Kali, My New Addition

5586737287_8ac46de9e6_z.jpg

Here she is just a few minutes after arriving last night.

Kali (formerly Hanks Drama Queen) is the last of Alimony's offspring to retire. She was predopted by me just under two years ago when they sent her down to Orlando not expecting much of a career. But she surprised everyone and won four of her first eight races and was running against A dogs before her second birthday. What was previously half a strategy to keep myself motivated to foster (and not keep any of those fosters) became a long-term adventure. But I would think Shark, Cross, Scout, Chimera, Dynamite, Lottie, Beau Beau, Burn Out, and Magic are glad I did what I did.

As a puppy that grew up on gretalk there are plenty of puppy pictures out there. Since they are not mine I will let others share those. I did however decide I wanted to see her race in person, so I took a long weekend and went down to Sanford Orlando in December of '09. She was doing well, but had not quite reached her full potential when I was there.

4183174469_aee9f32059_z.jpg

(she raced at night. I took this picture forgetting the flash would go off so the other shot I took is not so great)

4191608156_8ece44dd23.jpg

After that, she hit her stride and was winning the 753 race left and right. And, on a particularly good day she managed to break the track record at that distance in January of 2010. It was pretty wild watching her race during this period. She would let a dog take the early lead and then blow past them with around 200 yards to go. I think she was winning about once every other week for the first six months of 2010. And they only run once a week for the distance races.

5586739671_730d9125da_z.jpg

Meeting her 'sister' Zuni. And she had just come from staying with her actual sister Riley for a few days.

She continued to race, but started having some nagging injuries and would race for a month and was off for a couple weeks. The last race she won was in January of this year, catching the leader right at the line. But the next three races she was not very competitive, and after February 18 she did not show up again. And so we got the word that she was ready to come home. With help from Linda in NC, who adopted Riles (and who I can't thank enough) she made the trip north from Florida on Wednesday and I drove down to the NC/VA border yesterday to pick her up. And here we are, a long time in the making.

And in case anyone was wondering, she is the pup that was known as Pansy Jane.

Edited by Pepperjack

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YAY! PJ & PJ!!!

Welcome home, Kali! You really couldn't have landed in a better place!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest TBSFlame

I was so lucky to be in North Carolina and be able to help Kali, Flower and Renee to their forever homes. I was just in the right place at the right time. It was cool to have a brief reunion and cool to keep track of Flower and Pansy's racing career since my pup flunked out of puppy training. Riley came home at 18 months. lol. Everyone one of these pups are funny, silly, outgoing and sweet. :) Congrats PJ, you are in for a treat and I am so happy I could be a part of it.

I am so ridiculously happy about this that I am beginning to annoy even myself. :lol Congratulations! :yay

I have been blessed with adopting Kali's mama, Alimony, and one of Kali and Riley's sisters, Flower. I've been watching all five girlies in this litter since they were born, and had the privilege of meeting them a couple years ago just before Flower and Kali moved off to start their careers at Orlando.

I am so happy that they have all made it into loving homes, and I am especially thankful that a few of those are homes of friends of mine. :D

I have lots of puppy pictures taken by Jenn. I hope she doesn't mind if I post a couple...

Proud new mama Alimony with her litter.

fp55.jpg

october20183.jpg

Family reunion two years ago. I brought Alimony to the farm to see her babies once more before they started racing. They fell right into place behind their mama. :lol

DSC_0322.jpg

It's a little hard to be 100% sure, since four of the five girlies had very similar markings, but I think this is Kali as a pup. The thin neck stripe I think is hers...

December-9th-085-copy.jpg

BJsvisit045copy.jpg

Oh, and one more, from my farm visit two years ago. :)

DSC_0304.jpg

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Renee was also there, and I believe she and Kali both wore green kennel collars. Really hard to tell them apart without seeing the names on the collars. :lol

I think Renee doesn't have that neck stripe, correct?

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Hey look! Jon Stewart heard about Kali coming home:

stewart_kali.jpg

:P

Congrats, PJ. I'm so so happy for you all. She seems like a perfect match for Zuni, and you're all welcome to come to our house for zoomies anytime!! (after we shore up the fence)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Whoop Whoop! I can't wait to hear more Zuni/Kali stories :D

Congrats PJ!

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

It's amazing how patient you were but she looks well worth the wait. Congrats :yay

I imagine your many foster dogs are thankful you are a patient man as well.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest bethac

PJ, I am so happy for you. Love the puppy pics and the kennel picture. Kali is a beautiful girl. Can't wait to hear of her new adventures with you and sister, Zuni. :confetti

Guest Houndstown

So does this mean we're gonna have two little black girls to hold down our dog beds at GIG this year?! :lol:lol She really is adorable, reminds me of Tera. Here's to hoping she doesn't have Tera's inquisitive personality though!