Deep Ulcer Between Beth's Toes

In addition to Beth's torn toe ligament, we've been battling an abrasion between her toes that was caused in the process of the injury -- it seems like the destabilized toe rubs the other next to it. That is, the abrasion's not in the webbing but on the inside surface of one toe, or on both toes, but one side is ulcerated. It must be pretty close to the bone. But while her overall foot pain and swelling is getting better day by day, the abrasion is getting worse. Now she's on topical and oral antibiotics, and as of today is wearing a muzzle with stool guard -- she tended to lick the sock I had on the foot and the vet said that created moisture around the wound and was no good, it needs air to heal.

Well now I see that each time after I walk her to potty, the area between the toes looks red and bloody. And just now she was lying in a way where I finally got a good look deep between (her toe hurts so you can't just pull them apart). I finally saw just how deeply ulcerated one spot is. I really don't think this is from licking, I think it's from walking even a limited amount. And I wonder if the vet saw just how bad it is when I was there this morning.

I'm going to go in (yet again, I've been there every day since this happened except Sunday) as soon as I can tomorrow. But what on earth are we going to do, if it needs air to heal but walking on it keeps making the ulcer deeper? Maybe using the muzzle so it can really get air now will help, but I'm not seeing it...

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Air to heal" is not the be-all and end-all. Nice when you can get it, workable when you can't. I would probably clean well, dry thoroughly (tuck a cotton ball in there for a few minutes, then remove), then tuck a little pad made of nonstick gauze slathered with SSD (silver sulfadiazine ointment) in there, then wrap. Might be worth trying to support the other toes with a little padding, too, so they don't rub as badly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Unfortunately, greys get these rub-sores SO fast. I had a broken leg dog whose cast rubbed his leg into a hole in a matter of hours.

There's a couple of ways I've dealt with this before, it all depends on the dog, situation, etc. etc.

You could do a soft wrap where the two offending toes are stuffed with soft padding - the soft wrap will hopefully stop any movement/rubbing of the toes so she can walk around without making it worse. You would have to also do daily bandage changes with soaks, but it is definitely possible for this to heal without "air" (I've done it). Your vet may also be able to give you a salve that will help with granulation... I forget what it's called.

If the toe is that crooked that it's causing rubbing that badly, has it been reset properly? That seems a little odd but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Good luck :)

edit to add: if you do the daily soaks, the foot must be DRY before it is re-wrapped. And looks like Batmom and I were responding at the same time. :)

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest bethac

I have no advice ... but it sounds just miserable for Beth. Sending hugs to both of you. Hope the vet can come up with a good plan. Poor Beth ... :(

Good question. I haven't found any around here so I get a little jar's worth from my vet. You could use just triple antibiotic. Anything that'll keep the bacteria down and be a little slippery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I would also suggest restricting activity as much as possible, if at all possible. The more she stays off the foot, the more time it'll have to heal.

Doesn't seem to be around in stores though they have it online. I could use her antibiotic ointment for tonight. The soft wrap people are talking about is vetwrap, basically?

I use vet wrap + gauze wrap underneath for padding. Have your vet or a vet tech show you how to do it properly if you've never done it before, it's pretty easy. But I've seen wraps done poorly cause problems - swelling, more rubbing, etc.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Yes, vet wrap.

Your antibiotic ointment would do fine, no need to order special.

FWIW, our whippet would get cysts between his toes from time to time. Looked awful for awhile but always healed. Fingers crossed that will be the case for Beth too.

Potty walk isn't a problem even tho she has to go a little ways. Foot things almost always take a little longer to heal than you hope -- you can't keep a dog 100% off his/her feet. Have to be a bit patient.

P.S. I've done it Bauer's mom's daily-soak way, too, with Epsom salts solution or Nolvasan solution. Really depends on the dog and your care preferences whether to do that or just ointment and wrap.

Edited by Batmom

OK, I called my neighbor who has a greyhound and galgo and is a former vet tech. She's going to come over and help me do it -- I figure she knows how to wrap and just having another person with some experience in the house will help me emotionally right now.

I'm afraid my vet will yell at me tomorrow since he's big on air, but meanwhile I have to walk her at least twice before I see him, and it would be nice for it not to get worse....

Potty time is fine, of course dogs need to do that. :lol But less walking = less friction and all that.

If you go the ointment route, you might want to still do frequent bandage changes. I've had the unfortunate luck of having a previously nice and happy ointment-lubed wound get embedded into the "non stick" gauze because I left it too long and it was pretty nasty. Lesson learned.

I'm glad you have someone who can come over and take a look and I would hope your vet wouldn't yell at you!

To keep the bandage clean and dry you might want to order a medi-paw boot. The boot will also stop her from licking. It can be used with or without a bandage. I acually own one of a size-- cause ya never know when a boo-boo will arise. I think you might need to order a medium. If you google medi-paw you will see many online dealers. If you strike out pm me and I'll send you one (I can obtain them easily).

Start with changing it after one day, and if it looks good/smells good, then you can probably do every other day and be fine. And keep it dry and clean and all that.

Feet wraps get pretty funky, generally, so I'm in favor of more frequent clean bandages, but again, it all depends on the situation, what you are comfortable with and so on.

Won't kill her to lick it. You don't want her to, but don't stress over it.

Like Bauer's mom, I usually start with once-a-day bandage change. If it closes up and isn't oozing anymore (that probably won't happen for a few days at least), then I'll go every other day. That's about as good as I ever get with a foot.

You need a script for SSD...just wanted to add that in here. Triple antibiotic ointment works fine, but SSD is magical! I just had my vet call it in to the Target Pharmacy.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Won't kill her to lick it. You don't want her to, but don't stress over it.

My vet is totally anti-licking -- he thinks that's what caused the damage that has worsened the wound in the first place! And licking totally messed up the scar on Beth's flank from surgery -- made it heal much worse than it should have. So I stress a lot over it.

My neighbor was just here, and Beth is wrapped. So I feel a little better, though scared about what my vet will say.

Wound beds do not heal optimally when exposed to air. That is pretty out dated. They need mositure to heal best. So the A?B cream is fine. A hydrogel would also be good. Then gauze and wrapped as others have said.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Don't worry about what the vet says. You're the customer. Hard to remember that at times, but you are really the boss and you pay the vet to *help* you do something workable. A little give and take, KWIM? Hugs.

Thinking of Beth and wishing you well.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Don't worry about what the vet says. You're the customer. Hard to remember that at times, but you are really the boss and you pay the vet to *help* you do something workable. A little give and take, KWIM? Hugs.

The problem is, he knows I consult folks online (here!) and says, "who do you trust, me or people on the internet?" And I do trust him -- I wouldn't be seeing him if I didn't think he was an excellent vet -- but I trust people like you, too. And when the advice goes in different directions, it's very anxiety-producing and confusing.

But, you are a very rational and intelligent person, who likely wouldn't follow anyone's advice blindly. You're well equipped to think through the muddle of contradictions for yourself, what is likely to work and what isn't, to keep the foot from getting sore (or getting worse). Right? Bloodwork and infectious diseases, yes, probably want to defer to the vet 99%. This is more like a skinned knee, and you've probably had those of your own. If she's inclined to pick at it, you may have to wrap it, even if (nod to your vet) it may not be the best thing to do in every case. Once it starts healing, you can likely leave the wrap off again when you're there to keep her from picking.

Trust yourself a little.