Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

I think Neyla's leg is swollen, and today she didn't want to eat breakfast again, and there was some blood on her stool. :( I am debating whether to take her in for an x-ray or not. I want to b/c I feel it will give me confirmation about the decision I need to make, but I also think it's selfish to put her through it. :cry1

Jen, you know how I feel about Neyla, like many others, our hearts are breaking as I am sure yours is too. I really hope that you do have more time with her but also I know you want to do what right for her.

Toby did better last night and today. Perhaps we have enough painkillers in his system now that he is comfortable. I'm hoping he'll sleep through the night again tonight, so that we all can get some more rest. I suppose like a golfer, we'll "play it as it lays." Now if we can just encourage him to eat more, we'll be even better off. Toby's always been a chow hound extraordinaire...for him to be off his food tells me how uncomfortable he was. He's eating some food, but nowhere near as much as in the past, and with less gusto.

Rox, I am glad Toby is doing a little better. We will keep both of you in out thoughts.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Toby did better last night and today. Perhaps we have enough painkillers in his system now that he is comfortable. I'm hoping he'll sleep through the night again tonight, so that we all can get some more rest. I suppose like a golfer, we'll "play it as it lays." Now if we can just encourage him to eat more, we'll be even better off. Toby's always been a chow hound extraordinaire...for him to be off his food tells me how uncomfortable he was. He's eating some food, but nowhere near as much as in the past, and with less gusto.

[/quote

i cooked rivie chicken breasts and then processed them in the food processor (which she LOVED and ate with relish!). we thought the os caused some pain in her jaw or something so it was hard for her to chew -- you might try something along this line.

my thoughts are with all of you -- hugs - teri

Glad to hear Toby is doing better! :yay

Neyla was definitely feeling nauseous from teh Tylenol 3 so I started to cook her food (she normally eats raw) and that seemed to do the trick. She's off the Tylenol 3 now so last night I was able to do part raw, part cooked.

Well we had a rough day or two, realized the night before last that her entire leg was really bruised, then woke up yesterday to edema in her bad leg. We did end up getting an x-ray. The vet said her lesion has progressed, but we're still not to the point that we'd be at risk of fracture and certainly not at the point where it would cause her swelling. The oncoloogist wanted me to rush her in for an exam and a clotting profile, but thank god for my regular vet said it was totally reasonable that I wanted to wait it out and see how she was today. So I did decide to wait and did arnica gel and warm compresses throughout the day yesterday.

This morning the bruising is almost gone, she has only a tiny bit of edema left in her wrist, and she is more active and less painful. :yay

I am having a hard time deciding what's right for her. I would have no doubt whatsoever that we should keep fighting - her personality is still the same, she's bright-eyed, my vet and I agree that her pain management is quite good overall. The only issue is that her back legs are very tired from compensating for her front leg so she's not up for a lot of walking and stairs are a real struggle (I'm carrying her). But we have one sort of oddball pain option left that I could try and hope that more pain relief overall would mean less effort for her back legs, I just have no idea if it will work or how long it might take to kick in, or what else it might do (it's actually a tricyclic anti-depressant that has also been used off label for chronic pain and as an alternative to proin, which might also help her incontinence issues although we have them pretty well managed now).

I'm sorry I'm going on and on, I know that only I can make this decision, I'm sort of thinking out loud I guess. I just wish with all my might I didn't have stairs and instead had a yard. Neyla has definitely not taken to my little pee pad for her on our deck either. I should probably work harder to get her using that.

Blah. Sorry for the mouth diarrhea. :puke:P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Glad to hear Toby is doing better! :yay

Neyla was definitely feeling nauseous from teh Tylenol 3 so I started to cook her food (she normally eats raw) and that seemed to do the trick. She's off the Tylenol 3 now so last night I was able to do part raw, part cooked.

