Deep Ulcer Between Beth's Toes

I don't think you have to worry about the stitches too much - the bigger problem will be if she licks/gets at them. We didn't restrict Princess after her toe amp at all (ok, so she was almost 13 so it wasn't like she was running laps) but the stitches should hold in normal use.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you have to worry about the stitches too much - the bigger problem will be if she licks/gets at them. We didn't restrict Princess after her toe amp at all (ok, so she was almost 13 so it wasn't like she was running laps) but the stitches should hold in normal use.

Hmm, helpful to know, but the vet really really warned me about keeping her as still as possible for the next five days or so, and made it sound really scary and dangerous if the stitches pulled open.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Glad the surgery went well!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Gosh, I' ve been unable to check FB and GT much and I missed this completely! About Beth's surgery, I mean. I am so very glad to hear that the surgery went well. The healing process for us humans is often the most nerve-racking part, I am sending many hugs your way, Anne! And of course scritches to Beth - my fingers are tightly crossed for a speedy and uneventful healing process. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Hmm, helpful to know, but the vet really really warned me about keeping her as still as possible for the next five days or so, and made it sound really scary and dangerous if the stitches pulled open.

It's possible the vet is thinking of the holiday weekend, and not wanting you to have to go to an ER if there's a problem or concern.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It's possible the vet is thinking of the holiday weekend, and not wanting you to have to go to an ER if there's a problem or concern.

We have to go in for bandage changes every day until Monday at least (except Sunday). I wish I knew how to lift her into the car, and was sure I could lift 60 pounds (half my own weight) -- I've seen it done but I've never lifted a greyhound before.

Edited by PrairieProf

Anne, I'll post my "how to pick up a greyhound" pictures in a moment. It is very easy to pick them up and you should have no problem picking Beth up...she's just a tiny little thing :)

Give me a moment to find them...

Okay...you want to set yourself up like this (put yourself in a squat):

79647412.jpg

Then, as you lift up, let the back legs tuck under, like so:

79647440.jpg

Lift with your LEGS, not with your back.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

What you DON'T want her to do is put sharp stress on the surgery site. I would think jumping UP would be fine, but jumping DOWN would not. And unless your bed is one of those really high ones, or upstairs, I would probably let her up there. Some oozing is going to occur - soaking through a light bandage tonight would not be unusual. You don't want to see lots of bright red blood - go into the e-vet right away if she starts actively bleeding. Keep her quiet for a couple days - on leash walks only - so she has a chance to recover from the trauma of the surgery. Though Dude bounced back with a couple days and I had a VERY hard time keeping him quiet!

You need to keep the bandage dry. Either put a plastic baggy over it for outside, or see if you have a bootie that will fit over it. Someone here also recommended that press and seal saran wrap, which is a great idea.

As far as lifting her goes, have her stand parallel to the car. You stand next to her. Put one arm around her chest and the other around her back legs between the hock and her butt. Use your legs and lift her straight up, take a step forward and put her into the car. Reverse the process for getting out - NO jumping down!

If you can't lift her, or she doesn't want you to, lift up her front end and put it in the car, then lift up her back end and scootch her in.

Give her a kiss and a hug and a cookie!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest MnMDogs

That's a lot of bandage changes! Mork had some oozing after about 24 hours, and that was through a fairly substantial wrap. The vet said it was normal :).

Regarding lifting Beth, you can do it! I've been lifting Mork (weight 75-85+ at times) in and out of my Subaru for 7 years now, so you can definitely do it! I generally just lift under his belly behind his front legs and in front of his back legs. I know people have said that they scoop them up around front and back legs, but Morky is way too long for me to do that!

Good luck to you both!

Thanks for the input -- those pictures help a lot, Kristin! I wouldn't have thought of kneeling down first. Maybe I'll try it in the morning when we have to get in the car. I guess I could practice once in the house tonight.

Funny, I wasn't so worried about her jumping down as the front legs take most of the impact. Lifting her down would be easier, though.

I don't think I can "half" lift her in the car -- she jumps in eagerly and swiftly, so I can't see her waiting for a two-part lift if her front paws start going up. (She's definitely one of those top-crate springy girls!) She does know "wait" though, so I think I can get her to stand still while I open the rear door and get in position to lift her.

We have a Pawz boot and have been using it for weeks already with the wrap (and with the baby sock for her other cut toe before that) so keeping it dry is no problem.

Edited by PrairieProf

You probably want to squat more than kneel - I know I'm kind of kneeling in the photo, but, when that photo was taken I was 23 years old and could stand up from any position :lol Now at age 30, getting up from kneeling isn't as easy as it used to be :lol It would probably be easier if I were about 50 lbs. lighter and in better shape :blush

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

With Gracie's toe amp walking and getting into the car was just like pre-amp, no problems.

