Osteosarcoma Stinks

Guest Mom2Melanie

Guest Mom2Melanie
:( Found out last night that my best friend and first grey, Melanie, has OS. She is a little over 11 and the spot is in her upper shoulder. Given her age, we are going to treat with Gabapentin (she just had GI issues last month with vomiting blood so we didn't want to use an NSAID) and spoil her rotten for her remaining time with us. Right now, other than a limp, I would never know there was anything wrong. Any suggestions on how to get through times like this?

Guest Mom2Melanie

She's been with me since she was a little over 2. I've heard other greyhound folks talk about Osteo many times over the years but hoped we would be lucky. I guess I should still consider us lucky that she got 9 great years on the couch :) Hug your hounds tight tonight!

I'm sorry you've gotten this terrible news. Love her like crazy every minute and make some extra special memories. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Yes, you are right---we all need to hug those precious hounds and celebrate each day we share. You've gotten such devastating news that so many of us understand, and are familiar with. Even those who have not been affected personally share the heartache of each new diagnosis.

I think coming here or Circle Of Grey for advice, info, and just to have a place to vent, be sad or share a smile, is one of the best things you can do. In the osteo thread, you will find others traveling the same road, at different stages of the journey.

Most of us would tell you that pain management and control is key. That, and just cherishing each moment together. Your brave girl will amaze and inspire you.

I'm so sorry. It's a monster, and it stinks big time!

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm so sorry.

You get through things like this one day at a time--one step at a time. If they didn't bring us such joy, it wouldn't cause us such sorrow when they have to leave us--always too soon.

Hang in there.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I agree that osteo stinks. I am sorry you and Melanie are going through this. I too suggest checking out the osteo thread and joining the circle of grey group. Both have incredibly supportive people who have been through this battle. My only suggestion that you are probably already doing is to enjoy your time with Melanie and try to focus like our hounds do on living in the present. I know how hard this is to do but that is what I tried to do with our hound who battled osteo. We did not know how long he would live comfortably so we tried to make the most of what time we did have with him.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest juliagulia630

I agree, OS stinks!! My James is fighting his battle for one month now. Don't hesitate to ask any question. Greytalk has been our rock!

Take photos, make memories and treat each day special. You are right, cancer stinks.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

G-d bless.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am very sorry, it is a horrid disease. As was stated, take photos, enjoy every day as each will be special. I hope you have a lot of time left with Melanie.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry. I was where you are 10 months ago. I was so lucky to get 7 more months iwth my girl after she was diagnosed. Cherish every minute you have with her and take lots of photos and videos.

You might also ask your vet about Tramadol. It's not an anti-imflammatory, has limited to no side effects and can be used with Gabapentin.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm so sorry. I was where you are 10 months ago. I was so lucky to get 7 more months iwth my girl after she was diagnosed. Cherish every minute you have with her and take lots of photos and videos.

You might also ask your vet about Tramadol. It's not an anti-imflammatory, has limited to no side effects and can be used with Gabapentin.

I am so sorry. OS does stink. My Joe was a candidate for amputation/chemo. He is now almost 8 months post amp.

I second NeylasMom's suggestion to ask about tramadol. It is important to stay ahead of the pain. You should talk to your vet about maximum dosages of all her pain meds. This way you can increase the dose if necessary and not have to wait for the vet to get back to you when your girl is hurting.

In some dogs, Tramadol can cause nervousness. Reducing the dose may eliminate this. Changing to a narcotic is also a possibility if the tramadol causes nervousness or doesn't control the pain enough. Neither of these are known to cause intestinal bleeding like NSAIDs.

Give Melanie a gentle hug for me.

Jane

Guest d0ggiem0mma

OS really does stink... cancer in general sucks big time =( My non-grey just got a cancer diagnosis last week and will be having his leg amputated in a couple weeks. It's hard to even process this kind of bad news. The folks here on the board have been a big help for me.

