Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Shannon and Jen, I hear you on the H&M. I came here a lot when I first joined years ago, same with T&B, but after awhile it gets hard. Now I'm in here all teh time, both asking for help and responding to posts, and there are always so many damn threads about osteo or suspected osteo. :(

Jen, just a big hug to you. :(

And Shannon, don't you dare apologize about venting about Lexie - it's hard enough dealing with one sick pup. I don't think I could hold it together with a second so you vent as much as you want. I'm glad to hear she's having a much better day though and overall things are looking a little brighter.

I decided 2 walks to dwell is too much, I'm back to one, just our morning walk (which is the longer one at least :lol). But I'm not going to officially start that until tomorrow so I can have one last rant, k? K. :) Came home to a big accident on the dog bed in teh bedroom - the antibiotics clearly aren't working for Neyla. And her pain is increased again now that I've reduced the Deramaxx, not as bad as before or that she can't have a mostly normal day, but enough that I'm not longer sure if the pamidronate has helped yet, or will. Things could be so much worse, but still, it's frustrating and it's time for more decision making, which we all know that I suck at. :rolleyes:

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest azlorenz

Shannon and Jen, I hear you on the H&M. I came here a lot when I first joined years ago, same with T&B, but after awhile it gets hard. Now I'm in here all teh time, both asking for help and responding to posts, and there are always so many damn threads about osteo or suspected osteo. :(

Jen, just a big hug to you. :(

And Shannon, don't you dare apologize about venting about Lexie - it's hard enough dealing with one sick pup. I don't think I could hold it together with a second so you vent as much as you want. I'm glad to hear she's having a much better day though and overall things are looking a little brighter.

I decided 2 walks to dwell is too much, I'm back to one, just our morning walk (which is the longer one at least :lol). But I'm not going to officially start that until tomorrow so I can have one last rant, k? K. :) Came home to a big accident on the dog bed in teh bedroom - the antibiotics clearly aren't working for Neyla. And her pain is increased again now that I've reduced the Deramaxx, not as bad as before or that she can't have a mostly normal day, but enough that I'm not longer sure if the pamidronate has helped yet, or will. Things could be so much worse, but still, it's frustrating and it's time for more decision making, which we all know that I suck at. :rolleyes:

:bighug

Guest vahoundlover

Things could be so much worse, but still, it's frustrating and it's time for more decision making, which we all know that I suck at. :rolleyes:

I think you do a remarkable job with researching and deciding on your plan of action. Don't cut yourself short, you are constantly having to make decisions and seem to be doing a damn good job of it. :grouphug

Guest racergirl435

After almost 3 months without my big silly boy Seymour there are parts of me that envy you who still have your hounds. There are larger parts that don't. Though I know I'm a strong person, it's almost better things with Seymour happened the way they did. I just don't know if I could be making the same decisions some of you are having to make on an almost daily basis. I think having to deal the with up and down emotions would destroy me worse than the loss. I commend you all for having the strength to do it. I still miss him so much and it doesn't feel like it's getting any easier. I just try to push those emotions to the back because every time I start to think about it, I break down. Like Sunday for instance. I was just washing the dishes and looking out the window and a thought about how he used to run around and chase the rabbits crossed my mind and I broke down. Cried the entire time while I was washing the dishes. Life just isn't the same without him. I'm doing my best, but it just doesn't seem to work that well sometimes.

So for those of you fighting this battle, the only advice I have is to take one day at a time as it comes. You will know what decisions you have to make when you have to make them.

God bless these creatures.

Jess

as thanksgiving is on my mind i just want to tell you all how thankful i am for each of you -- you got me through one of the toughest times of my life -- you were there for my rants, cries for help, ups and downs being supportive and becoming my friends. to each of you still fighting the fight, you have my admiration and support - i am your biggest cheerleader!! i LOVE to hear your good news and i celebrate with you! to those of you who, like me, have lost the fight - my heart is with you and i truly understand. i am so thankful to have this thread of "everything you ever wanted (and didn't want) to know about osteo" - what a GREAT resource for all. i too never visited h&m on gt - but i am so thankful it was here when i needed it - and that you all were placed in my life - i could not have gotten through the summer and fall without each of you -- so happy thanksgiving to you dear ones - be thankful for each day with your sweet pups - we NONE of us know what tomorrow holds - HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

now go feed those pups some turkey!!!

Shannon, glad to hear Lexie is doing better and that Flash man is doing well!

Jen, (Whizzer's mom), anything like that, the extra bowl, the empty collar, anything that reminds us of one's loss is hard.

Jess, I remember Seymour. He's running after the rabbits all the time now, there's no end to the rabbits where he is and he has a lot of friends joining in the chase.

Jen (Neyla's mom), I hope the pamidronate treatment kicks in soon!

Teri, Happy Thanksgiving to you too! No turkey here for us but we'll raise a toast to all our Southern neighbours! It does mean a day off for me though!

As I was asked for pics of Charlie, I thought I would oblige. Right now he's whining at me for his dinner - that's my Charlie boy. He was squirrel hunting this morning with his brother. Luckily this time the red squirrel was quick enough to get through the fence but he still kept looking for him!

DSC_00803651.jpg

Is he down here?

DSC_00903661.jpg

I'm bored now Daddy, take me in.

DSC_01003670.jpg

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Kyle,

He is just beautiful.....and what a tremendous spirit and will he has.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I think you do a remarkable job with researching and deciding on your plan of action. Don't cut yourself short, you are constantly having to make decisions and seem to be doing a damn good job of it. :grouphug

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I wish I could be easier on myself sometimes.

Day 1 of Operation Only Worry on AM Walks is going well though. :) I woke up in better spirits, I think just making the decision to be more positive helped.

Jess :grouphug

Teri, thank you so much for all of your support. The fact that you are so present cheering us on means so much!

Charlie. :wub: I just think he is so handsome. Neyla does too and would like to know if Charlie likes the older ladies? ;)

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest ChasesMum

Jen, don't you worry too much about Neyla. she has an iron will that one! :wub:

Kyle, you do have a handsome boy!!

Jess, I hear ya ALL TOO WELL! We are hitting the 4 months mark after Chase passed, and its still hard. I am kind of dreading pulling out her stocking from the Christmas box. Its one that I had made in her likeness a couple years ago...and i got a cleaning bug up my butt and so I decided to clear up some of our bedroom and that meant moving her bed (which has been leaning against the wall) and her box of things, out and into storage. sigh. it will leave a big empty spot where her bed was for the entire time we have lived in this house. I don't know what to put there. Maybe the baby's playpen? (Not that he sleeps anywhere but in our bed :lol)

Shannon, glad Flash is doing ok...

Guest azlorenz

as thanksgiving is on my mind i just want to tell you all how thankful i am for each of you -- you got me through one of the toughest times of my life -- you were there for my rants, cries for help, ups and downs being supportive and becoming my friends. to each of you still fighting the fight, you have my admiration and support - i am your biggest cheerleader!! i LOVE to hear your good news and i celebrate with you! to those of you who, like me, have lost the fight - my heart is with you and i truly understand. i am so thankful to have this thread of "everything you ever wanted (and didn't want) to know about osteo" - what a GREAT resource for all. i too never visited h&m on gt - but i am so thankful it was here when i needed it - and that you all were placed in my life - i could not have gotten through the summer and fall without each of you -- so happy thanksgiving to you dear ones - be thankful for each day with your sweet pups - we NONE of us know what tomorrow holds - HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

now go feed those pups some turkey!!!

And we are all thankful for you as well. :grouphug

Charlie said 'yes' to all girlfriends....he's such a playboy. He better not let Molleigh (Carol's pup, aka GreyKarma) hear about this though otherwise there may be trouble!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Oh goodie, I will let Neyla know. But I will NOT be telling her about the other ladies as she would not approve. <_<

She could use a bit of good news. Just followed up with my oncologist. Clavamox isn't doing anything for her, if anything her water consumption and accidents (always on her bed in her sleep) are increasing. She had 2 accidents overnight including one in bed with me, oh joy! :rolleyes: We have an appt Friday afternoon to get an ultrasound guided sterile culture. The ultrasound isn't a full ultrasound, but it will hopefully give us a quick look to rule out tumors or stones and then we want for the culture (and more blood work and another urinalysis) to come back. Does anyone know where I can get a money tree?

Guest racergirl435

Charlie is so handsome. The will of these dogs truly is amazing. Thanks for all the hugs. I am avoiding removing any beds. It was hard enough removing his bowls. Now, it's just a big empty space, along with the hole in my heart. I'm seriously thinking about broaching the dog subject with DH this weekend. I just can't stand it anymore. Wish me luck. Jen, good luck with the ultrasound. I hope they figure out what's going on with her.

Guest greytfulhounds

I am sorry I have not stopped by in a little while. At the same time Danny was fighting osteo, Hunter, my first greyhound, has been struggling with laryngeal paralysis which was getting pretty bad. I finally put my fear aside & he had a unilateral tie-back done on Tuesday. I was petrified that I might lose him so close to losing Danny. Hunter seems to be in some discomfort but I am happy to report that he has done well since his procedure.....somewhat of a relief.

