Question About Colors And Cancer

Guest borzoix4

Guest borzoix4

Somewhere out there in the future, there is a brindle girl with my name on her. :) However I have a question.

In some breeds ( Danes and Boxers come to mind) the Brindles are of the cancer numbers, more likely to get cancer. Now realizing that the sighthounds are the oldest of the breeds, and many medical conditions do not apply to them, but still I was wondering,-

Is there a higher incidence of cancer in the Brindle Greyhounds?

Edited by borzoix4

We have had 7 with cancer. Four of them were brindle's of various shades. I would look at their pedigree rather than their color. I think there are just a lot more greyhounds that are brindle than say fawn or cowdoggie. I did have two cowdiggie's with cancer, both were white and fawn.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest PhillyPups

Cancer, sadly enough, in my unmedical opinion, is an equal opportunity disease.

I lost SugarBear, a blue fawn (14.5 year old); TigerPower, a red (10 years old); Zeus, a blue (10 years old) all to cancer. I am now facing our arch-enemy once again with Gremlin, a brindle (12-3/4 years old). I don't think cancer cares about color it will rear. Its ugly head when it does. This is not scientific, just based on my personal journey with greyhounds.

But then my adoptions have never been based on color, just on personality and needs. I can't pick by color, which may be because my sister was the "golden haired child and I was the dark one. :lol

I have been blessed to at least get to double digits with each them.

Edited by PhillyPups

Guest borzoix4

We have had 7 with cancer. Four of them were brindle's of various shades. I would look at their pedigree rather than their color. I think there are just a lot more greyhounds that are brindle than say fawn or cowdoggie. I did have two cowdiggie's with cancer, both were white and fawn.

Thank you for your reply. If however one were adopting a racer, how would one be able to look into the pedigrees to determine genetic suseptability?

Guest borzoix4

Thank you all for your replies. Would you mind putting down if the dog was s/n? There have been studies involving that as well in general with dogs.

Guest PhillyPups

Thank you for your reply. If however one were adopting a racer, how would one be able to look into the pedigrees to determine genetic suseptability?

You can check their pedigrees through Greyhound Breed and Data base. I have gotten lines back to early 1800's, I check for relatives. I am thinking checking for "deficiencies in bloodlines" is similar to checking for conformity, more in the show thought process.

Guest krystolla

I've never heard of brindle dogs being more likely to get cancer, couldn't find even rumors of it online. My google mojo must be off. :)

The only color-cancer-connection I've heard is that white and pale colored dogs (and cats) are more prone to skin cancers because having less pigment gives them less protection from the sun. If brindles are more likely to get cancer in certain breeds, that might be the effect of a particularly popular sire of a certain color rather than a problem with the color itself. Personally, I think lifestyle and diet have more effect on cancer statistics than colors.

So if you find your brindle girl, don't let potential cancer statistics get in your way! Heck, I'd say don't let speed limits get in your way either. :devil

Guest borzoix4

I've never heard of brindle dogs being more likely to get cancer, couldn't find even rumors of it online. My google mojo must be off. :)

The only color-cancer-connection I've heard is that white and pale colored dogs (and cats) are more prone to skin cancers because having less pigment gives them less protection from the sun. If brindles are more likely to get cancer in certain breeds, that might be the effect of a particularly popular sire of a certain color rather than a problem with the color itself. Personally, I think lifestyle and diet have more effect on cancer statistics than colors.

So if you find your brindle girl, don't let potential cancer statistics get in your way! Heck, I'd say don't let speed limits get in your way either. :devil

:angelwings Who me??? Speed??? :gh_bow:gh_run ohhh not me :gh_run LOL

Honestly though on topic, it would not deter me but I would want to be aware of it if nothing else maybe medical prevention and as mentioned- diet modifications with immune supports, etc.

The sad truth is that, according to Dr. Couto, the expert, approximately 1 in 5 NGA hounds will get bone cancer.

I don't know about other forms of cancer, as when I heard Dr. Couto talk, he was talking about bone cancer.

Color has nothing to do with it. Racing or not has nothing to do with it. There has yet to be a concerted effort to determine which lines are more prone to it (at least that I've heard of). Because AKC Greyhounds rarely get bone cancer (no more prone to it than any other breed of dog), they have decided it MUST be genetic since the breeding lines are different for AKC versus NGA hounds.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest borzoix4

The sad truth is that, according to Dr. Couto, the expert, approximately 1 in 5 NGA hounds will get bone cancer.

I don't know about other forms of cancer, as when I heard Dr. Couto talk, he was talking about bone cancer.

Color has nothing to do with it. Racing or not has nothing to do with it. There has yet to be a concerted effort to determine which lines are more prone to it (at least that I've heard of). Because AKC Greyhounds rarely get bone cancer (no more prone to it than any other breed of dog), they have decided it MUST be genetic since the breeding lines are different for AKC versus NGA hounds.

