Haley 6/27/1997 - 11/9/2011

Guest KennelMom

Guest KennelMom

Last October I was told Haley had about 6 weeks to live. I was determined to cherish every day for the gift that it was. Those 6 weeks stretched into a 6 months and then to a year. And every day was great. Until just last week Haley was still doing play bows and zoomies around the yard.

Tonight she lost her long battle with hemangiosarcoma and she peacefully left for the Bridge in my arms. Ken tried to tell me that losing your first greyhound is unlike any other loss. And even though I had a year to "prepare" there's no way I could have known what this feeling would be like. It feels absolutely surreal not to have her in the house. A year ago, I wrote a Remembrance post before she passed because I knew couldn't do it once she was gone. Today is really no different.

I miss you so much, my sweet Haley-monster. You are forever in my heart. :beatheart

5135197609_5336bb217d.jpg

Forever on my leg...

5610716227_01c3dcccf5.jpg

Best. dog. ever. :kiss2

6230635968_20c6b01d66.jpg

I'm not sure how my heart is bearing the loss of you, Stella, Prajna and Scout all in 9 weeks. :candle:cry1 Hopefully you will all find each other at the Bridge....I love you all

**********************Original Post 10/31/2010*************************

Eight years ago, the day I moved in to my first roommate-less apartment, I drove the adoption kennel at Greyhound Friends of NC to pick up my first greyhound. A handsome 1.5 year old, fresh off the track white and brindle boy. Exactly what I wanted. I came home that day with a 4.5 year old, bounced, white and black female. Exactly the opposite of what I wanted, but exactly what I needed.

Once I brought Haley home, she promptly laid down on a bed and practically never got up again. I joke that she has always taken retirement very seriously. She never played with toys. She was never overtly affectionate. She never liked to go for walks. She never ran with the other dogs at playgroup. She never seemed to care when I left or when I came home. But as a single gal in my own apartment for the first time, it was me and Haley against the world. I would wake up with her next to me. I'd toss her my pizza crusts. Life was good.

She taught me that owning a dog isn't about what the dog can do for me...it's a partnership, with the human and dog bringing their own personalities, desires and needs to the relationship. That has proved to be a most valuable lesson, as we've dealt with spooks and aggressive dogs and all sorts of greyhounds with "issues" over the years.

Her pictures caught Ken's eye when he was just some guy on Greytalk and I was just that girl with the white and black and brindle girls. When we got married and Ken's pack became one with my pack, Haley took it all in stride. She always loved men and she took to Ken right away. As the pack grew, she came out of her shell more and more...very at home in a pack environment. And life moves merrily along.....

Friday she had an "off" day...She didn't want to do first turn out...or second. She didn't want to eat breakfast, but happily took a big biscuit treat. That wasn't terribly unusual, but my mommy radar was signaling me and I knew something wasn't right. I called the vet to make an appointment for Monday just to have her checked out. Yesterday morning, she started having some distress and was looking a little bloated in her belly. Our vet takes emergency walk-ins on Saturday mornings so I rushed her there and xrays showed a rather dubious looking mass near her spleen. We were referred to the emergency clinic so they could page the internist for an emergency ultrasound, which confirmed the worse: hemangiosarcoma. With surgery only giving us another three months, Ken and I opted to bring my girl home and spoil her rotten until its time to say goodbye.

I don't know how much time I have with Haley, but I know it isn't much. Ironically, I'd already made an appointment to have her portrait (and Hanna and Quilty) tattoo'd on me next weekend. I wasn't planning on it being a memorial piece. But, I've been looking through pictures for the last couple weeks trying to decide which one I was going to use. It's been bittersweet to look back through eight years of pictures....so many dogs that have come and gone. So many memories. Through it all, Haley was there. I'm not sure how life will be without her. Though she's never been the most demanding dog, she has always been my rock. My constant. I've never written a post like this before a dog has passed. But it felt right this time. To get all this out now so I can spend whatever time we have left being fully present in each moment, without the lingering thought of having to write this post. I want to get out all the sadness (I HATE CANCER!) and have only happiness and peace with her for the rest of our time together. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers, that, when the time comes, she may have a peaceful journey from this world to the next....

5110490980_a634d3d77f_z.jpg

Edited by KennelMom

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, Haley...it seems like she's been part of GT forever. I'm so very sorry. :grouphug

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

:(

Oh no, I'm sorry Heather. Enjoy the time you have left!

Guest barkdogs

I am so sorry. I love what you posted about our relationships with dogs being a partnership, not simply them being there for us. So true. Dogs are great friends when one gives them the opportunity.

Best to you and Haley. Please give her a scritch from me.

I am so sorry Heather. So unfair.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest PiagetsMom

Hoping your days together are filled with much love and happiness......and peace. I'll keep you and your girl Haley in my thoughts and prayers :grouphug

Heather and Ken, my heart goes out to you. Give your girl a kiss from me and tell her how beautiful she is, OK?

Gentle journey to you, sweet Haley.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so so sorry for your bad news. I hope you have some time yet for her to enjoy being spoiled.

(On a side note, I did enjoy learning how you got your first greyhound ... and I never knew you met your husband through GT, wow!)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest mountain4greys

Enjoy every last second you have with her, and I know you will. I'd still get the tattoo also. I'm very sorry you're going though this.

Guest PhillyPups

Heather, I so hate reading this. This is the hardest part of our journey. May your momments be filled with love and joy. You will be in my thoughts and prayers for many happy moments.

:bighug to you, Ken and Haley.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Heather and Ken, I'm so sorry to hear.

Haley started you on an amazing path of life. I can't imagine not having you involved with these hounds and it's all due to Haley and the type of hound she is.

She really was the hound for you and she granted you and all of us with so many gifts.

Embrace the next days/weeks and I know you will.

:grouphug to all of you. I'm always here if you need me.

What a beautiful tribute to your most special girlie. :cry1 May her remaining days be filled with comfort and tons of love, and sending prayers for a gentle transition when she's ready to move on. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

What a beautiful girl she is standing there with the sun in her face. She just looks like a lady with all of the wisdom of the ages.

I am so sorry her time her is short but she will leave you knowing she was so very much loved.

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy