Sparks- Yin Deficiency & Osteo Dx

Wonder

I took Sparks to see a holistic vet today and she said he has a yin deficiency. She gave me a sheet with info on what foods to give him to help but I really can't find any other info online.

Some of the symptoms are:

cool-seeking

panting

thirsty

red eyes

night sweating

insomnia

dry skin

restlessness

tongue- red and dry

Sparks has all the above

The rest of the things on the list he didn't have but it's only a few things.

Anyone have any experience?

I'll start him on hoxsey & boneset (got from the vet)- I got a weeks worth and will see how he's doing in a week

----------------------------------------

Edited to add:

She also took an xray of his left, rear leg and she's pretty sure he has osteo. I am going to email it to Dr Couto but it needs to be either a jpeg or pdf which the file is not.

You can now see the tumor. The leg is about 2-3" thicker than the other leg. :(

I made him potroast and he chowed on it when I hand fed him.

Last night he finally slept the entire night :yay

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that something helps, Kari :goodluck

You scared me half to death when you posted that your mom is upset about Sparks - I thought that he had fallen again or something!

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

What does a yin insufficiency mean? I've never heard of it. Hugs to you and your boy, hopefully this helps him feel better.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

check out both hoxsey & boneset on wikipedia, hoxsey is for cancer treatment and boneset is toxic.

have you consulted w/ an acupuncturist? i ask after doing acupuncture for myself for over 10 years. a well versed chinese dr. will treat the root not the symptoms. yin dificeny relates to specific organs and each organ has it's season to be tuned up, gall bladder, liver, kidneys, they are deficient during different times of the year, it's pretty interesting. also,what resource is the vet using to compare your dog's tounge? chinese acupuncturist have wonderful resource books on the human tounge alone, it's fascinating looking at all of the variations and what each means. is your dog's tounge being compared to a human's?

i would go for a second opinion before administering the herbs. but that's my opinion after 40 years of owning dogs and over 10 years of going for acupuncture on a regular basis.

check out both hoxsey & boneset on wikipedia, hoxsey is for cancer treatment and boneset is toxic.

have you consulted w/ an acupuncturist? i ask after doing acupuncture for myself for over 10 years. a well versed chinese dr. will treat the root not the symptoms. yin dificeny relates to specific organs and each organ has it's season to be tuned up, gall bladder, liver, kidneys, they are deficient during different times of the year, it's pretty interesting. also,what resource is the vet using to compare your dog's tounge? chinese acupuncturist have wonderful resource books on the human tounge alone, it's fascinating looking at all of the variations and what each means. is your dog's tounge being compared to a human's?

i would go for a second opinion before administering the herbs. but that's my opinion after 40 years of owning dogs and over 10 years of going for acupuncture on a regular basis.

I went to a holistic vet and she did acupuncture today as well

You scared me half to death when you posted that your mom is upset about Sparks - I thought that he had fallen again or something!

He has osteo

Just got the dx this morning

What does a yin insufficiency mean? I've never heard of it. Hugs to you and your boy, hopefully this helps him feel better.

Yin represents the energy that is responsible for moistening and cooling bodily functions. When this energy is depleted your body begins to show signs of “heating up”. This is not a true heat but rather a lack of the moistening and cooling functions that are necessary to maintain a healthy balance.

Edited by Wonder

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Oh Kari, I am so sorry to hear the dreaded osteo word next to Sparks name. :weep:grouphug

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

He has osteo

Oh $***. I missed that somewhere. Jesus, I'm so sorry Kari :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

It's either osteo or fibrosarcoma. I need to email the xray to Dr Couto and his team. Not that it really matters which one but for closure plus the vet today said to let her know what he thinks after reviewing.

He has osteo

Oh $***. I missed that somewhere. Jesus, I'm so sorry Kari :grouphug

I wasn't going to say anything but the herbs gave it away. I should have googled it before I posted it. I'm a dumba$$ :rofl

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

We're here to support you Kari :nod

My holistic vet uses the herb "mix" called bone stasis for bone cancer. They are probably similar (if not the same thing) just by different herbalists.

I'm sorry about the diagnosis. I'll keep Sparks (and you) in my thoughts.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

I'll start him on hoxsey & boneset- I got a weeks worth and will see how he's doing in a week

Hoxsey's "remedies" are caustic and liable to be toxic. Boneset *is* toxic. I wouldn't give either of these to a dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

osteo, you didn't mention that! soooo sorry to hear that. hopefully your dr. will have the luck and good fortune my acupt. had with one of her clients. she extended his life, lesions on the clients brain reduced in size and he managed to get a good amount of extra time. again, so sorry to hear that you need to contend w/ osteo- i lost my gal emily to it last year.