Deep Ulcer Between Beth's Toes

My vet said it was OK for a couple days after surgery to not go poop. Her system should start up again once she eats properly.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bethac

Hope you have a good night with Beth. Sounds like she is doing pretty good. They say it takes awhile for the intestines to "wake up" after human's have surgery, maybe it's the same with dogs too? :unsure

Hope you have clear, calm weather for the long weekend. Sending hugs your way. :grouphug

Beth is doing well -- we just got back from her second bandage change and another very positive report from the vet tech. She also said Beth seemed less bothered today when they were putting the antibiotic ointment on her suture line. We had to wait a while in the reception area and she wanted to stand up a lot of the time and check things out, which I thought was a good sign! She's doing well with walking too (and pooped last night and this morning). I'm keeping her on crate rest in the house the remainder of the time. I may let her up on my bed tonight, though, because my back can't take sleeping on the futon anymore but I don't really want to be in my bed if she can't be there with me.... :blush She doesn't usually get off the bed once she sacks out for the night.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

:yay Glad she's recuperating so well!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Another positive report from the vet tech this morning! And because I won't be able to come in again until Tuesday, I bit the bullet and looked at Beth's foot (I wanted to be shown what they do when they change the bandage, so I can do it myself if needed or probably anyway on Monday). It is gory but not all that bad -- a lot of what is alarming to see is just the pinkness of the shaved foot. Tons of stitches, of course, but the overall foot shape now didn't look too bad -- I think when it's healed it won't be terribly conspicuous. Interestingly when the tech put the antibiotic ointment over the suture line Beth is most sensitive down near the end of the incision closer to her pads, rather than up near the foot where the actual digit was amputated -- maybe it's like humans with more nerve endings around the "fingertips"?

She also did well walking this morning -- she didn't sit down at all, though that might have been a fluke. And I let her up on my bed last night (she did jump down from it once before I could stop her, but no harm done!) -- it was sooo nice sleeping with her as usual again. :wub:

For the strong of stomach, I took a cell pic of her foot (a little blurry, I think she moved): http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s357/PrairieProf/0528010921.jpg

Edited by PrairieProf

That looks excellent Beth! I think she is well on her way to getting her life back!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest bethac

Although it does look a bit nasty, it sounds as though it was much worse before the surgery. Beth seems to be doing well, and you too Ann. Hope these next couple days without the vet are relaxing and uneventful. :thumbs-up

Just soliciting some reassurance, since the vet is closed until Tuesday :angry: -- it's four days since the amputation and while Beth walks well mechanically (she puts weight on the foot, maybe slight oddness in her walk but not much when she occasionally trots) it's clear the foot still gives her discomfort when she walks -- she's still sitting down every little while on most (though not all) walks and has three-footed a few times. This is on major pain meds (100 mg Deramaxx daily, and 100 mg Tramadol 3x a day).

This isn't too abnormal, right -- not a sign she's not going to be comfortable again pretty soon? It's just hard after watching her in pain from the injured toe for several weeks and having her show the exact same signs after the amp -- I'm beginning to have that "what if she's never OK again?" worry, and can tell my anxiety level is going up and up as I wait for Tuesday morning. I'm going to change the bandage myself before bed tonight, yikes -- the tech showed me what to do.

Edited by PrairieProf

Relax :) . She just had surgery a few days ago. That foot is going to be more (now) or less (later) tender for a good 6 weeks. It has to heal, then form scar tissue, and then the scar tissue has to toughen up. Takes time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Wow...that's an awful lot of Deramaxx for a tiny girl. Sutra's cancer dosage was only 50mg per day :blink:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Her foot is still wrapped, right? If so, it's probably still uncomfortable for her to walk - and I doubt it's indicative of any long term issue.

We took Princess out of her wrap after pretty quickly after her surgery because she was already an unstable old lady (thankfully she left her stitches alone) and she was a lot more comfortable. I'm sure you'll see the same after she's out of being wrapped up.

