Prayers Needed

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Carolyn (BlueCrab), thank you for the info. I will look into it, because we are more than financially strapped now with Harley's bill. It will be very difficult until I find a second job. So, I really appreciate the information!!

Well, we won't know Harley's blood work results until tomorrow, but he had a very good check-up at Atlantic Internal Vet Med. I did not realize that when I said Harley weighed 73 lbs, it included the fluid he was carrying. Geez, no wonder Harley looks like a skeleton--he really weighs 64 pounds, down from 80. So, our dear boy needs to get some meat on his bones.

Dr. Martinez at Atlantic says that prednisone can make dogs gain weight, but also can make their muscles atrophy, which she thinks is Harley's case, along with the weight loss. She said it will be temporary if Harley keeps improving to the point where the prednisone dosage can be reduced.

But, overall, she was very pleased to see Harley's improvement. And, she said as long as Harley keeps it down, that I can increase his food intake to about 1 cup or 1 1/4 cups, 3-4 times a day--just that I'll need to see how Harley does.

The main vet tech who took care of Harley last week told us that when she took Harley in the back area for his blood test, that all the staff had a little "Woo Hoo Hoorah Party" when they saw Harley's improvement! (I'm being a proud momma bragging again)

So, that's how our day went. I had to do some cooking tonight and Harley decided he didn't want to stay in the living room on his mattress, so he hung out with me on his big pillow in the kitchen all evening. That's my pup pup!

But, we're pooped, so we'll say goodnight for now. I'll let you know how his blood tests turn out tomorrow when Dr. Martinez call us.

It's so greyt to report all good news! Thanks again for being there for us,

hugs,

Sherry

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that you need more advice, but I have some on your poor baby's diaper rash. My daughter used to get severe diaper rash, and what worked best was A+D Ointment. The reason was that it was much more greasy than Desitin, and poop just sort of ran off it. Plus the ointment seemed to be much less painful than other creams, etc., and had a healing effect on "angry" skin. Hope this helps.

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Harley's blood work results came in today. His albumin is higher, which is good. But, his ALT and billirubin are up. The vet said it could possibly be a side effect of the prednisone, or something else like pancreatitis. He was tested in the beginning of his illness for pancreatitis and didn't have it. However I guess that doesn't mean it hasn't developed since then.

I've got to pick up another medicine for his liver in the morning, and get a fasting blood test on Tuesday. If he gets worse over the weekend, I've got to call Atlantic Internal Medicine. Dr. Martinez also mentioned the possibility of doing a third ultrasound on Harley.

Harley is eating pretty well today, and drinking. He was very quiet all day, and slept for the most part. No "happy Harley" signs except his sniffing around for food. Better than totally lethargic though.

He remains very weak to navigate the two steps to the yard. And of course we are having record breaking low temperatures outside. When I put Harley's coat on, which he hates, he will not go down the steps to the yard. He just stands there like he can't walk at all.

Now, I know he is wobbly and weak, but he's playing it up when I put the coat on. I'm going to try his sweater, which isn't warm enough at all, but I thought maybe on top the sweater, I could put one of my zip up sweat jackets that shrunk in the dryer to kids' size. (just don't tell him it's a bit girly--bright peach/pink). I've got to do something since the poor thing has no body fat at all now--just skin and bones. He still has an open sore on one pad, and I put a sock on that paw when he goes out since the boots make him stumble.

I'm trying not to panic, and truly, I'm not--but I confess that I'm worried about his liver enzymes. And, his being so quiet still. I don't think he pooped even once today--is that a good thing or a bad thing...

Not a bad day, but not stellar either.

:(

Is it possible to switch from prenisone to budesonide? Targets the gut and leaves the rest of him alone. Also doesn't promote weight loss.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Mary, I'll ask. It would certainly be the best reason for this new development - side effects from medicine.

I wrote the name down and will be finding out. Thank you for the suggestion.

:)

Guest HappyHarleysMom

I took pics of Harley in the ICU last week. Here are a couple. I also took pics tonight, here at home. Yeah, that's our xmas tree, still. I haven't taken the tree down yet. Haven't even thought about it. lol, I guess I should do it soon, huh.

I was afraid I would lose him and they let me snap a few in ICU. I took his Mr. Bill stuffie and my nightshirt down to him and he fell asleep with his paw around Mr. Bill.

Atlantic%20Internal%20Vet%20ICU.JPG

ICU%20pic.JPG

Tonight I brought him some more stuffies from his toy basket. He still has his "flying nun" ears, getting interested in things. yay.

Interested%20in%20stuffie.JPG

He's dozing off here.

getting%20sleepy.JPG

He just ate his last meal and is snoozing now. I tried the sweater jacket idea, and he refused to take one step outside. Major protest to any sort of coat. I took them off and he walked right out. geez.

Guest fringepup

His is a very handsome boy! What a face! I am sure he is much happier to be home. Hang in there and we keep sending our prayers his way and yours.

Guest Stripeyfan

Oh, he’s a brindle…! Gorgeous!! So glad to read the good updates and I wouldn’t worry too much about the muscle loss – that could also just be because he’s been so sick. It was the same with Kelly, but he’s put it all back on now, and didn’t suffer unduly because of it (he just looked a bit gangly for a while!).

As for not pooping, it’s possible Harley’s just ‘empty’ because of all the big D. This always happens to Kelly when he has a bad flare-up – sometimes it can be 2 or 3 days before he’ll ‘go’ again once the D has finished. Obviously keep an eye out for any signs of discomfort, but if Harley’s ok, HOPEFULLY this means next time he goes he’ll be starting to firm up. We’ll do a firm poo chant from this end to help things along!

Sending more hugs.

Continued prayers for Harley. He is beautiful!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest WarmheartedPups

I am just now reading of your plight with Harley. I had an IBD dog as well.....it was the most difficult time.....many ups and downs....sleepless nights....and MONEY...lots and lots of MONEY.....I spent so many days crying....thinking my pup wouldnt make it to tomorrow....BUT ...he did! IBD can be really nasty...but if you can get it under control...and most do.....life can be normal again.

I was told that Dewey could only eat "novel proteins"...items he had neer eaten before...item his body couldnt recognize and try to destroy. We settled on a prescription kibble....ZD? I think....and the only snack Dewey was allowed was ice cubes......if we stayed on that diet he was fine.....when we ventured into other items....we had problems..

So that is my story.....I am thinking greyt thoughts for your boy...and for you. I hope your journey ends well.....just think of all the good people on this site praying and sending white light......He has no choice but to get better.!!!

Edited by WarmheartedPups

Sherry, thanks for posting pics, he's so handsome, and obviously very well loved. You all remain in our thoughts...I come here everyday for an update and hope he will continue to get well. Like everyone says, there are ups and downs, but he seems to be doing well.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I love seeing those pics with his ears up...... :wub: :wub: Sending more prayers and hugs!!!!! :hope:grouphug :grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest Energy11

He really does look pretty good, especially considering what he's been through!

I think it is just going to take time, and he will get stronger and stronger each day!

He is VERY HANDSOME!! :rolleyes:

Sending love and hugs his way!

Guest PhillyPups

Sher,

Continued :hope for Handsome Harley and :bighug for you.

Keep the tree up as long as you want - I loved my tree. One year I put hearts on it for Valentines Day and eggs for Easter. My son threatened to leave home if I put flags on it for Memorial Day. :lol

Harley looks good. My only experience, and this is to give you hope, is with pred. DonJuan came to me on pred for a snake bite. He was very thin and no muscle tone at all. He was weaned off the pred. I described him as very frail and did not think he would still be here today. Now, 9 months later, he trots around, plays with stuffies, has some butt muscles and I think he is getting fat. He came back, and turned 12 in November.

Continued prayers for Handsome Harley. :hope

Edited by PhillyPups

The dog's age probably should be taken into account when considering weight loss and the ease or difficulty of regaining lost muscle. Spencer was 8 when his troubles started and almost 9 before we had a diagnosis and started budesonide. The weight loss from everything, including his very brief time on pred, drove me crazy. So I don't blame you, Sher, for being concerned about it.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).