Ever Remove Stitches Yourself?

Tracey

I'm not going to do it, but I've seen stitches removed before; it always looks pretty simple. I keep staring at Reggie's stitches (on his shoulder), which were good to come out as of 3 days ago. We don't have an appointment to get them out for 3 more days. So in the meantime I keep looking at them and thinking 'I bet I could do this myself.' I won't, but just wondered if anyone else has?

Update:

I have removed all but one. Thankfully I had muzzled Reggie because he snapped when I was looking at it to see where to cut. It seems that the stitch is embedded in a scab. I thought maybe if I could soften the area up it would be easier to remove the stitch, so I put some Neosporin on it. I thought I'd try again on that one in a few hours. Any additional advice for difficult stitches is welcomed!

Final update:

I tried again last night and Reggie did not want to let me near the last stitch on his shoulder at all. I asked Jenn (GiJenn) if maybe it wasn't "ripe" yet and I should wait, but she said it might get harder with time, not easier. So I had DH restrain him and was able to get the last stitch out of his shoulder. He also had two under his eye that I was saving for last; given their location I was kind of nervous about removing them. But as you all said, easy peasy! Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I know it's silly, but I kind of feel like I learned a new skill. :lol

Edited by Tracey

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

It's easy! Get yourself a pair of tweezers and a pair of hair scissors with pointy ends. Then just hold up one side and clip, use the tweezers to gently tug the stitch out. :) Go ahead, you can do it.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

It's easy! Get yourself a pair of tweezers and a pair of hair scissors with pointy ends. Then just hold up one side and clip, use the tweezers to gently tug the stitch out. :) Go ahead, you can do it.

Yep! We removed Em's spay stiches the day she came home. Super easy, and less stressful for all involved than going to the vet.

Yep, I have, but I was trained as an animal nurse (when that's what we were called :lol).

The trick is to cut each stitch as near to the skin as possible on one side of the wound, before you pull it out, because you don't want to be dragging a lot of the outside part of the stitch inside the wound as you remove it. And if the wound looks at all puffy, or pink, or damp, don't do it. I have seen an apparently healed wound 'unzip' as soon as the stitches were taken out. It is very rare, but it can happen. ;)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Yep. Do it whenever I need to, even though our vet doesn't charge extra for it. Just means I don't have to schedule another visit for something so simple.

I was worried the first time, but it really is easy.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest cyndiandsaoirse

Yes- it's really easy on greys, because they are so good about being worked on. Have him lay down on his bed or the rug, and give him a good tummy rub. Go slowly, you're not going to hurt him unless the skin is attached. You can tell as you start to pull- if it isn't coming out very easily, try it from the other side. Be patient, and give him lots of rubs and "good boys". You'll be surprised how quickly you can do it.

Another vote for doing it if you're sure the wound is healed. Like someone else said, easy peasy. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Uhm, yeah, and it's as simple as it looks!

And I'd do it again!

When I was about 13, I took stitches out of my horse's jaw. It was WAY easier than trying to hold him for the vet, who he was TERRIFIED of. Went nuts just seeing the vet's truck!

Took about 30 seconds total.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yes, have removed them from dogs and horses. It really is as easy as Beth indicated. Sometimes, a stitch may feel caught - it's just the fact that there is a small scab or whatever.Just give it a little stronger tug. It really does not bother the critters at all!!

Edited by Pepsi2004
pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

Yep, I don't think I've ever taken one back to have stitches removed. Even removed stitches from Kevin's head!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Most detinitely! A lot in humans, kids included, when I worked ER and Fast Trak, and also at the vet in Florida. EASY really! I have also removed staples.

Update:

I have removed all but one. Thankfully I had muzzled Reggie because he snapped when I was looking at it to see where to cut. It seems that the stitch is embedded in a scab. I thought maybe if I could soften the area up it would be easier to remove the stitch, so I put some Neosporin on it. I thought I'd try again on that one in a few hours. Any additional advice for difficult stitches is welcomed!

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

That's the trick, once the scab is softened you'll be able to remove the stitch. It may pull a little but shouldn't be bad.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Swifthounds

Removed a lot of stitches in my time, both on my own animals and others. Nothing to it - except the time I had to remove stitches from the inside of a finger on my right hand (and I'm right handed) - that one was tricky!

Final update: I tried again last night and Reggie did not want to let me near the last stitch on his shoulder at all. I asked Jenn (GiJenn) if maybe it wasn't "ripe" yet and I should wait, but she said it might get harder with time, not easier. So I had DH restrain him and was able to get the last stitch out of his shoulder. He also had two under his eye that I was saving for last; given their location I was kind of nervous about removing them. But as you all said, easy peasy! Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I know it's silly, but I kind of feel like I learned a new skill. :lol