Well we had a rough day or two, realized the night before last that her entire leg was really bruised, then woke up yesterday to edema in her bad leg. We did end up getting an x-ray. The vet said her lesion has progressed, but we're still not to the point that we'd be at risk of fracture and certainly not at the point where it would cause her swelling. The oncoloogist wanted me to rush her in for an exam and a clotting profile, but thank god for my regular vet said it was totally reasonable that I wanted to wait it out and see how she was today. So I did decide to wait and did arnica gel and warm compresses throughout the day yesterday.

This morning the bruising is almost gone, she has only a tiny bit of edema left in her wrist, and she is more active and less painful. :yay

I am having a hard time deciding what's right for her. I would have no doubt whatsoever that we should keep fighting - her personality is still the same, she's bright-eyed, my vet and I agree that her pain management is quite good overall. The only issue is that her back legs are very tired from compensating for her front leg so she's not up for a lot of walking and stairs are a real struggle (I'm carrying her). But we have one sort of oddball pain option left that I could try and hope that more pain relief overall would mean less effort for her back legs, I just have no idea if it will work or how long it might take to kick in, or what else it might do (it's actually a tricyclic anti-depressant that has also been used off label for chronic pain and as an alternative to proin, which might also help her incontinence issues although we have them pretty well managed now).

I'm sorry I'm going on and on, I know that only I can make this decision, I'm sort of thinking out loud I guess. I just wish with all my might I didn't have stairs and instead had a yard. Neyla has definitely not taken to my little pee pad for her on our deck either. I should probably work harder to get her using that.

Blah. Sorry for the mouth diarrhea. :puke:P

you know there is never a need to appologize here! it is wonderful to have an outlet with understanding friends that are supportive and understanding -- we think whatever you think and feel free to go off - we all have at one time or another -- hugs to you and neyla - we all think you're both just AWESOME!

Guest azlorenz

Jen, that is what we are all here for. To listen to each other's diarrhea of the mouth. Hugs to both you and Neyla. Like Teri said, you are doing awesome.

Guest ChasesMum

heh verbal diarrhea :lol

ok my friend Sue might stop by. Her girl was just diagnosed with Lymphoma and she was wanting to do chemo and had lots of questions. OF COURSE I refered her to my support group on gt! :wub: I am giving her the OSU info to contact, who was it on GT that helps get Canadians the chemo drugs?? can anyone tell me?

I am glad Neyla's leg is better, edema is nasty and really really hampers them. Chase's poor leg was so swollen and sore, I really wish I had been able to get rid of the swelling, maybe we could have extended things. le sigh.

Karen, I've heard that OSU is "closed" for the holiday so you might want to let Sue know that it may be harder to reach them right now. Sorry, I don't know about the Canadian/chemo drug issue.

Well I guess I should tell you guys...I kept starting to type things yesterday and then deleting them - too emotional and not ready to make it official, which sharing it with GT seems to do. Anyway, I've decided to let Neyla go this week. I suppose there's a miniscule chance that could change, but I don't think so. I'm really struggling with this, and I literally do not know how I'm going to be able to follow through.

I'm having a hard time b/c she's still doing okay, the light is still her in her eyes, she likes getting attention and snuggling with me, she's able to rest comfortably and take short walks, but yesterday morning I watched videos from earlier this year of her playing and it was quite obvious that she's no longer able to do all of the things that she loves. The dog in those videos was running, spinning, hopping, and playbowing like the silly girl she is. It made me realize that Neyla doesn't even wag much anymore. :( She's also resistant to eating and taking her meds in the AM and her back legs are weak and she's not able to do stairs anymore. I think we could probably at least get through the holiday with good pain management, but I think I would be doing it for myself.

I just don't understand how I am supposed to make the call to my vet when I look over and she's staring at me with her ears up and her eyes bright giving me the "pet me" look. How do I do that?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh Jen... :bighug

Saying I know exactly what you're going through is not helpful, I know. But I do, in an excruciatingly intense way, and my heart goes out to you.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Oh Jen, I am just so sorry. I hate to type this, but making the decision a bit too soon, is much better than making it a bit too late. One is for her, the other is for us-but who can blame us for wanting to keep our hearts intact as long as possible.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

:(:grouphug

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest roselle

Karen, I've heard that OSU is "closed" for the holiday so you might want to let Sue know that it may be harder to reach them right now. Sorry, I don't know about the Canadian/chemo drug issue.

