Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

DH snapped this photo of our Arathorn (4.5 months post DX) this weekend:

IMG_0003.jpg

He had a check-up with our vet yesterday. We're still status quo on the pain meds. Tumor is larger but his cancer does not seem to be especially aggressive at this time. Every day's a blessing!

Lois

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest vahoundlover

Jen, you know your baby girl better than anybody, I know with all my heart that you will make the right decisions for Neyla. I'm sorry sounds so cold, but it's how I really feel, sorry that Neyla is fighting the worst monster there is , sorry that you have had to fight this battle, sorry that you are facing the worst decision a person has to make. :grouphug :grouphug

Jen, we are here for you and will be thinking of you both this week. Neyla has been lucky to have you and she has done fantastic considering everything. She is a brave soul.

DH snapped this photo of our Arathorn (4.5 months post DX) this weekend:

IMG_0003.jpg

He had a check-up with our vet yesterday. We're still status quo on the pain meds. Tumor is larger but his cancer does not seem to be especially aggressive at this time. Every day's a blessing!

Lois

Lois, I am glad to hear Arathorn is still doing well! He is a very handsome hound - love his colours!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Lois, Arathorn looks great! So happy to hear he is doing well.

Karen, my family lives in Pgh. I am driving back on Christmas Eve so that's been a big factor in my decision making. I had hoped to be able to take her with me, but I don't want to risk having to take her to an unfamiliar vet to be put down while we're there. Plus, we're staying in a relatively strange place (we stayed their last year, my mom's neighbor let's me stay there while she's out of town) and while she'd be okay, I'm not sure she would enjoy the traveling.

It's all moot anyway. It's been getting harder to get Neyla to eat, mostly it was in the mornings and seh would do well with dinner, but last night she didn't want her dinner. Thank god my vet had recommended baby food and I had picked up 2 cans yseterday on a whim. She seems to really like it so I can put a little in a bowl to get her started and then mix the rest in with her food and she'll eat some of it. Anyway, eating was one of the things on our list so this only solidifies my resolve about what I have to do. So unless something goes downhill really quickly, it will be Wednesday or Thursday.

I think in some self protective way I have completely dissociated my brain from any thought of it. It's just this thing that is happening in the future and I am not going to think about it until that future is here. I want to just spend these last couple of days focused on Neyla and being positive for her.

More mouth diarrhea. :blah Thank you so much for the support. I really could not do this without you guys.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jen, I'm so sorry. Your ability to research and find ways of prolonging the quality of life Neyla has is just outstanding. I wish this day wouldn't come. I sorta did what you are doing - disassociating the future reality from the present. The day I decided it was Gypsy's last, I called the vet in the morning, arranged the payment and all the questions, set up the appt. for last thing that day. Then I just loaded Gypsy up w/ lots of pain pills and laid her on the couch next to me. That's all I did that day; I'd pet the others when they came over, but I sat on the couch w/ Gypsy's head on my lap. She was ecstatic to have me to herself and we had a wonderful conversation. Gypsy "talked" a lot - she never read the Greyhound Rule Book. But I refused to think of what 4:30 was going to bring. That way I wasn't crying for Gypsy's last day and she wasn't upset because I wasn't.

It's hard, it's so very hard. And there's nothing anyone can do or say to make it better. You just get through it one breath at a time. And then it'll be a minute at a time, later an hour at a time and so on. Today is 2 weeks since I lost Gypsy; and I'm still crying and missing her. I count heads and think I'm missing one. I line the food bowls up and I'm one short. I talk on the phone and there's no Gypsy whining to me that I've been on the phone too long. I take a nap and there's no one to smack me awake shen she decides my naptime is over. There's no one to share my yogurt or drink my coffee with. It's just still too raw. grouphug.gif

Connie

Guest greytfulhounds

Jen, keeping you & Neyla in my thoughts. Having just had to make this decision with Danny my heart understands the pain you are feeling......I am so sorry you are in this place. Neyla has been so lucky to have you. You are a strong woman & your love for Neyla will help you through this difficult time.

A friend sent this quote to me after I lost my Joanie several years ago. Joanie & I went through a lot with her health for over a year until one day she finally made me understand that she was tired & with a broken heart I helped her on her way.

"Choosing euthanasia, if neccessary, is an owners moral resposibility to a pet who is sick or injured without hope of recovery. It is a final gift - an end to suffering - given in gratitude for a lifetime of love & devotion"

:bighug

Guest GreyhoundMommy

Jen, I am typically just a lurker here but just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like you are like me with the lists. I always keep an inventory of the three favorite things in the world my pups love to do and try to make that judgment call based on that but it isn't foolproof. For my males, it always appears that pooping or peeing is high on their lists of must haves while the girls are more into toys, food, and people. I know its so hard and you never want to let them go too early but it sometimes hurts much worse if you let them linger on too long.

Praying for you,

Ing

Jen, I'm so sorry. I lost two around the holidays. (in fact, the day after I lost my Brindle many years ago, her Christmas present arrived in the mail).

I also lost two this year, one my hearthound. The decision is so so difficult, but you know, it has to be made. Nothing will make it easier.

God Speed Neyla.

Guest ChasesMum

yeah Jen, that makes a lot of sense, lots of luv to you hun...

Connie, you had me bawling. nearly 5 mos after losing Chase I still miss her terribly, and I have no other houndie heads to pet...just my craaazy kidlets! oy.

The vet's office called today to tell me they have Gypsy's ashes back for me. Do I go Xmas eve to get them and cry and be miserable that day and Christmas? At least she'd be home again. Do I wait till Monday after Christmas, so I'm not debbie downer for Xmas day? But then Gypsy's not here at home. This time of year just sux for this kind of stuff. I really hate this.

Connie

Guest falconschild

I'm so sorry you and Neyla are facing this journey together...the time of year does not make it any better. It may sound silly...but at least in heart and in spirit, I'm sure many if not all of us here will walk with you.

For some small amount of good news - Toby is wagging his tail again, demanding chest-rubs, and spent the night before last driving us absolutely insane because he was, finally, hungry and wanted food. A LOT of it. That's my chow hound boy. Though I know it's not recovery by any stretch of the imagination, it does me good to know these signs mean he's not hurting anymore and feels more like his old self.

I am just a lurker in this thread and have been following everyone's trials and tribulations as they walk this awful path with their beloved hounds. I wanted to let you know that everyone, especially Neyla and Jen, have been and will be in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing everyone peace.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Well I wanted to let you know that I've reached a final decision and I will be letting Neyla go tomorrow. Sadly it doesn't look like we are going ot get the few days of really good pain relief so that she could trot around and play and take some longer walks that I had hoped, but the additional increases in her Deramaxx dosage is keeping her comfortable at least. And she is being a total attention whore. :P Constant bedroom/pet me eyes and super snuggly so our plan for today is to do just that, snuggle.

I'm going to post to GT later, but we have one final present in reserve so I figured I would post video of that. Will probably put that in EEG this afternoon.

Thanks everyone for all of the support.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest roselle

Jen, I'll be thinking of you and sending you courage and hugs. Neyla it will be so sad not to see your mom's blogs about you but we all know she has done every thing to keep you comfortable and happy for as long as possible. Run free. Roselle and Gracy :gh_runner:brokenheart:bighug:weep

Guest racergirl435

Connie, if it was me I would want the ashes home. Strangely enough, it made me less miserable once I had Seymour back. He now sits in our living room, keeping watch over us all.

Jen, my heart just aches for you. I have been thinking about you all morning. I wish I could give you a real hug. Enjoy your day with Neyla. I look forward to seeing the video.

Guest greytfulhounds

Jen, continuing to send prayers of strength to you. Please give Neyla an extra snuggle from me. You will both be in my thoughts. :grouphug

The vet's office called today to tell me they have Gypsy's ashes back for me. Do I go Xmas eve to get them and cry and be miserable that day and Christmas? At least she'd be home again. Do I wait till Monday after Christmas, so I'm not debbie downer for Xmas day? But then Gypsy's not here at home. This time of year just sux for this kind of stuff. I really hate this.

Connie

Bring Gypsy home for the holidays.....you might even find, that even though sad, it brings you some peace & closure to have her home with you. :bighug

Jen, enjoy your snuggling with Neyla today. That's what I did too on the last day - just snuggled and loved on Gypsy. She was as happy as could be. I had her heavily medicated so she could be comfortable, even if a little drowsy.

I wish there were some way to make it easier, but there's not. It's a journey you have to take by yourself. Friends and loved ones can help support you on the journey, but at the end it is just you and Neyla.

Run free as the wind, Neyla, and may you chase many bunnies at the bridge.

Connie

Guest carolxi

Hi All,

I have tried 3 times now to post a Christmas/Holiday e-mail with pic of Anubis who died of osteo in Aug. 2010. The messages keep getting posted on the general medical site and not on this thread. BUT the message is really for you guys who I went through this with, since July. Please have a look at the Anubis rest in peace post and pics.

Thanks all and try to have a peaceful holiday. Carolxi

Connie

Connie, I'm going to agree with racergirl435: Bring Gypsy home on Christmas eve.

You're going to be missing her on Christmas day, whatever you do. I sometimes talked to Oreo's ashes in the first few days, and you might wind up talking to Gypsy. Even if you don't talk to her, she'll be home, where she belongs--even though that will be rough for you and feel all wrong.

Nothing's going to feel right for quite a while, but getting her home is the start of continuing with your life.

Thinking of you...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Hi All,

I have tried 3 times now to post a Christmas/Holiday e-mail with pic of Anubis who died of osteo in Aug. 2010. The messages keep getting posted on the general medical site and not on this thread. BUT the message is really for you guys who I went through this with, since July. Please have a look at the Anubis rest in peace post and pics.

Thanks all and try to have a peaceful holiday. Carolxi

I saw your post of your beautiful boy Anubis. It is good to hear from you again and our thoughts are with you and all the others who have lost their hounds, it can be very difficult at this time of year.

Connie, I would also bring Gypsy's ashes back home before Christmas but that is just me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest carolxi

Connie

Hi Connie,

I picked up Anubis's ashes. It came in a huge box, with a beautiful ceramic imprint of his foot. I still haven't been able to bring myself to open the box and see what else is in there. So I have put the whole box on top of the TV in the livingroom. When I get stronger about it, I will unpack the box. I wanted at least to have him home with me and that is as far as I have got. Just a thought. I know how it feels.

Well, I guess the popular vote is to bring Gypsy home for Christmas. I'm going to try to go get her tomorrow; they're predicting bad weather for Christmas Eve. I got my heart dog's (a westie) ashes back 5 years ago from this same vet. She is on the bookcase in our bedroom. I've never had the courage to open the box. It's a nice cedar box with her name engraved on it.

I just feel a piece of me is missing, so hopefully bringing Gypsy home for good will help heal my heart.

Thanks, everyone.

Connie

Guest racergirl435

Connie, it does help. I had to wait 3 weeks to get Seymour's ashes and every day it seemed like he was getting further away. He came in a very nice cedar box. I did open it when I got home. It made me cry to see my big handsome boy become so small, but it brought me a lot of peach having him here and it still does. He is my heart dog and I still miss him terribly and wonder if it will ever get easier. I just thank God that my husband came around before Christmas because I don't think I could have bore not having a hound in the house at Christmas.

Jen, I am thinking of you. May God watch over you and Neyla today.