Joe Is Scheduled For Amputation Tomorrow At 10 Am

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just checking one more time for an update before I head home. I hope everything went fine and Jane is just busy tending to her recovering pup. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

*drumming finngers*

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest bigorangedog

Thanks for the update. I know exactly how she feels. She's in the best hands at OSU, but still sending tons of good thoughts for both of them.

Joe is doing fine. I just got home about a half hour ago. I took care of my two whipador littermates and called my friend who has been letting them out every few hours.

Joe had his CT (part of a research study so no charge to me) at about 9 am. I forgot to ask but since I didn't hear otherwise, I assume they did the fine needle aspirate and confirmed osteo. He went into surgery about 10:15. After that he went to recovery and was moved to the Intensive Care Unit at about 3:00. I stayed until they had him all settled and went back to see him at about 4:00. He was sleeping under a sterile blanket "enjoying" all the drugs. Dr. Couto uses a combination (different than other dogs) that keeps them quite sedated. Most greyhounds are too sensitive to handle the stress so he finds that they recover better if they are in "la la land".

I went to see him now so I could see him for the first time without his leg when he was unaware of me. I was afraid I would start to cry and I didn't want to upset him.

I had someone come to update me every hour. Joe is a favorite with the staff there. They see him often because he is a blood donor and he always manages to mooch some neck rubs and a treat from everyone he sees. Cristina (the vet who runs the blood center) stayed with me for a half hour several times. The OSU Vet School employs a full time social worker to help the vets and their patient's owners through tough times. She came and spoke with me for some time. It helped talking about my fears, especially the likelihood of losing all 3 of my dogs within the next year. Twister and Shelby will be 14 in two weeks.

Joe will be at OSU for 3 to 4 days. I will go into see him and bring him some home cooked food.

Well, once again, I have written a book. Thank you all for being there for me.

Jane

p.s. I didn't see Suzy (packmom) there today. I heard that she got bad news yesterday but didn't hear what the final diagnosis was. I am afraid it was liver cancer or hemangiosarcoma.

I'm so glad your boy is resting comfortably. Time for you to breath....

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest ChasesMum

how wonderful! and what a great place to be a part of! Enjoy la-la-land Joe!! :)

I wish our vets had consulted with OSU 3 1/2 yrs ago when George got his diagnosis. they did his amp and sent him home the same day on far too low a dose of tramadol. i informed them that if there every is a next time with ANY dog to please transfer them direct to the emerg vet at closing, for ICU care overnight at the very least. 3-4 days in hospital sounds far more appropriate!!

Jane,

I am glad the surgery went well and I hope he is back home in a few days so you can start giving him all his well deserved GT hugs. I agree about the multiple days in ICU, it costs money but it's worth it.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thank you for the update, rest well Joe and rest up mom, you'll need all your strength to spoil that boy when he comes home

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thank you for the update--I was thinking of you both all day--you must be so tired. You both need a good night's rest. Hopefully he'll eat for you tomorrow--I'm sure you'll make something yummy! It's so wonderful that the staff is so supportive---can't find that anywhere but OSU ;)

Good to know he's resting comfortably. Try and get some rest yourself.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Glad to hear everything went well Jane. Please, let me know if you need to talk. You are such a great support to all the families that go to OSU, I want you to know that we're here for you too. :bighug

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

p.s. I didn't see Suzy (packmom) there today. I heard that she got bad news yesterday but didn't hear what the final diagnosis was. I am afraid it was liver cancer or hemangiosarcoma.

Jane, glad to hear Joe is through the surgery and resting. Now comes the hard 2 weeks for you. Arwen has hemangiosarcoma and is scheduled for surgery on Friday since the prefered surgeon is out until then. Pending opinion of Dr. C. I'm still waiting to hear from him. Can't believe it. It has been only 1 month since we lost Saturn to the same thing!

Glad Joe came through surgery well. Hope the next week or two goes smoothly for you guys.

Can't believe it. It has been only 1 month since we lost Saturn to the same thing!

I'm so sorry. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thank You for the update, and we are sending more prayers for a uneventful recovery... :hope:grouphug :grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest Lillysmom

Jane, you and Joe have been in my thoughts and heart since your e-mail last night. I'm so glad to hear that he came through surgery well. Please know that Steve and I are sending all our love to you and Joe. We both love you so much. If you need anything, please let me know.

When you're at the hospital again, please have Cristina or Dr. Couto give you a hug for me.