Well I guess I should tell you guys...I kept starting to type things yesterday and then deleting them - too emotional and not ready to make it official, which sharing it with GT seems to do. Anyway, I've decided to let Neyla go this week. I suppose there's a miniscule chance that could change, but I don't think so. I'm really struggling with this, and I literally do not know how I'm going to be able to follow through.

I'm having a hard time b/c she's still doing okay, the light is still her in her eyes, she likes getting attention and snuggling with me, she's able to rest comfortably and take short walks, but yesterday morning I watched videos from earlier this year of her playing and it was quite obvious that she's no longer able to do all of the things that she loves. The dog in those videos was running, spinning, hopping, and playbowing like the silly girl she is. It made me realize that Neyla doesn't even wag much anymore. :( She's also resistant to eating and taking her meds in the AM and her back legs are weak and she's not able to do stairs anymore. I think we could probably at least get through the holiday with good pain management, but I think I would be doing it for myself.

I just don't understand how I am supposed to make the call to my vet when I look over and she's staring at me with her ears up and her eyes bright giving me the "pet me" look. How do I do that?

Dear Jen, I don't know what to say. You and Neyla have been such a strong presence here and so helpful to so many people.Every point you listed about Neyla not being ready must be seen in many of our greys. If you concentrate on level of pain and quality of life and not think of the light in her eyes the decision to help her may come easier. Do you have someone who can make the call to the vet for you and be with you? My heart is breaking for you. Please remember that so many friends here are there for you and hoping you can do this last act of kindness for Neyla. Hugs to you and Neyla

Roselle and Gracy :brokenheart:grouphug:angryfire:weep

I'm sorry you're facing this, Jen. Sending hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Jen :bighug again and again and again

The day we let Argos go, he had shown that he was ready. But that morning, he flew out the back door chasing Guinness and wanting to play. It really threw me for a loop. I hate that you're going through this. Hate with the fire of a thousand suns.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Oh Jen....Hate, Hate, Hate that you have got to make that decision so soon. You have been such an amazing caregiver for Neyla. SHe has been lucky to have such a phenomenal person in her life.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Jen :grouphug I don't even know what to say :cry1

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest PiagetsMom

Jen, I try to keep up with you and Neyla, but I don't always visit H&M or the ABT, so I'm afraid I miss some of your updates. My heart goes out to you - I'm sorry for the pain that this decision that you're facing is causing you. Maureen is so right......it's so hard for us to do this a day too early, but that's the pain that we face.......a day too late is their pain. Know that I have you and Neyla in my thoughts :grouphug

Edited by PiagetsMom

Guest ChasesMum

Oh Jen *hugs* Take the week, see how she does - you probably can be last thing on Friday at the vet if you need to be. I don't know what your vet is doing this weekend or what the on call deal is etc. What would happen if you wanted to wait, and it had to be over Christmas break, and how would that look and feel to you... are valid questions. Maybe your vet would do a housecall or meet you at the clinic - that would be ok in my books. I think knowing may help? Sometimes it clarifies the answer some.

I had Chase booked in for the Tuesday, then cancelled and the Friday we had to decide because it was a long weekend, our vet was closed until Tuesday, and if she took a downturn that long weekend, we would have had to take Chase into the evet, sit there waiting, and not be able to have privacy and grieve at our own pace like we knew we could at our vet. Plus they do a footprint that I really wanted, and I would have had to do it myself at the evet (or before). So we decided, but I still wonder...but there was NO WAY we wanted to have to deal with the evet for that. no way.

But ya know... those last 3 days were just for me. She wasnt in a lot of pain, I don't think...but she was uncomfy and it was hard for her to be able to get outside. But she enjoyed some sunny days, and we took lots of pics of her and the kids, and that last morning (darn her!) she jumped up on my bed for the first time in probably 6 weeks. but she was so horribly swollen in the face...

merry f'n Christmas tho. blaargh!!!