Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Guest vahoundlover

Wonderful news about Gracy! :yay

I am so sorry to hear about Gypsy. I hate this disease and all it robs us of. :(

Neyla, Arathorn and Charlie, keep fighting babies!! I keep you in my prayers

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Roselle, I would think 3 walks a day of 10-15 minutes is not all that bad. I don't recall, how old is Gracy? Does she have any arthritis at all? We no longer walk Charlie as we live in the country and have a large fenced area for him. He is out there at times easily for 30-40 minutes multiple times a day running around and has no shown no ill effects. I am always watching his one leg though as one can never be too careful. He's also one of those Greys who is built like a tank so perhaps that helps.

Lois, that is excellent to hear about Arathorn! Sounds like he is doing okay considering everything. I am very happy to hear this! Keep it up Arathorn.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Roselle, so glad to hear that Gracy is doing better. I wonder about consulting with a chiropractor/acupuncturist? I still wonder if she didn't hurt her back somehow, maybe over time using only the one back leg, or maybe she just overdid it one time, but perhaps an adjustment would help her. I was a little scared the first time I tried an adjustment with Neyla, but it's actually quite gentle and a good chiropractor will also include some massage and stretching if needed. Mine actually comes to my home, and she was greata bout teaching me how to determine if there were areas where Neyla would benefit from massage and how to do it. They should also be able to evaluate her to determine if she could benefit from it without actually proceeding if you don't want to. Just a thought.

Hope, thank you so much for all of your support. I've noticed how often you come in here to cheer us on ;) and I appreciate it. :)

Lois, 4 1/2 months, that is great news!! :yay

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We're back from our ultrasound. No tumors, stones, or apparent damage to her organs so that's good. No new info to figure out how to treat this either. We ran more blood work and another u/a and my vet will call with results tomorrow. In the meantime, we re continuing Baytril on the off chance it's working and reducing Neyla's deramaxx dosage again in case it's causing these issues. :goodluck that she can tolerate the lower dose.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest roselle

We're back from our ultrasound. No tumors, stones, or apparent damage to her organs so that's good. No new info to figure out how to treat this either. We ran more blood work and another u/a and my vet will call with results tomorrow. In the meantime, we re continuing Baytril on the off chance it's working and reducing Neyla's deramaxx dosage again in case it's causing these issues. :goodluck that she can tolerate the lower dose.

I don't think I ever mentioned this. Ever since Gracy's amp she can't hold peepee very long. Before this she never had an accident now she has accidents all the time. Right after the amputation she would pee in front of the door when I was right behind her reaching for the door knob. Does this sound like Neyla?

Our situation is a little different. Neyla only has accidents when she's sleeping, not when she's awake. I am pretty sure I've heard of dogs becoming incontinent from amps though - maybe your vet can give you Proin to help her? Howis Gracy doing tonight, any better?

Guest roselle

Gracy is pretty lethargic, not eating either she stayed in bed all day. she is able to stand up now with lots of encouragement, but I think it hurts her. A few little cries, but nothing like Sunday night. My poor baby looks at me with her huge bright eyes and my he art sinks. I 'm glade glade the u.s. went ok, but no answers for you either. One day at a time, right. :rollin

I haven't been posting lately because I have been struggling with some health issues myself. My chronic illness decided to flare up but I am finally feeling a bit better.

Joey is doing very well. He had his last monthly checkup 2 1/2 weeks ago. His blood count had dropped so they stopped his oral chemo treatments for a week to give him a chance to recover. He started back on the Palladia, cytoxan and artemisinin on Thanksgiving day. He has had some stomach upset and some diarrhea so he also gets pepcid, pepto-bismol, metronidazole and reglan at various times.

More importantly, Joey has a new toy! It is a corduroy bunny that grunts AND squeaks AND hits him in the head when he shakes it. He just loves it. It is so fun to see him sneak up on it, pounce on it, squeak it, shake it, and then toss it in the air and repeat the whole process. He is my silly goofy boy and I love him for it.

Jane

Guest roselle

I haven't been posting lately because I have been struggling with some health issues myself. My chronic illness decided to flare up but I am finally feeling a bit better.

Joey is doing very well. He had his last monthly checkup 2 1/2 weeks ago. His blood count had dropped so they stopped his oral chemo treatments for a week to give him a chance to recover. He started back on the Palladia, cytoxan and artemisinin on Thanksgiving day. He has had some stomach upset and some diarrhea so he also gets pepcid, pepto-bismol, metronidazole and reglan at various times.

More importantly, Joey has a new toy! It is a corduroy bunny that grunts AND squeaks AND hits him in the head when he shakes it. He just loves it. It is so fun to see him sneak up on it, pounce on it, squeak it, shake it, and then toss it in the air and repeat the whole process. He is my silly goofy boy and I love him for it.

Jane

Hope you stay well, your boy sounds like a puppy. We could never get Gracy to play with toys. She raced until she was 5. Our lab triedto show her how but she looked at him like he was crazy.

Jen, that is greyt news!!! Way to go Neyla, you're one tough girl.

I don't think I ever mentioned this. Ever since Gracy's amp she can't hold peepee very long. Before this she never had an accident now she has accidents all the time. Right after the amputation she would pee in front of the door when I was right behind her reaching for the door knob. Does this sound like Neyla?