I'm still struggling through it, like you, but my advice is to lean on your friends and use whatever resources you have available. That's what they are there for. There's a 24/7 hotline with the ASPCA you can call to get support or discuss hospice issues (877)GRIEF-10 There is a lot of good info and worksheets available at the ASPCA website and at the OSU Vet Hospital website

My thoughts are with you and Melanie :bighug

Guest Mom2Melanie

Thank you for all of the words of support and the suggestions. I will definitely speak to the vet about adding the Tramadol. She hasn't seemed to be in too much pain yet, but her limp is certainly not improving so I know there has to be pain. As a side note, this weekend we had snow in Missouri. At first, I was annoyed (hello- it's spring!!), but Mel loves snow and as soon as she limped outside she took a look around, bopped down into a play bow, and did a three-legged fast circle. Of course she came inside and passed out on the couch right after that adventure- but it was so wonderful to see her have a little moment of true bliss :) I'm grateful to have some more time to notice those kinds of moments.

Guest ellieb

So sorry to hear your news. Even sorrier to say I am in the same boat.

My velcro-girl, Indigo, was diagnosed 2 weeks ago today. She will be 11 on June 9th. Hers is in her left shoulder. The limp is awful.

She is on Tramadol (4x per day) and Rimadyl (2x per day). I put the Rimadyl right in her food. I hide the Tramadol in a small ball of Velveeta. I have heard that it is very bitter tasting.

My vet is holistic. He said we will fight as much as we can without heroic measures. To boost her immune system, we are also giving her Da Zao Wan (1/2 tsp in plain yogurt, 2x per day) and MycoSurge (10 drops on a square of bread, 2x per day. He also told me to change her food to a high protein, high fat, low carb kibble. He said carbs make sugar. Sugar = fuel for cancer cells. He recommended EVO Small Bites in the chicken flavor. I also put a dollop of canned food on top to hide the Rimadyl. :)

Her appetite has been normal. She goes outside to pee/poo without fail. The 3 concrete steps out the back door do make her hesitate, but I just encourage her to go slow. I walk all the way out with her every time. I am afraid she will try to chase a squirrel and fracture her leg. Everyone has told me that you do NOT want that to happen. It is horrible for the hound and the loved one who witnesses it! My vet says "better a day too soon, instead of a day to late" when it comes to letting her go. I am watching her closely for signs. He has assured me that when that time does come...he will let her pass at home. That is so comforting to me.

Her personality is still totally my Indi Roo. I am spending as much time with her as possible, taking lots of pics and telling her how much I love her. I even ordered a Shutterfly photobook full of pictures from when we first saw her until now. I titled it, "It Had To Be Roo!" lol

If you want a virtual buddy to get through this...I am here. I tried to PM you. Don't hesitate to stay in touch. It helps having a support system.

Hugs,

Ellie

It seems like the os diagnoses just comes in ever bigger waves. I hate opening the H&M threads and seeing how many new osteo cases there are. Each one is like an arrow to the heart. I HATE this shi**y disease - absolutely hate it.

I am so sorry for Indigo's dx. Treasure each day and make wonderful memories for later.

Guest Mom2Melanie

My mantra for the last few days has been:

Grant me the serenity to truly enjoy every day with my grey without sorrow

The courage to help her go to the bridge when it is time

And the wisdom to know when that time is

It's a little cheesy, but it really has helped me focus on the good.

My mantra for the last few days has been:

Grant me the serenity to truly enjoy every day with my grey without sorrow

The courage to help her go to the bridge when it is time

And the wisdom to know when that time is

It's a little cheesy, but it really has helped me focus on the good.

It's not cheesy, it's what all of us strive for with this diagnosis. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Mom2Melanie

We just added Rimadyl last night. I was scared to add the nsaid since she's had a histroy of GI problems, but I think it was the right choice. She woke up this morning with a little more pep in her step :) She is still limping, but is finally putting some weight on her leg again.