King Is At The E Vet

For whatever it is worth, Sadie had a happy tail that wouldn't stop bleeding (turns out she had a puncture from a pricker). When the vet tested her blood he found low white blood count and Von Willebrand factor. When he consulted re: greyhounds he found both values were normal for greys. It gave us a good scare though. We also managed to find the offending hole. In any event, greys have a different Von Willebrand factor, if I recall correctly (you may want your vet to consult OSU if they tell you it's abnormal).

And I hope it's something simple. Scritches for your handsome boy.

finalsiggy.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More good thoughts coming your way from central New Jersey. King looks like the king in your house!!!

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

King and his family continue to be in my thoughts...I'll be checking in for positive updates :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest freightsmom

Just seeing this....I remember when King and Freightliner came to BAGA from the SCAL program and you guys had just adopted him. Seems like just yesterday....Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

Guest bigorangedog

Just saw this too. Sorry if it has already been mentioned (haven't read the whole thing yet), but our Tobey had similar symptoms in October and they eventually decided to call it Immune-Mediated Thrombocytopenia. Basically, his immune system went nuts and started attacking his platelets (and we may never know why). They had him on Doxy and Prednisone, and he's as good as new now. They did a bone marrow biopsy, the babesia test, a lymph node aspiration, ultrasound and xray, and all were clear. His platelets were at 1000 (which is INSANELY low, should be 125,000).

What were King's platelets and PCV? I hope he is doing better!!

sending many prayers for your handsome boy! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Even though he is white/brindle, he reminds me so much of my very beloved Pearl (white/black), even with the silly stand up ear.

Pearl had hypertension and went to see Dr. COuto. He said that many greyhounds have idiopathic hypertension. (no known cause). So, he could have more than one problem.

Pearl did very well on her BP meds in case he needs to go on them. Just check his BP regularly.

Good luck.

Just a quick update to say thank you for all of the prayers for my boy and that he is doing very well today. clap.gifHis nose has now stopped bleeding for 29 hours! goodluck.gif and hope.gif that it just doesn't return. Hoping to have TBD results tomorrow so I'll update about that when we have info.

Gingey: Thanks for that photo, I hadn't seen it before!!

Just saw this too. Sorry if it has already been mentioned (haven't read the whole thing yet), but our Tobey had similar symptoms in October and they eventually decided to call it Immune-Mediated Thrombocytopenia. Basically, his immune system went nuts and started attacking his platelets (and we may never know why). They had him on Doxy and Prednisone, and he's as good as new now. They did a bone marrow biopsy, the babesia test, a lymph node aspiration, ultrasound and xray, and all were clear. His platelets were at 1000 (which is INSANELY low, should be 125,000).

Bigorangedog: Initially his platelets were 585k (a little high) but then about 18 hours later it was within normal range at 268k. I found one entry in his records from the evet that says PCV 60% and according to my research from Dr. C that's normal for greys.

Thank you again everyone!

Edited by KingsMom
gallery_16678_2973_7526.jpg

TNT Star Wars X Oshkosh Enigma King's Pedigree
King's sisters: Oshkosh Updraft, Dazie and forever in our hearts Oshkosh Ultra, Lily (3/7/03-2/18/13)

Thinking good thoughts for King.

Our last Dobergirl was badly affected by von Willebrands disease. She needed infusions of Cryoprecipitate before, during and after her spay.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Hoping for continued improvement. He sure is handsome and oh so photogenic.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Guest sweetpea

Thank you again everyone!

My first thought was thrombocytopenia as well, BOD beat me to it. (They called our version "idiopathic")

We did not go through the exhaustive testing, the vet just ordered a course of prednisone and

when we finished the blood tests came back with normal platelet counts.

(We went through it with a Ridgeback, so our numbers probably won't mesh with yours.)

I hope King continues to improve!

Buzzy