Roselle, we have not had this issue with Charlie. He can hold it forever. I hope Gracy improves and whatever the pain is, it goes away.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Jane, thanks for checking in. So glad to her that Joe is doing well! If you don't mind, want to share where you got this special bunny? I have a special girl who hasn't gotten a new toy in a while, although that may be because ever since her lesion started progressing she wants to play with only one toy, our latest hedgehog. It's so funny b/c we have equally large and grunty toys, but she wants that one. She will even pick another toy b/c she doesn't see that one, but when she notices it, she drops the current one and goes right for the hedgehog. :dunno:P

Roselle, I hope Gracy is doing better this morning. :goodluck

Jane, thanks for checking in. So glad to her that Joe is doing well! If you don't mind, want to share where you got this special bunny? I have a special girl who hasn't gotten a new toy in a while, although that may be because ever since her lesion started progressing she wants to play with only one toy, our latest hedgehog. It's so funny b/c we have equally large and grunty toys, but she wants that one. She will even pick another toy b/c she doesn't see that one, but when she notices it, she drops the current one and goes right for the hedgehog. :dunno:P

Roselle, I hope Gracy is doing better this morning. :goodluck

I got it at a locally owned pet store called Pet People. Of course I threw away the tags so I can't even tell you who made it. It cost about $20.00. If you want, I can call them and have them tell me who made it or buy one for you and ship it. It only comes in pink but that shouldn't be a problem for your girl. Joe didn't seem to mind that it wasn't a manly color. Joe also chooses a favorite toy. Once he kills them and disembowels them they are no longer any fun. This is a regular occurrence so when I find a toy that has all of his favorite things ( a honker or a grunter, multiple squeakers and good "whap factor") I buy it.

Jane

Jane, thank you so much for offering, but no need to get one for us. I just thought I'd check it out if I could find it online.

We got our blood work results yesterday. Neyla's creatinine is up again from 2.0 to 2.6 and her BUN is increased as well. This is all very bad news for us - we won't be able to repeat the pamidronate treatment and my vet wants me to reduce Neyla's Deramaxx dosage in case that may be causing or contributing to these issues, but she's been more painful the last few days so I can't see how we're going to do that. I had hoped we'd have enough benefit left from the pamidronate to at least get the Deramaxx down temporarily and see if we saw any improvement, but either the pamidronate is already wearing off or the extra trips outside to potty are making her more painful. :(

The vet suggested modifying her diet to reduce stress on the kidneys so I'm going to start researching that further today, but I think we are being backed into a corner here. :(

Guest roselle

Oh Jen I am so sorry. You have a very complicated situation. What is with all this bad news in such a short period of time. Now you're forced to wait and see so use this time to repair your own body. Try to do some mind centering. Remind yourself how much you have helped her and how far you have come. Try to regroup so that you are ready for whatever is next. Feed your sole and rest your body. I sound like the Guru I'm not. A big wind of hope and renewed strength coming your way

Hugs, Roselle and Gracy Who is getting better :yinyang

Guest racergirl435

Jen, I am sending big hugs to you and Neyla. She and you have been so inspirational. Know that all of you who have chosed to fight this horrible disease are heroes to the hounds who love you so much. Whatever decision you make will be the right one.

Jen, I'm sorry to hear about the blood tests. I don't have any advice other than suggesting going on a 'kidney diet'. Please give Neyla a hug from me.

Neyla's doing okay. I haven't been updating b/c we're in a wait and see sort of situation - we're increasing her Gabapentin and Tramadol again and if they don't work, then I think I'm looking at letting her go before Christmas. I did start her on a supplement my vet recommended to help reduce the load on her kidneys and I'm still researching our diet options, but it's all moot if we can't get her pain under control with the increase in meds.

I just had the biggest scare to boot. Came home and she actually seemed like she might be a bit better. She started playing, and then tripped on a wire from my laptop and stumbled face first into the crate. :( I thought for sure we were going to the ER with a broken leg, but she seems to be okay. I'm expecting she'll be more painful in a bit though. :(

Thanks for all of the good wishes and for checking in on her. Hope everyone else's pups are doing well.

Shannon, I hope your surgery went well.

Guest azlorenz

I am doing really well but please forgive my one finger typing :blink:

Know that you and Neyla are the focus of our prayers tonight. As we've all said before osteo sucks.

Guest 4rooers

Neyla's doing okay. I haven't been updating b/c we're in a wait and see sort of situation - we're increasing her Gabapentin and Tramadol again and if they don't work, then I think I'm looking at letting her go before Christmas. I did start her on a supplement my vet recommended to help reduce the load on her kidneys and I'm still researching our diet options, but it's all moot if we can't get her pain under control with the increase in meds.

I just had the biggest scare to boot. Came home and she actually seemed like she might be a bit better. She started playing, and then tripped on a wire from my laptop and stumbled face first into the crate. :( I thought for sure we were going to the ER with a broken leg, but she seems to be okay. I'm expecting she'll be more painful in a bit though. :(

Thanks for all of the good wishes and for checking in on her. Hope everyone else's pups are doing well.

Prayers going up for you both. Sweet Neyla, praying your pain eases up, And Jen, praying for strength for you in the coming weeks. I hate, hate, hate cancer.

Kim

Well I will say she's in good spirits tonight despite the crash into the crate. She's painful, but she seems to have more spring in her step anyway. :dunno Tiny little tenative glimmer of hope. :hope

Shannon, glad you're recovering well. Hope you heal quickly.

:grouphug

Just popping in to see how all the pups are doing and to let you know I am thinking of you

Jen - sending a cyber smooch for Neyla

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.