I wanted to stop by here especially today to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving & let you know how thankful I have been to have all of you & this thread as Danny & I tried to fight this monster. You have all been a blessing in my life.

It is just a little over a month since losing Danny & I miss him so much every day. Just this morning I found myself with 7 bowls on the counter, for 6 dogs, as I was making their breakfast. I have not done that in a while & the emotions just came rushing back. :cry1 I know he is painfree now & I am very thankful that we had a month after diagnosis......I know that was a gift.

My thoughts & prayers are always with those of you still fighting and my heart is with all of you that have suffered losses.

I wanted to share the below photos with you all. Two of my dearest friends had a painting done of Danny as a remembrance gift to me. One is the photo they used & the other the painting. Ironically, this painting arrived the night before Hunter's tie-back surgery & in my heart I took that as a sign that Danny would be watching over Hunter as he went through his procedure.

Hugs to you all & may you have a wonderful day filled with all that you are thankful for! :bighug

dannypainting1.jpg

dannypainting.jpg

Guest racergirl435

What a beautiful tribute. You just brought tears to my eyes with that. I pray that your Hunter continues to improve.

Happy Turkey Day to you all my friends.

Jess

Aw, Sherry, what a beautiful painting. A wonderful gift from your friends and such good timing. I will send good thoughts your way that Hunter continues to heal well. :hope

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Sherry, that is a great picture of Danny. He was a very handsome boy. I am glad to hear Hunter's tie-back went well. I hope he recovers well.

Guest azlorenz

I hate this damned disease. Flash hasn't eaten since yesterday morning and then it was just a nibble. I could tell Wednesday he wasn't feeling good. I did manage to get down 2 jars of his favorite post amp food (or should I say the only thing I could force down him) --- Beechnut Beef and Beef Broth. His breathing seems more labored than usual, however, he did go on his walk this morning.

Bah Humbug.

Hope all you all are having a better day than we are :weep

Sherry, I didn't realize your Danny was that handsome -- and what a beautiful painting too.

Shannon, I'm sorry your boy isn't well. Hoping he will have a better day today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytfulhounds

I hate this damned disease. Flash hasn't eaten since yesterday morning and then it was just a nibble. I could tell Wednesday he wasn't feeling good. I did manage to get down 2 jars of his favorite post amp food (or should I say the only thing I could force down him) --- Beechnut Beef and Beef Broth. His breathing seems more labored than usual, however, he did go on his walk this morning.

Bah Humbug.

Hugs & many prayers being sent to Flash. :grouphug:hope

Shannon, I'm sorry to hear Flash had a rough day yesterday. Hoping he's doing better today. :hope I hate that you're having to deal with this, and especially with the holidays. I was feeling pretty depressed myself yesterday so what did I do, delayed as long as I could, then showed up at may friend's mom's late and got drunk. Happy holidays! ;)

Today is sterile culture day. Wish us luck for a relatively low stress visit and a bacterial infection we can treat easily. :goodluck

Bah Humbug.

Shannon, we all hate this disease - words are inappropriate for this forum to describe the hatred. I'm sorry to hear Flash is not eating and will hope he decides to later today.

And to Mr. Flash, come on boy, you need to eat and keep your strength up. Stop worrying your mommy!

Shannon, what kind of foods are you trying to feed Flash? I just remembered that Kristin has mentioned she had a lot of success getting Sutra to eat mashed potatoes - that was before he was dx'ed with osteo, he was quite sick for other reasons when she adopted him, but I know she had a lot of success with them. Maybe those mixed with some of the beef & broth he likes would get his appetite going again?

Guest azlorenz

I was feeling pretty depressed myself yesterday so what did I do, delayed as long as I could, then showed up at may friend's mom's late and got drunk. Happy holidays! ;)

Today is sterile culture day. Wish us luck for a relatively low stress visit and a bacterial infection we can treat easily. :goodluck

Wish I could have been there to join in and raise a glass with you.

Flash is still not doing good. He is having some labored breathing. He can be pretty stubborn in the food dept. He looks at it like we've spiked it with something. However, last night we tried to get him to eat some steak but he acted like it hurt to chew it. I didn't have much trouble getting the baby food down so maybe he has a sore or irritation in his mouth or throat causing him discomfort.

Hope Neyla's Dr. visit provides answers and relief. :goodluck

Edited by azlorenz