Zevon Has Lymphosarcoma

Guest greyhoundgirl1

Guest greyhoundgirl1

I never thought it would be me posting this. Zevon wasn't eating well 2 weeks ago and his bi-yearly blood test came back with weird liver levels. After almost 2 weeks of different tests involving needle aspirations of his liver, spleen and lymph nodes which yielded nothing, they did a MRI guided biopsy of these 3 areas again and the pathalogist report came back with an emphatic no cancer. Then suddenly on Easter Sunday he developed all these lumps on his back. I took him to the vet on Monday and they did a biopsy on 3 of the lumps. I just received the dreadful call------ lymphosarcoma!

So I tried scouring old greytalk posts to get some information. I know Dr. Couto's name came up in some of the posts. Does anyone know if he deals with lymphosarcoma or just Osteo? I had gone to the Greyhound Wellness Conference last year on Osteo, and I know OSU has sometimes shipped free chemo for Osteo patients. Does anyone know if OSU also works with vets for treating lymphosarcoma?

I was looking so forward to GIG and now????????? :(

Edited by greyhoundgirl1

Dr' Couto deals with all greyhound health problems. Please, please forward the results to his team, OK? I'm so sorry for the news :(

contact info

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Sending many prayers for your Zevon. Sending hugs to you and Jim, Patricia.

Tricia, Burke, Bee, and Murray

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

:( No advice, just sending lots of prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You bet he deals with Lymposarcoma-- he's dept head of oncology as well as the greyhound health and wellness program. I encourage you to contact the team. Sorry you received such crappy news-- feels like you got punched in the stomach doesn't it? Don't give up on your pup and don't lose hope LS can be treated and smacked down into remission. Please keep us posted!

Dr. Couto's team is treating my whippet mix for lymphoma (I think this is the same disease as lymphosarcoma but not sure). Twister's lymphoma is confined to her lymph system and probably her liver and spleen. It is not yet in the bone marrow.

They are doing the Wisconsin protocol. After just one week of treatment her lymph nodes shrank to almost normal size. She has just had two treatments so far and I can see that she is already feeling better.

They told me if I didn't treat her at all she had only 3-6 weeks. With treatment, the mean survival time is 14 months in a dog without bone marrow involvement. She is an older girl, so I probably won't get 14 months, but her remaining time will be happier.

Jane

Guest K9Cookies

Dr. Couto helped us through Bonnie's chemo protocols for lymphoma and even provided some of the chemo medications at no charge. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm so sorry for the diagnosis. :grouphug

Guest greyhoundgirl1

I just arrived home from a visit with the Oncologist at Red Bank Vet Hospital. We have decided to give the chemo a shot. It's a 19 week CHOP PROTOCOL, which will be divided into 4 - 4wk sessions.( It looks like this PROTOCOL might be either the VELCAP OR MADISON PROTOCOL? ) We decided to take one session at a time to see if Zevon can tolerate it and make any improvement. I have e-mailed Dr. Couto for his opinion. What a nightmare!!

Guest K9Cookies

Pat, I'm really glad we got to talk at GIG. I responded to your PM. Dr. Couto is wonderful and will help you with things. Take care of yourself as you're taking care of Zevon. It gets easier after the first few weeks. :grouphug

Guest greyhoundgirl1

Zevon had his first chemo on Sunday, by Monday nearly all of the lumps on his back were gone!!! The oncologist said if he was going to have any reaction to the chemo it would occur between 3 to 5 days. So I'm happy to report we are on the eve of the 5th day since chemo and so far Zevon shows no illness. I have a drug called raglan(?) on hand in case of tummy woes.

Also I contacted Dr. Couto and he will be sending some of the chemo drugs, others are on back-order. Whatever we receive will be helpful.Thanks to all the Greytalkers for their advice and info about Dr. Couto, and of course everyone's prayers and well wishes. Zevon's next treatment is Monday. I am staying optimistic since he is eating well and seems no worse for the wear. Will update as we go.

Thanks for the positive update. I hope to see a lot more of them. There will likely to be a few bumps in the road, but he has a really good chance with the chemo.

Sending lots of healing thoughts to Zevon---and to you.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

That's great news! All fingers crossed that he continues to respond well to treatment.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That is great news! I will continue to keep Zevon in my prayers.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

That is good news about the first chemo treatment! I am sorry you and Zevon are going through and will hope all the treatments go as well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm sorry your boy has this illness. But greyt news about his good response to the treatment! Keep on truckin', Zevon!

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter