Toby (A Blazing Glory)

Guest falconschild

Guest falconschild

We lost our sweet Toby yesterday. He fought as hard as he could, but osteo is one of those things you can't really win against.

Toby was a bounce who came home with us after we lost our first greyhound, Sly. We went to the adoption kennel, and Toby literally stood on his head to tell us he wanted to be with us. We were told he had originally lived with a family in TN, and that due to changes in their life, they knew it would be in Toby's best interest to come back to the kennel...but that it broke their hearts to have to give him up. On this end of things, I can see why it broke their hearts to let him go. It certainly did ours to have to let him go as well.

Toby loved food. Banana pieces and apple slices were some of his favorite treats. And sushi. Oh, how he loved California rolls. It got to the point where we didn't dare go out for sushi without bringing three or four pieces home for him and for Chewie. He also loved having his chest scratched. It was a daily ritual...Allan or I would be passing his bed to go to another room, and he'd raise his head, give us a long look with those big brown eyes, and lift his front leg to request a chest rub, if you please.

When we moved to an apartment that shared a back yard with my brother's house earlier this year, Toby made friends with my brother's two dogs, Jordan and Shadow. It was sort of like watching the band geek hanging out with the other "normal" kids. They would dash up and down the fence and bark as another dog passed by, and Toby would watch, fascinated. Then, finally, one loud "WOOF!" And he'd look over his shoulder at us, as if he was asking "Did I do it right? Did I?" We always had to laugh and tell him yes, he did it right.

Heather (GreysandMoreGreys) told us his kennel name while he was racing was "Elmer." We used to call him that every now and again, and he'd give us a very amused, perhaps somewhat embarrassed, look. We also called him the Goober-dog because he was so very silly at times. He loved sneaking up on the bed, putting his head on Allan's pillow, and napping next to me. He was endlessly patient. When Merlin, the Siamese mix, joined our family in early November, Toby let him play with his tail, bushwhack his ankles, and chew on his toenails when the kitten was teething. He gently helped teach Merlin cat manners with the mere lift of a lip to say "Cut that out, kid." So many little things that made him up, that made Toby who he was. I know I'm forgetting at least half of them.

Thank you to Heather and the Fishdog Kennels for loving him and spoiling him rotten while he was racing...and thank you to his first mommy and daddy for loving him enough to let him go when you had to. If nothing else, it has been easy to see that Toby's life was filled with love.

We miss you, Goober. And we love you so very much. I wish you could have stayed, but some things are just not to be.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry. I can tell by your tribute that Toby was very sweet and special flowers_red.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

What a wonderful, loving life he had with you. I'm sorry he had you to leave so soon.

Godspeed, Toby.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest fandogs

Run free Toby,

You were loved, and will be remembered for a long, long time.

Watch over your family, and help them dry the tears.Happy memories will do that.

Guest PhillyPups

I am so very sorry for your loss of sweet Toby. He sounds so very special, :bighug to you.

Run with the angels Sweet Toby, you are with the very very best ~

Your tribute was beautiful. Toby was definitely a special guy. I'm sorry sorry he had to leave you. :grouphug

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Toby. He sounds like he was an amazing boy.

Godspeed, sweetie.

:grouphug:f_red

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I'm so sorry :(:grouphug

Toby was such a beautiful hound, yes beautiful even though he was a boy he was just stunning and I'm so glad to know his retirement life was filled with love.

GOD SPEED Toby (Elmer) :angelwings:gh_run:angelwings

and what a chuckle I had reading about you calling him Elmer and him wondering "who in the world spilled that secret" :lol

I am so sorry for your loss. Toby sounds like a very special boy.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

What an exceptional dog he was, and how you loved him!

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Toby.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown