Prayers Needed

Guest HappyHarleysMom

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Sherry, I've been thinking about you and Harley so much, and keep sending him "telepafic" (as Lydia would say) thoughts to keep eating and getting better.

Doug and I did work for a vet, so when we asked if we could do subcube fluids at home for several dogs and cats, they allowed it. I would certainly ask. If you are okay with just putting the needle in several places to put the fluids under the skin, they might let you do that. I guess in the vein would be absorbed better, but he probably would need to stay at the hospital for that. If they are aware that finances have to be a consideration at this point, hopefully you could do fluids yourself.

Still praying for you, sweet boy!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Checking in to say, Hi, Harley!! Still thinking & sending good healing thoughts out to you.

Hang in there, Sherry. You're doing everything you can. Here's hoping he comes thru this good as new.

(And you're welcome. I'm glad I could help, at least a little bit.)

Barb, Tick & Mac

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Sorry it's been awhile. Mary, Dr. Martinez is the internist from Atlantic Internal Med, and Dr. Wade is the reg vet. They both say it's more important to get calories in Harley right now, than anything. That means sticking to what he is allowed, which basically are foods he never had before, not more than one new carb or 1 new protein a day. And, Harley changes up every day or two, sometimes every meal, which also makes it difficult. What he is allowed and what he will eat is like being in that carnival game or whatever, "round and round and round she goes, where it stops nobody knows." That's Harley's appetite, because it's never the same out of the choices he has. So, thank you for all the suggestions.

I hope she doesn't mind me saying so, but Robin (Beau's mom) has really helped me out too. She shared her experience of Beau's severe IBD, and told me some things that have really helped, one of which is z/d food, so I went to the vet and got some of it.

Anyway:

We had a bad 24 hours, and on top of it, I had to sleep a couple hours since I started getting punchy. The 2 hours I got in the last few days on top of today, is catching up to me. It's hard for me to relax and allow myself to do it, which if I do sleep it can only be about 2-3 hours anyway because I must get Harley to eat. But, I'm out of my mind with worry when he doesn't eat, because I know it's a race against time now.

Friday night I picked up z/d food and tramadol for the pancreatitis pain. Harley had such a great day eating, and took to the z/d food immediately. By the end of the day, Harley had 4 feedings with a total of about 1300 calories for the day! This was better than Thursday. I was ecstatic. His poop was better and he only was going 2x daily, which meant he was holding the calories longer.

However, after Harley took the tramadol, he stopped eating altogether. And, his morning cow pattie poop went back to runny this afternoon. I spent from 6:30am Sat morning until 8:30pm Sat night trying to fix different things to get Harley to eat every few hours, to no avail.

I don't know if it's a coincidence that the tramadol just knocked him out so much that he wouldn't get up to eat, or if it was just a bad day. Either way, he cannot afford too many bad days at less than 59 pounds.

So, you can understand my devastation when he didn't eat for 24 hours. My nerves are shot. At 8:30pm Sat, my sister stopped by to pick up tickets for a show that she and my brother in law were going to attend with Chuck and I--we had gotten these tickets months ago. Chuck and I cancelled though, because I certainly won't leave Harley after such a bad day of no eating at all.

Lo and behold, he got up to see her, and after she left, he ate a piece of toast and 1 1/2 cups of z/d food. So, I will continue to try and get him to eat through the night. I didn't give him the tramadol yet, and won't until I try sleeping again in the early morning hours. Dr. Wade told me to cut it in half or 1/4 pill. I need to find a balance between helping any pain going on with pancreatitis yet not so much to knock him out so all he wants to do is sleep like today.

UPDATE 11pm, nothing else would do except 2/3 cup white baking potato, but at least he ate it. I will try again in a few hours. He's sleeping now.

In short, she said, we'll blame the bad day on the tramadol, for now.

That's where we are. Sorry I haven't replied for awhile. I'm out of energy and nerves are very frayed right now. I need to work, need to sleep, and overwhelmed that I can't get it all done when I'm too busy trying each food to see which one Har will eat. It's terrible that I am complaining about it though, because I would NOT want the alternative of losing him. So, shut up already, Sherry, right? I'm a mess right now, so I hope you please bare with me.

Thanks for being there for me. I wish I could sit in a big room and hug everyone, because I sure need it.

Thanks for still praying, sending positive thoughts, white lights, anything, for Harley. He needs it, and I am not giving up until Harley gives up.

I'll talk to you later,

love,

Sherry

Guest bigorangedog

Hang in there!! I know the not sleeping really take it out of you, on top of the emotional stuff. It's good that he likes the z/d food! Pain meds always put my Crisco off his food too. Only suggestion is to try different ones until you get one that he tolerates better. Hoping the next 24 hrs are calorie-filled!!

OMG Sherry, it's so good to hear from you! :bighug And please know there's not a one of us with an IBD dog who doesn't understand what you're going through and just how tired you are! So while we may worry when we don't hear anything, please do only whatever you need to take care of yourself and Harley. We'll be here when you need us or feel like updating.

I've only had one experience with Tramadol, with our non-IBD dog Shane. His poop got runny for a day or so, even with his always superb digestion! Hopefully, and with partial pills, Harley will adjust and firm up again.

That's great about the Z/D! (Thank you, Robin!!) :yay I was going to suggest it but assumed that one of those vets already thought of it and ruled it out for some reason. (Sometimes the thought is that prescription food is too bland and won't tempt a dog who isn't eating.) But I think sometimes they don't eat because what they're being offered is too rich for their queasy tummies.

My husband (Skip) just came in the room for a Harley update. He says, "Come on, Harley, I'm pullin' for ya." :heart:goodluck To which I can only add that we're pulling for you too, Sherry! Hope somebody can take a shift for you so you can sleep at least 5 hours at once!

:hope :hope :hope

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Relieved to hear that Harley is doing ok. Really bad days are to be expected when battling an illness like this, especially when adding something like Tramadol. My vet offered it as an option at one point in Sadie's life and explained its zombie-like effects. So it sounds to me like a really good sign that once he shook it he wanted to eat. And it sounds like you're on the right track- figuring out what he likes and feeding that (great that the food from the vet is one of those thing- who knew!!) and trying new things. Timing the Tramadol with your sleep and finding the right dose. See, you're making progress. I'm sorry it's so exhausting. Between the physical demands and the emotion of it all I'm sure you feel like you're on another planet. But, hopefully seeing that things are slowly getting on track helps. Sending lots of hugs for you Sherry and scritches for Harley. April & Kevin

finalsiggy.jpg

yes, it is a roller coaster. No one knows that better than Robin! I am glad that he is eating the z/d, I think (never had to use it) that it is pretty calorie intense, so they get a lot of benefit from eating even a little. Tramadol is a great drug for most dogs, but there are some that have issues with it. It is such a struggle to get them stabilized at the same time you are trying to put weight back on :riphair

hang in there! :candle

I am hoping that there are lots more good days than bad ones, and things will start to even off for you. It is hard when you feel lost that you try so many things and come up against the wall.

Hang in there. There are lots of folks sending you good thoughts.

Wanda, with the DC Racing Kids,

Eric ( DNT Finbarclancy )  6/29/14    Maggie ( DNT Oh Maggie ) 6/29/14

Lorraine ( DC Don't Rainonme ) 3/15/08 - 4/9/20 ---  Suzie ( DC Lazy Susan ) 3/12/06 - 9/4/18 --- Stormy ( DC Major Storm ) 11/29/99 - 1/21/12 ---- Andy ( Andy's Alibi ) 1/23/99 - 12/30/11

Sending more healing thoughts and some plain old fashioned good luck.

:goodluck

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Oh, Sherry....I just hate that you and Harley are going through this.

Please know that you are both in our prayers---and will be till he pulls through!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown