Bill Has Me A Little Concerned

Guest greybookends

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww, poor Bill! It's no fun getting oldler. Hope's it's only age related changes. Will be waiting to hear what the good Dr. has to say. :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest greybookends

Bill did eat all of his dinner for the past 2 days. So that makes me feel good, but of course we all know that may not be the case for the next 2 days! :rolleyes:

Bill did eat all of his dinner for the past 2 days. So that makes me feel good, but of course we all know that may not be the case for the next 2 days! :rolleyes:

A little off subject, but I love your new siggie! Very clever! I notice that Bill is NOT dreaming about left legs!

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

More good thoughts for Bill. And I love your new siggie too!

Me too! Keep us posted about your sweet boy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest greybookends

We are back from the vet. Without doing any invasive procedures or xrays there is definitely some pain issues in the lumbar/thoracic area of his back. Everything else is just fine. The vet has put him on some Deramax short term and some tramadol. If this works than we will continue the tramadol as needed. If he remains in some pain we will do some xrays and go from there, but we are pretty confident that this fits the symptoms I've been observing.

The vet said to give him the pills with food. I told her I'd do my best. :rolleyes:

Edited by greybookends

The vet said to give him the pills with food. I told her I'd do my best. :rolleyes:

I know Bill has his, er, challenges in this area :P, but I would be very careful not to give the Deramaxx without him having some food first. I would also give a pepcid 15-30 minutes before feeding/giving the meds. The Tramadol you don't really need to worry about, but Deramaxx can cause gastric ulcers and while I've read the safety studies and the risk seems low, my oncologist is trying with all of her might to convince me otherwise based on her own experiences with patients. So my thinking is better safe than sorry.

Glad it doesn't appear to be anything major. Hope Bill is feeling better in no time!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Both our dogs have back issues. Acupuncture/chiropractic treatments every 2 to 6 weeks have kept them going quite well. One has lumbo-sacral stenosis (LS) and has managed really well for two whole years, no meds required. (LS is basically a progressive narrowing of the place where the nerves run in the lumbosacral area, thus pinching the nerve.) The internist recommends treatment with adequan, rather than depo medrol, when it has progressed enough to need that kind of intervention, which it will inevitably. The other dog had a racing injury, a dropped gracilis muscle in his right thigh. Now the left hip is dropping, probably in compensation, four years later! He has had problems all along, but we didn't know what it was until the left hip visibly dropped. Meanwhile, the a/c treatments got him through the past two years. He is starting now to need tramadol and a muscle relaxer (methocarbamol).

Acupuncture and/or chiropractic -- we have both done at the same appointment -- are not entirely cheap. But they can keep a dog going years beyond what medicine alone can do. Not telling you what to do :blush , just sharing our experiences for what they're worth.

There's a simple test for LS that involves the vet just pressing gently on the back and seeing if the dog's back end sinks in response. (See vet Suzanne Stack's stuff about it on the internet.) Did your vet do that? In any case, best of luck to you and Bill. And, oh yeah, I think "concerned" owners are the best!

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest greybookends

There's a simple test for LS that involves the vet just pressing gently on the back and seeing if the dog's back end sinks in response. (See vet Suzanne Stack's stuff about it on the internet.) Did your vet do that? In any case, best of luck to you and Bill. And, oh yeah, I think "concerned" owners are the best!

She did this and the only place he reacted was in the Thoracic/lumbar area.

Sounds like a bit of a back injury....especially with the sensitivity to touch. So scary when they are old.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest greybookends

I hope the meds fix Bill up! Maybe if you gave them in his special treat? You know, what he had for his birthday :sick

:lol

If he's lucky I will order him some for Christmas.

Has he had an ultrasound? My Brindle yelped once in a while when she jumped off the bed or sofa. Unfortunately, she had cancer.

We will try this first. If we need to proceed further we will.

hopefully this is just arthurrightous and he will now just have more to blog about- spitting out pills.

i have never tried hiding a pill, i just open the mouth and slide it down their throat :jaw . greyhounds are the easiest dogs to pill since their neck/throat are the same size. i remember the days when heart worm preventative was given daily and i dealt w/ an addisonian dog for 10 years~ 4 pills, 2xs a day!!

Tramadol taste really bad so if Bill gets a taste of it with his food he may decide he doesn't want that food anymore. That happened with both Toby and Sugar. With Toby we started getting him to eat and then just putting the pill down his throat. He hated it but at least he was eating.

Hugs to Bill! Hope he feels better soon.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge