Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Guest roselle

Well I will say she's in good spirits tonight despite the crash into the crate. She's painful, but she seems to have more spring in her step anyway. :dunno Tiny little tenative glimmer of hope. :hope

Shannon, glad you're recovering well. Hope you heal quickly.

Jen, I'm sending prayers that you will find the drug combo to get Neyla through the holidays. I hope you're taking care of your self. If Neyla was running fast enough to trip it sounds like she has some positive energy and momentum to boot. Please keep us updated on how you two are doing :hope:goodluck:gh_run2

Roselle and Gracy

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest greytfulhounds

Thanks for the update, Jen. I know you will make all the right decisions for Neyla. I am with everyone else, this disease sucks! :angryfire

Sending a :grouphug to both of you & if there is anything at all I can do for you or for Neyla I am here.

:grouphug

Just popping in to see how all the pups are doing and to let you know I am thinking of you

Jen - sending a cyber smooch for Neyla

Thanks Carolyn. :colgate

And thanks everyone else. Neyla is about the same this morning, limp is pretty pronounced but she sees to have a little more pick-up. And she ate her whole breakfast without any coaxing! :yay

While filling out the ridiculous spreadsheet for that kidney group, I noticed that Neyla's WBC is abnormally high for her recently. The values are well within the normal range, but greyhounds tend to run low and Neyla has even at times run below the normal low for greys. Putting everything in the ss the way I needed to made that obvious, but none of my vets would have noticed unless they were studying her previous reports in depth, which, well, fat chance. So I'm going to draw this to my vet's attention this afternoon and see what she thinks. Did anyone else have elevated WBC counts as the disease progressed? I know it makes sense in theory, but I don't think her lesion has progressed much so to me it seems related to all of this bladder/kidney stuff. :dunno

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest falconschild

Add another name to this damnable list...our Toby (A Blazing Glory) was just diagnosed. The lesions aren't on his long bones...they're in his pelvis. Our vet says it's been upwards of 20 years since he's seen osteo present like this in a greyhound. We plan to keep him comfortable, spoil him rotten, and just sort of see how things go from here.

Add another name to this damnable list...our Toby (A Blazing Glory) was just diagnosed. The lesions aren't on his long bones...they're in his pelvis. Our vet says it's been upwards of 20 years since he's seen osteo present like this in a greyhound. We plan to keep him comfortable, spoil him rotten, and just sort of see how things go from here.

I'm so sorry. :( What's your name btw?

If you're looking for pain mgt options, IV pamidronate might be worth looking into. The pain relief we saw for it was quite remarkable for the time it lasted. If you want more info, I'm happy to share, and also share why we may have encountered issues most people don't.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

i am so sorry your name is added to the list. our rivie's os was on her rib - there is lots of friendship and support for you on this thread -- and lots of great tips and advice as well - scritches to toby!!

edited to add - jen and neyla - you continue to be in our prayers!!!!

Edited by teri_d

I am sorry that Toby and you have joined us....I wish, one wish that no more pups are diagnosed. Please give Toby a hug for me and if you have any questions or concerns, we are all here for you. Unfortunately there is too much experience here with this disease.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest roselle

I'm so sorry that Toby has been added to the list. I hope you have plenty of comfortable time with him.

Roselle and Gracy

Guest falconschild

My name is Rox. DH is Allan. I had sort of figured, knowing retired racers, that eventually we'd have a cancer hound. I just don't think we expected it to be our sweet silly Goober-dog. Right now, he's on Novox, which has seemed to give him a certain amount of relief thus far, and Tramadol, which we start tonight. No matter what happens, I plan to send a copy of Toby's X-rays up to OSU at some point, in the hopes that maybe they'll provide some additional information that might end up helping another hound at some point.

Thanks for all the well wishes. This has sort of been a shock today.

Guest azlorenz

My name is Rox. DH is Allan. I had sort of figured, knowing retired racers, that eventually we'd have a cancer hound. I just don't think we expected it to be our sweet silly Goober-dog. Right now, he's on Novox, which has seemed to give him a certain amount of relief thus far, and Tramadol, which we start tonight. No matter what happens, I plan to send a copy of Toby's X-rays up to OSU at some point, in the hopes that maybe they'll provide some additional information that might end up helping another hound at some point.

Thanks for all the well wishes. This has sort of been a shock today.

With our Flashyman, we found that Tramadol didn't work as well as Gabapentin. It was a miracle when we needed it. Towards the end he was on Novox, a small amount of Tramadol and Gabapentin. I know exactly how you feel, we too figured eventually have an osteo dog but hoped with all our hearts it wouldn't be our sweet Flashyman. Love every day, minute, hour and second with him.

Guest racergirl435

I'm so sorry to hear about Toby. May you have many many days, weeks or hopefully months with him. I don't have much to offer other than oral support as my boy was diagnosed and sent to the bridge on the same day but there is lots of knowledge in this thread.

Jess

Guest falconschild

Last night was a rough one. I don't think Toby, Allan, or I has had more than a couple hours of sleep...seems like the Novox/Tramadol combo isn't doing much if anything. So as soon as I get some caffeine in me, I'll be calling our vet to regroup and see if he wants to go ahead and change his medications instead of waiting until the end of the week as we had originally agreed. I'm torn between the feeling angry and feeling guilty stages of grief, I think. I'll mention the Gabapentin and see if that's what he wants to do.

