Good Thoughts Please

Guest Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

Chevy got hold of a bunch of grapes this afternoon; ate them all, left only a couple stems. It's entirely possible and more than likely that Ollie helped him; he always shares with her when he scores some forbidden goodie. I wasn't here when it happened. Nobody was here; my hubby came home and found the empty stems. It's been about 7 hours, and so far both seem fine. But I won't sleep tonight.

Also, a week and a half ago, I came home from a very very long day of traveling and working to find out Ollie was injured. We think but will never know, that she tried to escape the backyard by scooting under the chainlink fence. It appears that it was too tight a fit, and one of the prongs sliced her open on her back--about 2 inches wide and a good half inch deep. It was ugly. The vet stapled half of it and left the other half open because he had to cut away a bunch of skin and tissue. So, she's still healing from that. (photo attached.)

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1256a.jpg

I'm tired, no I'm exhausted. I've been on a big commercial project for the past six weeks, and I have been working a ton. I want to believe my guys can take care of my babies while I'm not here, but they aren't inspiring much confidence at the moment.

Please keep my boy and my grandgirl in your thoughts.

Edited by Adrianne

I grew up with a standard poodle. He was an awesome dog. Before we knew grapes were poisonous to dogs (which was after he died), his favorite treat was grapes. He had tons of grapes throughout his entire life and he lived to 15 years old (his life expectancy was 10-12). I'm not saying grapes aren't poisonous, but they don't affect all dogs the same way. Hopefully your guys do just as well with grapes as my poodle did. Let us know how the pups do.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Awww... Adrianne - you got it -- good thoughts and a prayer or two and some white light and maybe a hug... I won't go into all the reasons I'm empathizing, just know I'm thinking of you and the 'two kids'.... ;)

Guest Adrianne

I grew up with a standard poodle. He was an awesome dog. Before we knew grapes were poisonous to dogs (which was after he died), his favorite treat was grapes. He had tons of grapes throughout his entire life and he lived to 15 years old (his life expectancy was 10-12). I'm not saying grapes aren't poisonous, but they don't affect all dogs the same way. Hopefully your guys do just as well with grapes as my poodle did. Let us know how the pups do.

Wilbur had an iron gut, and he was an Okie dog. Chevy is an Okie dog, and I'm hoping iron gut is an Okie dog trait. And I'm just hoping for Ollie. It's been 8 hours, and so far neither one of them show any sign of anything out of the ordinary.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I think the thing with grapes is, not so much that they're toxic but that given regularly, or in too large quantities, they can cause anemia-- I'd be more worried about things like Macadamia nuts, which are actually poisonous. (Correct me if I'm wrong someone.) I know that before grapes were identified as being bad for them, we always routinely used grapes for treats with our Dachshunds (what I grew up with)... not in large quantities of course.

I think if you keep an eye on them, good chance there won't be anything detrimental.... but keep us posted anyway!!

Guest Adrianne

We are thinking about you and your pups.

How are they both feeling?

With the grapes saga, so far, so good. It seems to be a perfectly normal night thus far. I'm the only one not sound asleep. :blink:

As for Ollie's back, it's still very tender to her. The stapled side looks very good, and the staples will come out Friday. The scab came off the other side today when I cleaned the wound. It looks pretty good, but I was hoping it would be a little further along in the healing process. Still bleeding a bit, and still split open a bit. But it doesn't look infected, and it is healing.

Thanks for thinking of us.

Aaaw! Your poor puppers! Hope they both do fine tonight.

I know the feeling about leaving the man of the house in charge of the dogs! I *know* he does fine, it's just not ME taking care of them!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The concern is that there have been a number of reported cases of acute renal failure within 2-3 days of eating significant amounts of grapes or raisins. But as Sambuca mentioned, many dogs are fine with eating grapes, and it is not known why some dogs have this reaction. Btw, it's onions that can cause anemia. Hope your pups are ok!

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

:grouphug x3

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Hoping all is well with both your puppers.

Deeper injuries like Ollie's can take awhile to heal. Sometimes you'll think no progress is being made and then all of a sudden it's closed! Fingers crossed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hoping all is well with both your puppers.

Deeper injuries like Ollie's can take awhile to heal. Sometimes you'll think no progress is being made and then all of a sudden it's closed! Fingers crossed.

When one of my girls was attacked and bitten several times on the back I thought one of the wounds was never going to heal. My vet had me cleaning it twice daily with Nolvasan (sp) to keep it from getting infected and told me that when the sore is on the back it takes longer to heal because it is difficult for a wound to drain when it is on the top of the back. It did heal and you can barely see where it was. Hang in there and give it time.

Also, hoping all goes well with both of your kids from the grapes. We used to give grapes as treats years ago too when we didn't know better.

Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts.

june

Edited by june

Guest BiancasMom

What jjng said. You won't know the grapes have caused damage (if they are going to) until 2-3 days later when the dog starts showing signs of renal failure. I also fed my dog grapes growing up. Hope he will be fine!

Guest Adrianne

What jjng said. You won't know the grapes have caused damage (if they are going to) until 2-3 days later when the dog starts showing signs of renal failure. I also fed my dog grapes growing up. Hope he will be fine!

Thankfully, by then, my big project will be finished, and I'll be home and able to pick up on even the smallest change.

ETA: Oh, and I did just find a lollipop on the sofa. (Besides the grapes, Chevy pulled down a basket of lollipops yesterday.) I'm sure Ollie hid it there for later.

Edited by Adrianne