Are you doing the bandage changes yourself now?

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Wow...that's an awful lot of Deramaxx for a tiny girl. Sutra's cancer dosage was only 50mg per day :blink:

You can go up to 3-4 mg/kg Deramaxx - for a 60 lbs female, that would be upwards of 100 mgs. I've done that for post-op dogs before.

The 100 mg tramadol 3xs a day is more than what I've used for broken leg dogs (usually every 12 hours unless they are having a difficult time), though.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Yes, her foot is still wrapped. That's interesting that it might be uncomfortable -- the dislocated toe was more comfortable when the wrap was holding it in place. I did think that it might affect her gait, since the toes can't spread out normally. I'm going to try to change the wrap tonight or tomorrow since it's a long haul until the vet is open, but otherwise I'm going to keep going there -- I want trained eyes on it and fortunately the office is only five minutes from my house. I feel very isolated and going to the vet is sort of the most comforting part of the day. Beth is a serious wound-licker so I want to keep that foot bandaged a good long time!

Kristin, the Deramaxx dose was calculated as fine for her weight (she was on 75 mg after the initial injury, and I remember the vet saying she could be on up to 100 at her weight). She seems to be tolerating it fine. I assume we'll be lowering the dose after the first week. She was also on 100 mg Tramadol 3x/day after the injury, then we took it down to twice a day.

Edited by PrairieProf

Her dscomfort is probably less from pain than just from her foot feeling so different - the wrapping probably increases this sensation, especially if you have a boot on too. Some her her sitting and tripodding could also be habit from when her foot was hurt before. It took Dude a good three months to use his leg normally and he had not had his foot wrapped very long. She might also still be getting tired easily.

Dude was not on any pain medicine after about 5 days, and I started weaning him off after three. He was steadier and not so tired/sleepy all the time when he was finally off the pan meds.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

When you change the bandage, look carefully at her foot to make sure Beth's nails aren't rubbing against an adjacent toe. She'll be placing her foot differently on the ground, now, so make sure the difference isn't causing a problem totally unrelated to the surgical business. (I'm hoping the vet has placed padding between the good toes when Beth was bandaged.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Well I changed the bandage successfully this morning (need an icon here for wiping nervous sweat off one's brow). The suture line looks fine, no swelling or pulled stitches, and I got antibiotic ointment on it the way I'm supposed to. There is Telfa padding between the newly-adjacent toes. Some of the rest of her foot, mostly the remaining middle toe, looks quite red and inflamed -- this at least mostly isn't new but is from the original abrasion. (The ulceration was on the toe that was amputated, but the opposite side was red and abraded as well.) It looks to me like it would be healing better if it got some air and didn't have a bandage pressing on it -- but hopefully I can talk with the vet about that tomorrow. Maybe I could put on her muzzle and leave her foot unwrapped during the overnight? Anyway, I can imagine it's pretty ouchy.

When Sam had his partial toe amp the vet wanted air to get to it after the first few days. Sam is a huge licker even when there is nothing going on. We were able to monitor him a lot during the day but at night we finally put his therapaw boot on very loosely. that way it got more air than a wrap but kept him from licking it. sock didn't work, he just ended up with a soggy sock and foot. Hopefully Beth will continue on the mend and will be trotting around like before very soon.

Guest KennelMom

Melody had her bandage off after 48 hours post-surgery and we only wrapped it to go outside if it was rainy or muddy. Healing greyhound feet can be really, really, really hard b/c they don't have a ton of circulation down there. I think it's best to have it open to the air as soon as possible...greyhound skin is usually not happy in a dark, moist place like you find in a foot bandage.

How did you keep her from licking it? I have a muzzle with stool guard but I think she can get it off if she really tries.

Does it hurt more to walk or does it pull on the stitches with the toes spread out and moving around more?

Yikes, now I'm really nervous. I guess 24 hours more won't really change anything that much.....

Edited by PrairieProf