Last night was a rough one. I don't think Toby, Allan, or I has had more than a couple hours of sleep...seems like the Novox/Tramadol combo isn't doing much if anything. So as soon as I get some caffeine in me, I'll be calling our vet to regroup and see if he wants to go ahead and change his medications instead of waiting until the end of the week as we had originally agreed. I'm torn between the feeling angry and feeling guilty stages of grief, I think. I'll mention the Gabapentin and see if that's what he wants to do.

Keep in mind that you can go quite high on the Tramadol and Gabapentin doses without risk of side effects (except for drowsiness or a little wooziness, in which case you'd want to back off a bit). Neyla is on 125 mg Tramadol and 300 mg of Gabapentin, both 3x/day and she is actually allowed to go up to 500 mg of Gabapentin 3x/day, but I saw some wooziness at that dose so backed off. She only weighs 55 lbs so I'm assuming your boy could have more. Neyla is also on 50 mg Deramaxx daily and honestly, that's the drug that I feel helps her the most. We just can't increase any more b/c of risk of side effects.

I think Neyla's leg is swollen, and today she didn't want to eat breakfast again, and there was some blood on her stool. :( I am debating whether to take her in for an x-ray or not. I want to b/c I feel it will give me confirmation about the decision I need to make, but I also think it's selfish to put her through it. :cry1

Guest roselle

Keep in mind that you can go quite high on the Tramadol and Gabapentin doses without risk of side effects (except for drowsiness or a little wooziness, in which case you'd want to back off a bit). Neyla is on 125 mg Tramadol and 300 mg of Gabapentin, both 3x/day and she is actually allowed to go up to 500 mg of Gabapentin 3x/day, but I saw some wooziness at that dose so backed off. She only weighs 55 lbs so I'm assuming your boy could have more. Neyla is also on 50 mg Deramaxx daily and honestly, that's the drug that I feel helps her the most. We just can't increase any more b/c of risk of side effects.

I think Neyla's leg is swollen, and today she didn't want to eat breakfast again, and there was some blood on her stool. :( I am debating whether to take her in for an x-ray or not. I want to b/c I feel it will give me confirmation about the decision I need to make, but I also think it's selfish to put her through it. :cry1

Oh Jen, I'm so sorry that Neyla is having a hard time. It must be horrible not knowing what to do next. You have been such a wonderful mom to Neyla, and you'll know what to do. You have 24 hour/7 days a week support here, use it. You have been such a great support to everyone else. I know I don't know what I would have done without your guidance when Gracy was diagnosed. I'm sending a huge hug and lots of courage. :gh_child:grouphug:huh2:weep

Roselle and Gracy

Guest greytfulhounds

Rox, I am so sorry that you & Toby have had to make your way to this thread. I lost my Danny to osteo on October 21st.

Danny was on a combo of Rimadyl & Tramadol & my vet had said if needed we could have added in the Gabapentin but we never got that far. If I can be of any help or support to you & Toby, please ask. This is a great place for information & the support is amazing. I keep coming back to try & support others but it is also selfish in that I feel like I am not letting go of Danny to be here. Sending :grouphug to you & Toby.

Guest greytfulhounds

Jen, I have tears in my eyes as I read your post. I just want you to know that I am keeping you & Neyla in my heart & prayers. I am here if I can do anything for you. I think I am only about 2 hours from you too & would absolutely make the drive if you need someone to be with you. You were so wonderful to me & Danny & I want to help you & Neyla in any way I can. :grouphug:hope

Guest racergirl435

Sorry to hear Toby is having a rough time. I hope you're able to ease his pain.

Jen, very sorry to hear about Neyla. I'm sure it must be very tough to keep fighting this disease and then second guessing yourself. You shouldn't feel guilty though. If you think doing x-rays will help you make whatever decision you need to make, Neyla will understand. I'm sure she knows that you are doing everything in your power to keep her comfortable and as happy as she can be.

On Gypsy's last day before her vet appointment at 4:30, I had increased her tramado to 150 mg 4 times a day and her Gaba to 300 3 times a day and her rymadyl to twice a day. she was getting some kind of pain pill every hour on the hour just to keep her comfortable till we got her to the vet to go to the Rainbow Bridge. I figured worst case, she'd just die in her sleep from overdose of pain meds.

She was pretty woozy from all the pain meds, but I preferred that over the extreme pain she had that last day. The day before her last, she seemed to be holding steady. Then on Monday morning when I went to get her up and out to pee, she looked at me and I knew it was today. I still wonder - did I do it too soon? too late? Not enough meds? Too many meds?

But when we got to the vet's office, they gave her a shot of pain meds/tranquilizer. they left us in the room with her for however long we wanted, then they came back and gave her the IV of whatever the drug is they use to euthanize. Gypsy was such a fighter; she had to have a second shot to stop her heart from beating - the vet said she had given her a double dose in the first IV that should have knocked out a 100 pound dog. So I guess I didn't overdose her that last day, even tho I fed her pain pills like they were candy.

Connie

Guest falconschild

Toby did better last night and today. Perhaps we have enough painkillers in his system now that he is comfortable. I'm hoping he'll sleep through the night again tonight, so that we all can get some more rest. I suppose like a golfer, we'll "play it as it lays." Now if we can just encourage him to eat more, we'll be even better off. Toby's always been a chow hound extraordinaire...for him to be off his food tells me how uncomfortable he was. He's eating some food, but nowhere near as much as in the past, and with less gusto.