In our fenced backyard I kept her leashed for a few days so she wouldn't be tempted to chase a squirrel. On damp, dewy days I put a couple of layers of toddler socks on and removed them after going outside.

She never fussed with the bandages. They did seep a little bit. We had multiple dressing changes. She needed a 2nd round of antibiotics but that was due to the degree of inflamation prior to surgery.

Honestly, she didn't miss that toe at all from the moment it was gone.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Well, I tried to lift Beth for practice in the house last night and threw my back out, and also feel muscle strain in a thigh. My back hasn't bothered me of late so I forgot I tend to have problems with it. Need a trip to the chiropractor this afternoon. :huh So I think she's going to have to jump, though maybe the techs at the vet's office can lift her out and in while I'm there.

A quiet night -- no breakthrough pain or any weirdness (except for me, since I slept on the sofa next to her crate). I'll report again after our bandage change this morning.

I am glad Beth is out of surgery and doing okay. Sorry to hear about your back, lifting these pups can sometimes be tricky and even a little girl has some weight behind her. We'll keep thinking good healing thoughts for both of you!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm sorry you and Beth are having such a hard time. :grouphug

MoMo's toe amputation was about 2 1/2 weeks ago. At this point I'm keeping her crated while I'm at work, though I'm not sure it's necessary. She is very good about protecting her foot herself--careful about not putting weight on it. She has been hoping up on the couch and bed on her own and it looks to me like she is using only her sound hind leg to do it. She lets me put her front end into the car and then lift her rear and, until this week she has waited for me to lift her down from the car. I have been using a leash as we approach the car to keep her form just bounding up. Would that work for you with the car and the bed to give you time to help her up?

Situation and surgeries and dogs are different...my vet had me do bandage changes twice a day the first week and once a day since then. The stitches have stayed in really well. One of them came out last week but the others are still holding and the one that went AWOL caused no issues. I was afraid that the bandage changes would be hard to do or too "icky" for me to handle on my own, but I've been pleasantly surprised. MoMo is such a sweetie about it, though she is getting really tired of the bandaging process at this point (she had several week of it before the amp as we tried to save the toe by removing the corn and a chunk of the pad first--sadly, a failure). Would your vet maybe let you do bandage changes yourself with a weekly chek in for him to see her foot? That would decrease the number of lifts in and out of the car.

Anyhow, from a couple of weeks further along in toe amputation healing, I'll just hope to cheer you up. Things should really begin to get easier for both of you pretty soon.

Best wishes for full and swift healing.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Back from our first vet check -- everything went well. I let her jump into the car and got a tech to lift her out. The techs changed the bandage (wasn't crazy about the vet not getting a look at her, but the techs saw the foot in surgery yesterday and I do think they're very competent) -- they said the foot looked great for (less than) twenty-four hours out, just minimal oozing and no swelling at all.

And the tech I think of as the most experienced showed me a way to help Beth in and out of the car that I can do -- I hold her collar to keep her under control and put my arm under her tuck, and help guide/lift or lower her rear end while she jumps. That way I can prevent her smacking her rear feet on the ground but I'm not trying to hold all her weight. We're a little awkward at it but I'm pretty sure we can get it down, and it will work for my bed too when I'm ready to let her up there in a couple of days. I'm really going to try 100% crated in the house (or on leash) at least until tomorrow night.

Edited to add picture as of about 11:00 a.m.: ;)

downsized_0526011051a.jpg

Edited by PrairieProf

Sounds - and looks! - like she's doing great! Hugs to Mom and patient!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest bethac

Awww, she does look pretty comfortable. So glad the surgery is over, that she is doing well, that you are working out a plan to help protect her foot for the next few days.

Hope you can relax now Ann. Pour yourself a glass of wine tonight and hug your girl. She's going to be fine. Keep the updates and pictures coming. :grouphug

Aww, good girl, Beth. Anne, glad you've worked out a technique that will work for you :) I never think about putting my arm in the tuck because most of the lifting I've done was with Sutra, and boy dogs aren't very keen on having that area smooshed :lol

She still seems to be doing OK, though she sits down periodically when she's walking, as she did with the injury itself. No limp though, same as before. I'm reminding myself it's only the day after surgery, my foot would hurt too if someone chopped off my toe.

And she still hasn't pooped since yesterday morning, but she didn't eat much yesterday and I'm pretty sure she'll go later tonight. She was very distracted by a neighbor's cat who was outside with him as he worked in his front yard and who is so dog-friendly she ran up to Beth and started rolling around right in front of her :rolleyes: -- Beth did NOT want to turn around and go back up the block!

Edited by PrairieProf