Interesting information. Thank you.

We just heard Dr. Couto speak at the Greyhounds Rock event in October. He mentioned that the Broad Institute at Harvard/MIT is currently looking at the greyhound genome to see if racers with bone cancer have different genes than racers without bone cancer. You can read a summary of their current and future research projects here.

The Broad Institute still needs DNA samples from greyhounds suffering from osteosarcoma, as well as from older, healthy greyhounds.

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

This is an interesting question; makes me wish I'd gone into research. Like others here, I've not heard that certain colors are more prone to cancer except for the connection of white hounds and skin cancer (but than again, I had a black indoor cat who developed skin cancer -- you never know). The argument that cancer , especially osteo in greys, must be genetic could hold true, but I have doubts. It is possible that the stress and strain on muscle and bone in training and racing predisposes the cells to cancer. Or, it could be both hereditary (genetic) and environmental (racing). And here's where I wish that research leads to treatment of all types of cancer and spares us heartbreak.

We just heard Dr. Couto speak at the Greyhounds Rock event in October. He mentioned that the Broad Institute at Harvard/MIT is currently looking at the greyhound genome to see if racers with bone cancer have different genes than racers without bone cancer. You can read a summary of their current and future research projects here.

The Broad Institute still needs DNA samples from greyhounds suffering from osteosarcoma, as well as from older, healthy greyhounds.

Thanks so much for posting that link, it was really interesting to see what is going on.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I have a brindle, a fawn, and a black hound. Black one has thyroid and osteo both and she never raced. And she's only 9... she'll skew all statistics. I really think it's just the (un)lucky chance of a draw.

No matter what, it is horrible. Horrible.

Connie

What an odd question. Would you choose a dog of a different colour if there was a correlation between brindle and cancer? Personally, I'm not sure f that's information I would want to know.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Are we talking backyard breeding or something? No higher incidence of cancer or any other disease in brindle vs. fawn boxers that any of the show-line boxer breeders I know are aware of.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

One brindle, one black, one white/black.

The black and white/black were sisters, two different types of cancer.

And there could be a 'higher' number of brindles with cancer if there are more brindles to begin with. Greyhounds have more brindles and blacks than other colors. So, you would see more cancer in those colors.

I thought I had read that research has increased the odds to something like 1 in 4 or 1 in 3 (25-35%) for NGA hounds. I agree colour has nothing to do with it and am in agreement with genetics being the top cause however I also believe racing does have something to do with it. Research has shown that bone cancer specifically has shown to appear often where a pup has injured/broken their leg in racing/practice. It could be considered coincidence however the numbers seem to indicate this.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest borzoix4

What an odd question. Would you choose a dog of a different colour if there was a correlation between brindle and cancer? Personally, I'm not sure f that's information I would want to know.

With any breed, any color, any sex of a breed, it would be better to have knowledge of a predisposition to something than not is why I am asking. Add that most dogs that have bone cancer its already known that early s/n is one of the causes. Or put it this way- more s/n dogs have bone cancer as well as structural weakness ie growth plate developement,and weight baring bones etc.

Cancer studies can be vague at best but with any general knowledge of a higher incidence- be it color, genetic lines, or even suceptability, I have found awareness as more probable is a wise thing to have.

Are we talking backyard breeding or something? No higher incidence of cancer or any other disease in brindle vs. fawn boxers that any of the show-line boxer breeders I know are aware of.

As far as boxers its hard to say without saying the study of said including the people etc, and no- not a byb. However- the boxer reference was used as an example as I am looking to replies about Greys.

Guest borzoix4

One brindle, one black, one white/black.

The black and white/black were sisters, two different types of cancer.

And there could be a 'higher' number of brindles with cancer if there are more brindles to begin with. Greyhounds have more brindles and blacks than other colors. So, you would see more cancer in those colors.

Exactly why I am asking. If say of 100 greys and of that number there were say 5 brindles in that pack of 100. Then lets say that40 were found to have cancer. And of that 100 original greys that had 5 brindles, and of the colors that had cancer say all 5 brindles were in the 40 group- you would get a ratio of 100% have cancer in that fictitious test group I used for example.

Now- if there were more blacks and more brindles in the breed to start with, that certainly would explain why higher numbers from the get go if the results was just as asque as my fictious example I listed.

I thought I had read that research has increased the odds to something like 1 in 4 or 1 in 3 (25-35%) for NGA hounds. I agree colour has nothing to do with it and am in agreement with genetics being the top cause however I also believe racing does have something to do with it. Research has shown that bone cancer specifically has shown to appear often where a pup has injured/broken their leg in racing/practice. It could be considered coincidence however the numbers seem to indicate this.

Yea but I have a therary on that one all ready. The fact is in looking up the foods fed to racers, they are sponsered by food companies that used Ethoxyquin in the past and also buy from rendering plants that do not have to list if the ethoxyquin was used in the first place.