Deep Ulcer Between Beth's Toes

What a good friend you have!!! I was thinking pretty much the same thing....the sooner it's off, the sooner it can heal, but

didn't feel I should say so.

Bless her heart, I'll bet my last quarter that Beth will do fine & a few months from now she'll have forgotten that miserable

wonky toe was even there.

Best wishes to the beautiful girl....will be thinking of you tomorrow!

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a good friend you have!!! I was thinking pretty much the same thing....the sooner it's off, the sooner it can heal, but

didn't feel I should say so.

It's LisaB, though she's not on GT too much these days. :) I realize now she's quite right. Though I'm nervous as heck tonight.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I don't know if this will help or not - but I have photos of Princess' immediately post-surgery, if you wanted to get an idea of what it might look like? Sometimes knowing what to expect helps me with the pre-jitters, so just offering!

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest bethac

Ann, I can only imagine what you are going through tonight. You are not alone, all of us are keeping you and Beth in our thoughts and prayers. We'll be looking for your update tomorrow. Sending hugs and prayers your way. :grouphug:hope

I don't know if this will help or not - but I have photos of Princess' immediately post-surgery, if you wanted to get an idea of what it might look like? Sometimes knowing what to expect helps me with the pre-jitters, so just offering!

Yes, I would like to see that! You can send it in a message if you want.

Ann, I can only imagine what you are going through tonight. You are not alone, all of us are keeping you and Beth in our thoughts and prayers. We'll be looking for your update tomorrow. Sending hugs and prayers your way. :grouphug:hope

Thank you so much for the support. I'm OK so far tonight but scared about tomorrow night....

She'll probably sleep quite a bit tomorrow night after the surgery. The important thing to remember is to stay ahead of things with her pain meds...it's much more difficult to eliminate the pain than it is to prevent it.

Will be thinking of you guys tomorrow and hoping for the best. :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest MnMDogs

Good thoughts for you and Beth! Mork is missing 2 weight bearing toes (he came to me with one gone, and another was removed a year and a half ago now). He still has a limp on the front (toe missing when we got him), though that could be due to the corn on his other weight bearing toe on that foot.

He has no noticible limp on the right rear with the newly removed toe. We had the bandage changed the first time after 2 days, then every 4-5 days or so after. I think that lasted for 2-3 weeks. Within 5-7 days he was using that foot like a champ! Beth is going to feel so much better without that wonky toe :)

Guest bethac

Ann - thinking of you and sending positive energy to both you and Beth. Everything is going to be fine. Please post an update when you can. :grouphug:grouphug

Guest KennelMom

Yes, I would like to see that! You can send it in a message if you want.

Thank you so much for the support. I'm OK so far tonight but scared about tomorrow night....

I have some after pics (48 hours after surgery when we took her bandage off) of Melody: http://worldofgrey.com/?p=952

Sending good thoughts to Beth and you today!

this is how Melody came home from surgery

4334715688_bfb00581b0_o.jpg

Edited by KennelMom

Thanks everybody ... he is doing it right now as I post this :unsure . He'll be doing it by laser surgery, which supposedly promotes quicker healing. And putting in subcuticular sutures if he can so she won't need stitches out. We'll be going in for daily bandage changes and foot checks, for how long I don't know.

I will update later....

Hope Beth has a super rapid recovery. I think you dd the right thing. She won't even miss the toe and I tell you I could have just about guaranteed you that you would always be doctoring it to a greater or lesser extent if you'd have left it on. Some toe injuries simply do not ever get "well" and are constantly reinjured and cause continual problems. Good call. Give her a kiss for me (gently).;)

The vet called; she's out of surgery and did fine through it (systemically and, I guess, the toe site itself). He said she was "like a rock" in terms of her vitals. He wasn't able to do the subcuticular sutures but that's not a biggie. I'll be picking her up late this afternoon. In addition to oral pain meds she has a "ring block" of the nerves around her foot to get her through this evening.

Guest bethac

Sending more hugs and prayers for Beth. I hope you have some good friends there to give you a real hug and not just these virtual hugs from all of us. :grouphug

Keep us posted on how things go after you bring her home. Sounds like she did just great through the surgery, which is a huge relief I am sure. Let the healing begin ... :thumbs-up

Guest zombrie

I missed all this! I'm glad you went ahead and did it so she can start healing. Many hugs to you and Beth! Hoping for a quick recovery!

Glad to hear she came through the surgery well. Prayers she heals quickly.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

She is home ... resting quietly in her crate at present. She even roached for a few seconds! :) Puts some weight on the (numbed) foot. I am nervous because I see a little blood oozed through the vetwrap (it's just a small foot wrap with a little gauze underneath, I think) -- though the vet said some oozing was to be expected for the first few days. Does that sound OK? I don't mean she's bleeding all over, just some discoloration of the wrap. We go back to the vet for a bandage change at 9:00 tomorrow.

I am also very nervous about keeping her still enough so that she doesn't rip the stitches. She loves to be on my bed but the vet doesn't want her jumping up there -- but when she jumped into the back of the car (he supervised) he said that was OK, she wasn't using her bad foot to push off. So maybe in a few days she could jump on the bed if I lead her up to it. She really has spent most of her time on my bed since the original injury. But I'm going to try to keep her mostly in the crate for the next couple of days, even if that means I have to sleep on the futon next to it and spend most of my time in that room (where the TV is, at least, although not the computer). And, I guess, spend a lot of time out, since she's fine crated when I'm not there but will probably get antsy when I am. So long as she doesn't mess with the foot....

Edited by PrairieProf