more special now.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thanks for the update & all the pictures. He looks wonderful & more importantly, sounds like he feels wonderful. smile.gif Yay for Purple Bear! yay.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest greytkidsmom

Just had another thought: Why don't you call some facilities in your area, ask if they have pet a pet visitation program, and if they do, ask who is the certifying agency for the pets who are already visiting. They might even be willing to give your number to someone who has a certified dog, and you could take it from there...

Thanks for the insight. Some greyt ideas. I am also going to check down the street at the library to see if they have a program because we would be able to walk there - no car ride :)

YAY! So good to hear that Kebo is on his way to a full recovery. Thank you so much for sharing your journey it was very informational. Sending many, many kisses to Kebo's nose.

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

Oh, my gosh---isn't he amazing? I wish I could grab him (gently, of course) and give him a big hug!

You've been pretty amazing through all of this as well.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Adding our own gentle kisses to that sweet nose. When Purple Bear day comes, everybody had better get ready to dance!

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

The "reading to the kids" thing may not be available right up. My therapy group, for instance, requires one YEAR of visitations to nursing homes or hospitals or the like BEFORE you can be evaluated for the reading program.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

For some reason seeing the latest pictures of Kebo made me tear up a bit - in a good way :colgate I'm not usually like that, but there's something about his sweet face that says so much about how loved he is. What a sweet, lucky dog you have!

Kudos to you for all that you've done for him. I'm looking forward to more happy updates - and pictures!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest greytkidsmom

We put the toy basket out today (with all of the hard toys removed). When DH came home from work he ran straight to the basket, fished out his purple bear, and ran over to DH to show it off. He spent the evening on the couch with his head in my lap then headed upstairs to his favorite thoughtful spot to chase some bunnies in his sleep.

As a side note, I managed to find contact information for one of the therapy groups in our area and as it turns out I know the lady in charge. She has a beautiful white tripod greyhound who we have been fans of since we came to town. Small world, huh? Their evaluations are coming up soon, hopefully I can get Kebo and the princess Tiel on the list.

wub.gifbeatinghearts.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis